Need Help Everyone Is There Any Hippies?

Discussion in 'North and South Carolina' started by chris36lewis, Sep 18, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It is expensive here and the housing market is tough because you are not the first person to have this idea. We have legal weed and a few companies investing here so overall people want to be here. It's also a very conservative state. Yes we have "hippie" areas but most of the state is rural farm land. The kind of place where Trump and NRA stickers are found on American trucks. Denver and Boulder lean more left though.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I moved from the south Denver metro to Oakland and back.

Rents skyrocketed. Traffic is on par with Oakland on some areas.
    I 70 on the west is depressing.

As for the hippie vibe, aside from my long time friends, I'm not feeling it.
    There's stoners for sure, but the cooperative in this together spirit is greatly diluted.

When I left, I was paying around $700 for a decent one bedroom in an ok neighborhood.
    That apartment rents for $1200 today and still has no dishwasher of soundproofing.

Pot growers have fouled up the rental market, landlords are resistant to hostile even for six personal plants.

To compare, a studio in Oakland in a neighborhood with sporadic gunfire was topping $1800.

I'm working in a very similar job. In a corporate clinic structure.
    I was making $17/hr in Alameda (next to Oakland).
    In the south metro, I'm making $19.50.
    I pay my annual license and malpractice insurance myself. I'm required to keep getting continuing education, all on my dime.

Many fast food type jobs are single-digit pay.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia Members

I was recently putting together a possible trip to CO, for seven days, as cheap yet decent as possible.
    The only way I found cheap decent overnight stays is with multiple people sharing a living quarters for $49 a night.
    I'm not keen on sleeping around strangers, but would be fun to hang with cool stoners. I could carry my sidearm (our states reciprocate on concealed carry).
    I just wish I knew I could be around strangers I could trust. Like, real hippies. People have changed over the years, a lot.
    Was trying to put a 7-day stay for around a Grand, not counting weed. I didn't check on a KOA campground but it's probably higher.
    Any ideas?????

4. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

What Mel said about NC having the oldest mountains and a lot of little rural communities is absolutely true. Also about the (few lol) cities that are bigger and forward thinking.

HOWEVER, if you have the funds to choose between NC and Colorado then you'd be crazy not to choose Colorado. According to where you live in NC and what you (or whomever) does for a living, NC isn't necessarily going to be cheap.

If you don't have to work and are living on funds you already have, then yes you'd probably be able to live cheaper in NC - and you are also more likely to be confronted on a daily basis with racism, prejudice that is ACCEPTED and pride in being an ignorant redneck.

Sure you may find a "hippie" or 2 or 3 but it may take a good long minute.

If you are searching for peacefulness, kindness and acceptance of those that are different than you, I wouldn't count on finding it in the Carolinas. Here in the south, I fear it has gotten to the point you just have to live your truth (and not talk over much about it ;) )

Mel lives here (in SC) too...and I consider this state all the better for having her in it...she's one of the best "hippies" I've known, and I met her here...

edit: I'm not real sure anymore what a hippie is...that is why I was putting quotes around it. I don't think I ever understood what a hippie was supposed to be, but I WANTED TO BE ONE!!!!! :D

1 person likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I used to live there, so I suspected that your perception of the prices might be a little on the high side. I did a search on priceline.com for you and came up with these results. https://www.priceline.com/stay/search/hotels/Denver,+CO/20170925/20171002/1/?searchType=CITY&page=1&areas=910004251

Basically, I was dead wrong. Staying at any hotel in the downtown area can be very expensive. Prices are stated on a per-night basis.

6. Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia Members

What took the most time was looking for hotels that are 420 friendly...If I were to stick with a decent hotel it would still triple my expenses, most likely.

7. chainsaw charley

chainsaw charley Member

Go to Asheville, hippies all over. they pride themselves as hippie-ville. Way too many for me. most were PLASTIC, FAKE 5th gen hippes, all tatted up, i thought they were self-indulgent, snobby as hell. ( but that's just me) perfect example of modern-day SNOWFLAKES, not like the 1st, 2nd gen hippes I knew 40 yrs ago.

magickman likes this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Aw I'm just now seeeing this post, thanks :) SC is definitely better for having you in it too

I dont really know what a hippie is either lol, I usually use it as a broad term to describe anyone who is open and laid back

Lynnbrown likes this.
  9. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Yeah it's a tough lesson to learn the difference between a hippie and a hipster. No further comment on this from me, I think you understand. Everyone has their thing, but you gotta learn the differences.