Napoleon Dynamite!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by FreakyJoeMan, Jan 22, 2005.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

it was funny, but i must admin it sorta depressed me thinking that some people are forced into living such banal lives

2. Internity

Internity Member

that movie is so stupid u have to laugh at it.

3. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

Thank you for this. I agree exactly. I never felt for a minute that he was being made fun of. I was trying to think of something to write but I think you summed it up perfectly.

4. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I don't eat meat either but I was glad they showed chickens in a chicken factory and the part with the kids screaming as they saw the cow being shot. I thought if only more kids actually did see that then they might not be so excited to run off to McDonalds for their hamburger Happy Meal. Besides I'm sure that no actual animals were harmed for the making of this movie, not like they are in actual life. Maybe we need to see more of what we so gladly turn a blind eye to.

5. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

I Freaking Love Napolean Dynamite!

6. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

Everyone was always quoting that movie, and i never got it...then i watched it like three times. i love that shit!!
    It's only like my favorite animal ever...

7. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

8. stupidgirl

stupidgirl Member

I would have to agree. This was the funniest movie I seen all year.:D

9. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i grew up in a similar environment, that, while not quite so rural, still made it easy for me to strongly identify with napoleon and his friends, on a very deep level. i was the "nerd girl" at my high school, yet in spite of the isolation and adolescent awkwardness, my friends and i never felt an urge to try to be like the popular kids. quite the opposite. and yet there was still that isolation, that sense of longing that there must be something better than this. napoleon watches kip and lafawnduh ride off after their wedding, a geeky internet romance blossoming into true love and inexplicably opening the door to a wonderful new future where anything is possible. kip has "escaped" from that rural nowhereseville. "lucky!" napoleon enviously cries.

and really, i agree. if only we could all be that lucky. hey, i married my internet penpal too. i wish our future had stayed so rosy; one can only hope it would be better for kip and lafawnduh.

looking back to those days, someone like napolean would have been my dream guy. and i'll admit to having a thing for "dorks" to this very day. someone who's not afraid to be themselves, even if it means being a nerd, in my view is very..."sweet!"

10. turnthepage

turnthepage Member

anybody see jon heder on The Tonight Show? Rare for a person to be on both Leno AND letterman (which he was on months ago)-usually being on one means you're banned from the other. Shows that Nappy D is too popular to ignore. Now lets hope Fox doesnt make a series out of it.

11. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

I used to laugh at it, but now I only giggle whenever lyle says someting

12. xdianax

xdianax Member

:) Ligers and Tions..

"Tina you fat lard, eat your food!"

"Your mom goes to college"

"Try and hit me, Napoleon.
    What?
    I said come down here and see what happens if you try and hit me."
    Haha best scene....

:) In love,

Diana

13. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

yeah I did not care for it at all. I watched it, with high hopes as you did, and just didn't care for it. It was a waste of time and do not understand how people can think this is the greatest movie, I am weird I guess for not getting it, I don't know.

14. sharon

sharon Member

I watched this movie last night, with some high hopes - I hadn't read this thread already.
    I found it completely crap - quirky for the sake of it and lacking in any sort of substance. The characters were not likeable and most seemed intellectually challenged and really limited in their horizons - you couldn't even empathize with them.
    I was grossed out by the scene where he is drinking milk and the close up of his mouth although I did think that one shot of the two old guys with the battery hen farm in front of their shed was quite beautiful in a 1920s/30s America sort of a way.
    Did anybody find any point to this movie?

15. turnthepage

turnthepage Member

Is there a point to any movie, or painting or book? Why do you need a point? In the end, it's all just entertainment, designed to keep us occupied until we die, like sex and conversation...dust in the wind. I thought it was funny, and if it had or needs a point, it was that dweebs have lives too.

16. sharon

sharon Member

I think you may have misinterpreted my question. I realise that there need not be a point but there usually is some motivation behind any artist/creative person expending the energy to put something out there and with this movie, I just don't get what that is.

17. Pyewacket

Pyewacket Pagan Hippie Chick

Yes. The point is, things generally turn out all right in the end. Human beings are fascinating creatures. Sometimes those who may appear to offer the least end up offering the most. Napoleon is my hero. He stands up to his enemies and speaks his mind. He believes in magic. He's a snappy dresser. And he knows the best solution to any problem is to dance, dance, dance!

"Just listen to your heart. That's what I do." [​IMG]

18. nohelmetlaws

nohelmetlaws Banned

I agree, I thought it was a total waste of time. Without a doubt the worst movie I've seen in years

19. wonderboy841

wonderboy841 Member

Of course there isn't any point to the movie its just a movie to watch. Everyone today is forced into watching commercial movies. What i mean by that is that all movies today are the same. So the director when in a different route then a lot of directors today. I think it was funny as hell not stupid humor buy dry humor with alot of ordinary life behind it.

20. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member