natural deoderant that works???

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by LoneNomad, Aug 27, 2006.

1. LoneNomad

LoneNomad Member

Has anyone found a good natural deoderant that actually works really well? I spend alot of time hiking and excercising and the natural deoderants that i use now just aren't really cutting it.. Funny thing is I love the way I smell naturally but my friends dont seem to love it so much so im really needing to find something that works for when im wanting to go out or plan on doing alot of excercising. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Much Love and Light.
    ~j

2. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Try that mineral crystal deodorant. It seems to work well for me.

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

The most effective way I've found to eliminate Body Odor on an extended trip into the wilderness is to use Zinc Oxide as a deoderant before you leave on the trip. The Zinc Oxide is an antibacterial so it eliminates the bacteria that cause the Body Odor smell to occur. The nice part is that it is effect for about 5 to 7 days so you can leave that deoderant stick in you pack at home. Zinc Oxide is also the stuff used by lifeguards to prevent sunburns on their noses so you can also use it as a "sunscreen".

Zinc Oxide can be found at most any drug store around the bandaides and antibiotics for around $4 per tube.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

forget the mineral crystals, they're full of aluminum. bad news

dancerannie's right, zinc oxide is great, works wonders, very inexpensive, but it can be messy.

another option is straight baking soda powdered on your smelly bits

addidas makes a deoderant that's aluminum free based some derivitive from the cotton plant, but it's full of other weird chemicals

i've never had any luck with healthfood store deoderants.

5. EarthyGirl1985

EarthyGirl1985 Member

I'd go all natural. But then again, it would depend on how "offensive" they thought it was. I think i used to use cornstarch but that was just to prevent sweating. Maybe a mix of cornstarch and baking soda?

6. LoneNomad

LoneNomad Member

thanks for the replies you guys.. :) I will have to try out the zinc and the bakingsoda and see how it goes..
    I do go all natural when its just me lounging around and its not like i smell bad or anything i think people just arent used to how a natural body smells anymore from living in a time where almost everyone covers things up with perfumes, deoderants, air fresheners etc.. and really i dont mind wearing a deoderant that isn't bad for me..
    but, yeah thank you all so much for replying.. def gave me some ideas and things to try
    Much Love and Light,
    Julia

7. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've used Burt's Bees deodorant...has lots of sage oil in it that counteracts the perspiration odor...doesn't work for everyone, but does well for me, and I'm a sweaty person. Kiss my Face liquid patchouli deodorant works for me too, but it is a liquid crystal, likely to have some form of aluminum in it. There is lots of conflicting information about aluminum; some folks say that the more natural forms (potassium alum, etc) are not harmful, some say they are. Aluminum chlorohydrate (sp?) is the kind generally found in antiperspirants, and many folks say this a big no-no...clogs pores in the armpits, exposes the lymph glands under the arms to possible carcinogens, etc. If you are interested, you may want to do some research on this yourself. I am quite sure that I don't want aluminum chlorohydrate anywhere on my body, but I'm not so sure about potassim alum, and other more natural forms of aluminum....

8. JLPMGHRS

JLPMGHRS Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

seriously. i had to go back to the stuff with the chemicals cause nobody i know was going for the natural deodorant and i shower everyday. in this age, you really don't have much of a choice. if you live in a more rural area i think you can get away it, but i live in a much more densely populated area.
    you can't have a hint of natural smell or people get offended. i think it's stupid, but you can't really function in society unless you play by those rules. i haven't found any natural ones that work well enough.

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

if you have to use the stuff with chemicals, at least go for the aluminum-free options (addidas has a cotton based deoderant that works really well and has no aluminum), okay!?

ps, some forms of aluminum may be more 'natural' but that doesnt mean they're safe. take care...

10. JLPMGHRS

JLPMGHRS Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

good to know! [​IMG]

11. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

An excess of aluminum in your body is thought to cause Alzheimer's later in life.

12. boek

boek Member

I use that too, it works wonders.

13. lola78

lola78 Member

i think natural deodorants are hit and miss. I sweat a LOT naturally and I have yet to find something to help with that. Though I did use liquid crystal deodorant by kiss my face and it worked well. I love tom's of Maine natural deodorants, but I usually reapply midday because I sweat like a pig. I have also used Nature's gate manadarin pathcouli and it also works well at keeping the stink away. I have also noticed that the nature's gate stick lasts a long time. Longer than the Tom's seems to. I have had the same stick for about 3 months with daily use and it still has about a quarter left.

14. lola78

lola78 Member

I work with people living with Alzheimer's and really think aluminum plays a big role. Along with diet. I also think it is important to keep in mind that 90% of all breast cancers occur in the "tail of spence" which is a triangle section of tissue that extends deep into the armpit. I know no link has been made to aluminum and breast cancer but i have read studies with mixed results. One found an increased risk in women who appliy aluminum based deodorants almist immediately after shaving their pits. It is thought that the nicks and microscopic abrasions shaving causes, increases aluminum absorption. Bottom line, you really don't want to inhibit your bodies ability to sweat, but there can be circumstances where people go with an aluminum deodorant . If you do, I would avoid applying it directly after shaving.

15. LoneNomad

LoneNomad Member

All great info. Thanks again for all the replies.. Now its off to the health food store to give these things a try.. ill let you know what i find.
    ~Jules

16. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i've been going bra-free as much as possible since i read that. underwires, especially are terrible at cutting off lymph drainage from that area. :(

17. familydog

familydog Member

I make my own deodorant. a little bit of oil (coconut oil is good for the skin and cooling, so I use that, but you can really use any kind - sweet almond, olive and grapeseed are also good for the skin) mixed with the anti-bacterial essential oils of lavender, rosemary, tea tree, patchouli and peppermint. sometimes, if I'm doing a lot of excercise I might reapply it once, but mostly it works better than any other natural deodorant I've ever tried (and I've tried them all), except for the mineral crystal, which is sketchy because of the aluminum.

18. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

aubrey organics' E Plus High C works great. doesn't stop wetness, which wouldn't be healthy anyway, but does stop your pits from stinking. it comes in a roll-on container and lasts a looong time, so don't let the price put you off.

19. hippiejessica

hippiejessica Member

Sus, does Burt's Bee's deodorant use any animal products in it? I was so sad after my mom bought me some lip balm from them once and it had lanolin in it!

20. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

me too