Need opinions on barefoot sandals: suitable for guys?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Cool Spruce, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

We have had great threads on whether toe rings, anklets, and even flops are suitable for us guys. I always vote YES, even if these things sometimes confer a slight feminine edge to it. But if anything that adds to the fun for me. But there's a line. Might be different for all us guys. So I want to ask people of all kinds to tell me whether you think barefoot sandals (toe thong anklets?) are too feminine for most of us or all of us, or are just cool, regardless.

A friend of my wife's, who supports my barefootedness, sent me a small kit from Bare Foot Chick (beads, elastics, instructions included.) I thought this was very nice of her, where she's not a barefooter herself. I see many pictures from my Google searches, but always these are shown on young women's feet (as far as I can tell) and in reading results it seems these are for girls and women only. Poop. Once again, so much of the fun is reserved for females! Again, there's a point where too feminine becomes too feminine, but that boundary is vague (making it even more interesting!)

Here's a link to one source:
    http://www.natashascafe.com/html/barefoot.html

I seem to have forgotten how to use this board software and insert a pic of my own. The ones I was sent in the kit are narower and darker than these. I think they look great, and as the text says, maybe get us out of that stupid problem of no bare feet allowed.
    [​IMG]

2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I had these barefoot sandals made for me from someone in Germany a few years back. They were designed from a product called "Barebottoms", a barefoot sandal made back in the 1960's. Unfortunately these seem to be no longer sold by the company who made them. They have done a good job of fooling store clerks as upon a quick glance it looks as though I am wearing some kind of a sandal.

Yes, barefoot sandals seem to be only for women (bummer!) as I found out when looking for them on individual websites and Ebay. Too feminine looking for me, as they are often marketed as a cute ladies fashion accessory for around the pool and beach weddings. Never do they say you can wear them when out on the town, shopping, running errands etc.

3. bfrank

bfrank Member

Those actually look pretty good, Barefoot-boy. The point of barefoot sandals seems to me is for them to appear at first glance like regular sandals that someone might wear, and therefore it's not likely to occur to anyone that you're actually barefoot (or almost). I agree with you and Cool Spruce, in that almost all you see advertised on the Internet or elsewhere are basically for women. A guy wearing something like that might look kind of cool in a way, but there's no way somebody's going to assume at first glance that those are normal sandals that a guy would normally wear. In fact they are more likely to attract attention to the feet rather than the other way around, seems to me. Of course, if that's your goal, similar to wearing toe rings or ankle bracelets, then that's fine.

Barefoot sandals for men - that really kind of look like a man's sandals - pretty much have to be self constructed. The SBL website has a section on barefoot sandals, and some of the illustrations are pretty good examples of barefoot sandals suitable for men. http://www.barefooters.org/faq/22.html

4. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

I haven't yet decided whether I would wear these to look cool, or as a way to go unhassled into public places. That will take some time. I just got this as a gift from a supportive female friend nearly my age, and will start by finding if this is appropriate anywhere! Again, I'm not as young and cute as I once was, but I look damn good for my age. But I don't want to push my luck either!

Thanks for the replies so far. I look forward to some more. Thanks, all.

5. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I think its all personal preference. Some guys wear things I think are feminine, but hey, that's just me. I have made a pair of barefoot sandals out of plain leather cord. I think they are cool - someone else may not. To each his or her own. If you think the ones available on the web are too feminine for you make a pair you like.

6. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

Actually, many of them I think would look good on me, or at least, I'd like the way they look on me. This is just my occasional nod to "what will others think." That's interesting, because in most things I do, I don't care what others think. But anytime I stray into new territory, I have to wonder, and this is the forum to test the waters, I suppose.

I'm going to go ahead and make them, and if I decide it isn't right in any way, they'll convert easily to anklets, which I am very comfortable with. By the way, I think the leather cord idea is cool, and I've had great ankle bracelets from them in the past. Reminds me to go get some.

7. FrightfulAccountant

FrightfulAccountant Member

Listen:
    If you are man, and you want to make a good impression,
    wear dark black leather shoes and a pair of long dark dress socks.

Maybe, if you are skumb and wants to look like skumb, you can actualy wear those sandals yeah...

8. bkcmar

bkcmar keep those feet bare

bfrank, thanks for the the link regarding barefoot sandals for men.

9. bige1030

bige1030 Member

I'm not sure what I think of these:

http://www.jewels-by-jan.com/weddings.htm

Scroll down to find the groom's barefoot sandal.

They look pretty cool, but they still might be a little femme. I do think they're a bit expensive, as well. Also, it may be a bit harder to fool someone by them since they don't go down to the sole area.

10. Barefoot Traveller

Barefoot Traveller Member

I think barefoot sandals look good on bare feet, no matter if it's a guy or gal wearing them! I've done it often, and I feel they match well with my strong, tanned feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

Thanks for the additional replies, everyone! I'm going to bead these together and I'm going to try them. I don't mind a certain level of femininity in my life. I'm guy enough to suit me, and those who I know. By April every year I have tanned feet like Barefoot Traveller, (yes, by April!) and these will look good on me.

12. mrpwonder

mrpwonder Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have several pair I have worn for years. Theyre great to fool anit-barefooters>

13. FrightfulAccountant

God bless dress shoes...

14. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Yes! Those tight uncomfortable, corporate, foot damaging, smelly, useless pieces of expensive leather foot prisons you are throwing away because bare feet are so much more comfortable and good for your overall health.

Barefeet Rule!

15. FrightfulAccountant

Whom said I wanted to become old and stay healthy in the first place...? ;)

Don't find barefoot thet confortebel actualy...
    I have a very sensitive skin (caused by Anemia) and without shoes, I would get ingured in no time...

16. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

I won't fall fall for your baits ever again! Hah! Once was enough. Not again. You are a silly person![​IMG]

17. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

QFT

Although, I'd be happy to help him along in his fervent hopes of an untimely demise...

18. FrightfulAccountant

Ah my friend, we come out of very different cultures. Let we say it was some cultureshock to me... :D

Maybe I like being silly.
    You can say I am white and nerdy... :D

19. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

Same can be said of my 19 year old son.

I'm just having you on, (or funning you, as some say,) the way you are doing with me. Silly is fine. Um, I had the idea you are from the Netherlands, (or is it UK?) Netherlands supposedly is loosened up and free, as a whole nation, like certain special parts of the US? (We do have our small parts which are like the Netherlands, even if the US as a whole is rather uptight.)

I am certain many parts of the US would be a frightful culture shock, but I don't know which part(s) you may have seen. My particular section (Maine) is quite cold, and has a very strange mix of liberal and conservative. I think our northern tier of states has people who mostly want to be left alone to do as they please, and thus will tolerate the foibles of others.

Oddly enough, England was not much of a culture shock to me when I was there once, or if it was any kind of a shock, it was a very pleasant one.

20. FrightfulAccountant

I come from Belgium. ;)
    Without the EU we would go to a civilian war now...
    We live with two different cultures in one nation.
    One day something will break here... ;)

My knowledge about the USA is most accurat for things that have to do with Wall Street. :D

For What the Brits concern: in our continental eyes their is not that much difference between an American and a Brit...
    You are both Angelsaktisch and like to play a very dominant political game... ;)