Natural Family Planning

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Lotus Butterfly, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I've been on the ortho tri-cyclen birth control pill for a while now and want to go off. My husband and I don't really like to use condoms either. I've been reading about the natural family planning method and wonder if anyone else is doing this and what are your opinions. I really want to do something that is safer and more natural for my body. Please share your experiences/wisdom. :)

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/postpartumsex/3603.html seems to have some good info, as does http://www.epigee.org/guide/natural.html

I know it isn't listed as a "natural" method, but you could also consider using a diaphragm. I don't remember if you're supposed to use spermicide in conjunction with it, but it basically just makes a physical barrier rather than a chemical one. I'm pretty sure you need to talk to your doc about it (are they custom fit? I really don't remember much of this stuff from sex ed, way back in grade 9)

remember, google is your friend too!

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.tcoyf.com/ this is what you're looking for. i dont actually use tcoyf to prevent pregnancy, but since reading the book, i've been far more in tune with my own body and if i was absolutely religious about charting i would trust it for birth control. that is, if i actually had a sex life, a monogamous partner and all of that! ha!

4. lynsey

lynsey Banned

if you want to go off the pill because it makes you feel yuck try yasmin-it's really really good. I didn't gain ant weight because of it, my breast size increased but filled out a little not that pregnancy look that ortho gives them adn I haven't had too much moodiness on them. I am off of them now because i no longer need them for awhile but as someone who reacts horribly to birth control I can say that they really aren't nearly as bad as the rest.

5. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

When you get off teh pill be careful. When I got off those ( I think that brand even) I got pregnant right away! You are most firtile right off the pill.

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I waited untill after my period came and I am not going to be sexually active again for a few months.

7. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Yeah I wasnt so smart. I didn't know too much about the pill when I was taking it. I was like 17

8. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

Yeah, I "googled" to find out alot of info but I wanted to hear about some actual experiences from the woman on this forum with using the natural method (charting to see when you are fertile, etc.). I think you do have to use spermicide in conjunction with a diaphragm.

Thanks for all the responses. :)

9. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Damn Lynsey, the same thing happened to me when I first got on Yasmin. I didn't gain and ounce of weight, but I went up an entire cup-size. Weirdest thing...

Overall, I totally recommend Yasmin, as well. I have had virtually no side effects (except for the increased bra size).

10. lynsey

lynsey Banned

It's a wonderful pill I am thinking of going back on it even thought I don't need it right now just because i am so loving the way my skin was clearer and the shape it gave me in some places.

11. vanilla_faerie

vanilla_faerie Member

I am enjoying my last week of the pill, which I have been on for three years without a break. It's given me a lot of problems, BV and yeast infections. My GYN has tried everything and finally suggested I just go off the pill and see if it helps. I'm planning to use to natural family planning method. I've read a couple books and am looking into a class that is usally offered at local hospitals. We're going to be using condoms for a few months (or not having intercourse, cause condoms hurt me if used often) until I get the hang of the method, but once I get the charting down I don't think I'll have a problem trusting it. It's totally better for you, and I think I'll really enjoy the charting and such. Let me know if you wanna talk about it or something. Good Luck!

12. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

Thank you for your reply Vanilla Faerie. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else on these forums was going through a similar experience. I don't want to switch to a different pill, I just want to go off of the pill. I know it's going to be awhile before I get accustomed to the natural method as well but I'll have to explore alternative uses of contraceptives until then. Anyone heard of wild yam as a means of contraception?