NEED help growing cacti

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by crackforkids, Jul 13, 2004.

1. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

my friend recently got ridd off all hid drugs and shit. i got a spoon(glass) and three cacti off him. i have one 10-11" san pedro that is about a dime in diameter. and then i have three small cutting of a plant he called "the crown of thorns", i am unfamilair with this.
    my question is, how many hours of light do they need, how hot does it need to stay. and, with marijuana plants, regular lights do not work (you need florescent lights cause of the different light rays. is this the same with my cacti, i have been keeping them under a regular light in my dry ass closet.
    and how often should i, shouldnt i water them?

2. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

Keep it in cactus soil, water it when the dirt is completely dry....

???

You have a 10" san pedro that's only a dime in diameter?

Get that thing in the sunlite!
    At least buy a 50 buck high pressure sodium or aluminum halide lite for it, hell, even a 15 dollar flourescent wide spectrum gro-lite is better than what you're using. A regular lite is the same as no dark. Be careful getting it used to the sun. It needs partial shade in southern climates. Some cacti don't really need hot or arid environments, san pedros are one of them. They can take it, its just not healthy for 'em.

It needs to be exposed to proper lite same hours as daylite. Less than 12 or so and it will go dormant and quit growing.

Do a search on the 'crown of thorns' things.

Good luck!

3. opticalpromise

opticalpromise Member

the main important things...
    - use the right soil. a peatless mix is most important. peat is acidic which may cause root rot.
    - the right pot is clay with a hole for drainage 6-8 inches for cuttings is good.
    - they are hardy down to just about freezing point perhaps a few degrees under, otherwise leave them OUTSIDE (once rooted of course) somewhere where they get most sun. sun is strong and free and the cactus is not illegal and very ornamentally beautiful.
    - give them PLENTY of water during the growing season. pretty much everytime it dries up. leave them in the rain. as long as you got the right mix of soil (peatless)you wont have problems with root rot..
    - give them plant food in the growing season.

hell i live in chicago, with all the tree foliage shade, my cactus only get about 6 hours of direct sun light and they put out at least a foot of new growth per branch every year average 2-4 inches in diameter. even a pup or two per plant. and they are only 3-4 year old plants from cutting.

4. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

The bags of cactus soil at wally world are fine too. No need to mix or guess with those and it has nutrients already in it. Good that you said clay pot, I forgot that but its important.

In Chicago direct sun is ok but here in Florida, it'd burn them up if they had too many hours direct but it sure keeps them nice and fat!
    I don't know where this guy is...

Isn't 6-8 inches kinda deep? They don't have taproots. I bury my cuttings about 2-3 inches and the roots never go more than an inch or 2 below that.

5. crackforkids

yeah, i was kinda worried about that san pedro being so skinny. it looks unstable

the kid who gave them too me already had them planted and growing, and im REALLY STUPID so i dont wanna undo what he did. he has had cati passed down from his parents and knows a lot about them. i figured he would know best.

the san pedro is in sand. i have no idea how deep the sand goes before there is soil, if theyre is any (there has to be , right).... its in a clay pot. I dont know how i would check the soil for it being dry cause i cant find it! i dont know, should i transplant it?

the crown of thorns is in a plastic pot. it has sand all around its only a thin layer, there is a dark potting soil looking type soil in there.

i was told to water it about every two weeks and keep them in a dry, slightly above room temp atmosphere.

can someone please tell me if there is even mescaline in this catus? i have been searching all over the internet. it is not in erowid's vaults. other sites jus say it is hazardous.

i am broke and cannot afford any supplies, so maybe i must move them to a windowsill, but i cant really find a good one in my house where my parents wont fuck with it. (they'll try to take care of it, thinking i forgot about it, and they'd end up flooding it or some shit)

a little bit more advice would be great, thanks

6. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

mescaline in the crown of thorns? I'll go check and post here with the results in a sec.

Yes, transplant the trichocereus. If you can't wiggle your finger into the medium and check for moisture, you can't take care of it properly. Like I said earlier, I recommend a prepackaged cactus blend potting mix.

Did you ever get it some lite? It needs it badly!

Your folks may be able to help you with it if you can't afford supplies. Explain the sparse needs of a cactus to them so its not over watered. San Pedros are beautiful, hardy, fast growers with lots of magic inside! I hope yours becomes a success story.

brb...

...back.
    Sorry, the crown of thorns is not active.
    Sounds like a cool plant though! I'd keep it.

7. crackforkids

man, im gonna be pissed at this kid then. cause he wrote on this paper "crown of thorns. Pemoline and mescaline. Pemoline is poison must be extracted"
    the san pedro i must transplant? should i just get the cacti soil mix and then like break the ceramic pot and let all the sand fall out, n jus put the cactus in the other soil. how deep?

and THANKS everyone! id have really fucked this up without you all.

8. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

9. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Rofl, crown of thorns. Thats hilarious. Most people use crown of thorns to keep intruders out. You plant it under your windowsill, and when it gets real big, people won't be able to break in. It is'nt gonna get you high man, just plant it out in your yard or by your window or something. Be careful too, those fuckers hurt.

10. pinocchio

pinocchio Banned

These are good links!

Thanks!!
    :D