Need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by eccofarmer, May 12, 2004.

1. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I have a question that i need help with.I can not change my home page.I go to settings and change it and when i turn mt system back on it will go back to some page that i nver put on as my home page.Any help to over ride this would be great.

2. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

IF you pay attention to your Address Bar, you'll notice that almost EVERY home page is named Index.html. That's the one you need to work on and "Save". And in some cases Upload. and write over.

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Thanks bro i will go look there.I thought you would know.You have been agreat help many times.Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

You've got spyware/adware on your computer. Go get Lavasoft's Adaware and scan your system with it on a regular basis; it'll find TONS of stuff on your drive, and remove it, that can cause your system to slow down, or, in some cases, change your homepage. ;)

You might also look into a virus scanner. I was recently hit with JAVABYTE_VERA-1, which nestles itself into your Java VM and allows spammers to take control of your AIM and other such goodies. :(

5. Tô®n

Tô®n Member

Thanks for the tip on the JAVABYTE_VERA-1 eat_some_acid_and_shutup, i will try to let others know about that one. As far as pritam's problem goes I would have to agree the number one cause of you're home page being hijacked is ad-ware or Spyware, it's happend to me before, here is a link to a site http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/lalalachat/Utilities.htm
    I made that will link you to handy freeware programs, or just look for Spybot Search & Destroy or Ad-aware, I myself like Spybot S&D but some people like Ad-aware, either way, if you're on the net at all you need one of these. I would caution people though to watch out becuase some Spyware removing programs hide adware, spybots, trojans etc., in them. A few that i know of off hand are, iSpyNow, SpyBlast, and Spyware Nuker. The last two are just recording types of Sypware, but iSpyNow get's my Usux awared because it basicley acts as a trojan, opening up a port that can be accesed by those who know what to look for. I don't know the port offhand but i am sure a google search would tell you. ~peace~
    btw- if you go here http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/lalalachat/index.html
    and go to freeware, i got a lot of links and reviews, also Son of a Spy , Download.com are great sites for Freeware that might help you out.

6. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If your just locked out of editing it the ewasiet way is to

Start>Run>Regedit

do a serch for your current home page and replace it with something more 31337 liek about:blank or SUPER AWESOME http://31337.pl

7. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

just curious, what is the homepage that yer stuck with?

a lil while ago i got hijacked, and was stuck going to a homepage, omegasearch or something like that. it also came with a very annoying toolbar. was a complete bitch to get rid of. still not sure if its gone.

i guess thats what i get for installing some program thats not even in english(dont ask me why, i have no fucking clue)

8. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

Meh, you should also try running through your Add/Remove Programs setup in the Control Panel, and remove anything conspicuous. ;)

BTW, migu, nice sig. :p

9. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

get the netsky tool.

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Wow thank you everyone for the help.Have not done a restart yet but re-downloaded Ad-Aware and Spybot.Spybot found a huge load of crap that ad-aware did not find.Let you know how this turns out now.Thanks again.

11. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Adaware or Spybot isn't a choice, you need them both! They each check for different types of things, so there's no point just getting one or the other.

If your browser has been hijacked though, neither is probably any good — you'll need to get a program called Hijackthis which will check your browser for hijacks. Run it, look at the log and identify which entries are the virus, then remove them. To do this, you'll probably need the help of people who know what to look for on the list. You can get help from such people in hijacking forums such as the one on Spybot's official site. There's also the possibility that the virus isn't limited to your browser, in which case you may need to download a killer for the virus. The guys on the forums will help you identify it.

12. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Thanks for the advice.I will do that.i am running now spybot and ad-aware both and things did get better.But i will do a run down on my browser.