Need advice on moving to florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by keico, Sep 27, 2006.

1. xdaisy71x

xdaisy71x Member

pick a smaller town within about 100 miles of a big city then you get the cheaper stuff and still the good hospitals and the schools aren't to bad around here since Jeb is the governor and all with the no child left behind law.

2. light_my_fire

light_my_fire Member

you should try Niceville, Florida. I live here, and personally hate it, but Im a teenager looking to party. But our school system is excellent. Nicevile H.S. is one of the top five in the state. It's a small town and it's exactly like it sounds; NICE! 15 minutes away from the beautiful beaches of Destin, 1 hr. from Panama City and 1 1/2 hr from Pensacola. There are excellent hospitals and my best friends younger brother has autism and he attends Rock Bayou Christian School. It's a great school. I went there when I was younger and when my parents switched me to public school, they moved me up a grade because of the education I got there. It's a middle class town with rich and poor neighborhoods. I probably live in one of the more average neighborhoods, and there are plenty of reasonable houses around. Our town is built around Boggy Bayou so there are plenty of non-tourist-filled swimming spots (because in Florida, you learn to despise tourists) but you're still minutes from the Sugar-White-Sandy beaches of Destin. You can look the town up online if you'd like. I'm sure you'd love it. It sounds perfect for your family :]

3. Cavale

Cavale Member

I've lived in the Orlando area for two or three years and I've lived a couple places around Florida as a child.

Here's all the info I can offer:
    DON'T move to Kissimmee. It's a dirty, grimy, crime-ridden place.
    If you like nature, DON'T move to Orlando. It's basically one big giant concrete slab.
    If you don't have a car, DON'T move to Orlando. They're bus system is notorious for being one of the worst in the country.
    If you want to live near Orlando, I would probly recommend Maitland. They have nice parks, and are currently undergoing a bit of a renovation of sorts and I think it's going to come out nice. Also they have lots of community goings on, like art festivals and the like. Though, if you don't have a car, they do use Orlando's bus system as well. =/
    There's also Sanford which is a little farther from Orlando. It's kind of ugly and shitty, but there's definitely renovations going on and the downtown area is really nice, and full of cute shops and lots of community activities. They, however, also use the Lynx bus system.

Have you considered St. Augustine at all? I've never been there myself but I've heard really great things.

Also, Clearwater is where I was born and I only have the most idyllic memories of it. I visited it again recently and it seems like a cute little beach-bummy town. Honestly, if I could do it over again,I wouldn't live in Orlando at all. I'd much rather be on the coast.

Anyway, hope I was somewhat helpful.

4. zakarrah

zakarrah Member

St Augustine is beautiful, but it is expensive to live there.Jacksonvile ,where I live, is not a bad place to migrate to. I moved my kids and mom down here in 1993. We decided on Jax based on several factors, primary being the cost of housing, which is still a bargain compared to the North East. Housing is cheaper on the Westside and Northside. I'd go for the Westside..Most of the Northside is a rough area. Hospitals/special services are very good here. We have Shands/University of FL., St Lukes, St Vincents..All large network hopsitals. Schools are ok. My sons were all in some type of Special Ed in NJ (ADD,ADHD, dyslexic) and when I moved here and gave them the IEP paperwork/dr reports they did their best to accomodate. Special Ed in Middle School leaves a lot to be desired..too many kids and not enough teachers/aides. The elementary school teacher for my youngest was fantastic.Another reason that was a big part in choosing Jax was it's a Navy town. My sons are biracial and I thought that being a Navy town people would be a little more accepting..people stationed overseas/marrying/bringing their families here.And for the most part they are. Of course there are your "Good ol' Boys" who won't let go of the "Rebel Cause" but it's getting better. NorthEast Florida has a change of seasons..this past week it went down to the 40's at night..Kinda weird for this time of the year. We've been very lucky during hurricane season since I've lived here (June-Nov). I think it's because of the way Jax is situated..Set inland a little. If anyone wants more info pm me..I'll be glad to help : )

5. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

Sup,

Sorry for posting so i late, i understand this is over a month old thread but i just registered.... Anyway I dont know much about norther florida but i wouldnt expect it to be GREAT like NYC... I currently live in miami and i would tell you DO NOT move here unless you are a millionaire and speak spanish.. The only nice place to really live is south beach and thats really expensive anywhere else is rather dirty and there is close to no english speakers.... Myself being of European Decent i dont speak any spanish sometimes its hard to do things like order a sub at subway but i get by i guess cause im used to it. I myself live by the FIU Engineering South Campus, And speaking of schools.. The public schools here are some of the worst in the nation, even the private schools arent all that great... with the exception of Coral Reef(Public) which Is a really really good school.... but the others arent all that great. Its alright there is some crime here and there just like i said no one speaks english.. In fact my sister just moved to New Jersey.. And i plan on moving out soon myself.

TL; DR - Dont know much about northern florida but i wouldnt suggest moving to miami unless you are rich and can afford to live in miami beach... and speaking spanish is a plus.

6. i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420 Member

The thread is actually almost 2 years old, my current reply at this point in time is don't move to florida if you are looking for a job, cuz..............

There are NO JOBS!!!

7. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

i hope im not too late.

Do yourself a favor, dont go to florida. My parents came down from New York. (Dad from staten island and mom from upstate monticello) and they are dieing to leave, but its very hard for them to because of the market. School systems are terrible, take it from me i have been in them for the past 17 years. Taxes are extremely high and insurance is killer. Save yourself and your kids. But if you insist, i would check out the mid west coast. ocala maybe, naples, clear water... there are some nice rural type areas. the weather is much nicer there as well. Here in fort lauderdale, its death. Its like being in a sauna 300 days of the year, and possibly in the 60's for the other 65 days. And im not kidding, it just humidity and heat and there is no escape. Talk about miserable. If i were you id move to virginia, or just get out of nyc, maybe somewhere upstate. pine bush is nice.

just not south florida.

8. Oreocookiemadness

Oreocookiemadness Member

I think you're grossly exaggerating the hurricane risk. I lived in St. Petersburg for 20 years, and St. Augustine for 3 years, and plan on moving back. Not once did we ever have to evacuate our home(s). The house in St. Pete was very close to Boca Ciega Bay, and we never once flooded. We lived 1 block away from the beach in St. Augustine and likewise didn't have to evacuate. I wouldn't suggest living in the Panhandle if you're worried about hurricanes. However, I do know that when the hurricanes started coming through the area after 2003 (when we left the state), there was major flooding south of the Valrico area and beyond. Overall, you're pretty safe. Don't let the fear of hurricanes sway your decision.

9. cyuse

cyuse Guest

Someone mentioned Niceville which is a nice place.For more affordable housing and a warmer climate especially in winter SW Florida is nice and housing affordable.Winter population is about double summer as this is a main snowbird section.

10. jambo101

jambo101 Member

As the topic was initiated in 2006 i Wonder if our op ever did move to Florida and if he was successful or not..