Naked and Afraid

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Granite69, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Member Lifetime Supporter

Any other fans of the show out there? Seriously, this is the greatest reality show in the history of reality shows. Have seen every episode, applied to be on it twice and have even gotten my textile wife interested in it to the point where she is very familiar with many of the more famous participants. Even pulled a quick one on me this weekend when she told me “Gary would eat it.” LOL.

Anyway, I’m super stoked for the season of XL Legends starting next Sunday. 60 days is so next level. Would love to hear from other nudists about their take in this show. IMO, there is nothing that has come along in my lifetime that has helped “normalize nudity” more than this series. 12/10.

DrRainbow and Scarecrow13 like this.
  2. NudistTed

NudistTed The Naked Man

I too have enjoyed watching the series. I find it disappointing that the show is censored. With so many shows on TV/cable now showing frontal nudity, why is N&A still censoring?

3. Granite69

I agree and perhaps it will change eventually. Back when the series started in 2013, the idea of showing butts on regular cable was pushing the limits of acceptability. I was watching in secret at home at first but eventually started telling folks about the show. Now pretty much everyone in my house watches it at least occasionally. While I know I would prefer that they stop blurring breasts and genitals, other family members might be less likely to watch. Or maybe not. Hard to say. Ultimately, I guess it doesn’t really affect the content of the show. I mean you know they’re naked and can see they’re naked so it’s all good.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Nudegardner and Scarecrow13 like this.
  4. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I have seen it from time to time. I agree I with they wouldn't censor it but at least showing butts uncensored is progress.

Granite69 likes this.
  5. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Do you really think this entertainment format is a real documentation? I think it’s all staged and faked, or to say it in the media’s language, it’s just a scripted reality show.
    I’ve watched one episode of a 40-day-xxl set, filmed in Africa. It’s really so obvious that it is staged that it is somehow funny again. The guys pretend to walk around through the African savanna since 21 days and nights, but no one has a real dark tan nor a sunburn (ok one pretends to have a sunburn, but you can’t really see it). Though they pretend to live in the outback for three weeks, alt least the women still have their hair done and a nice makeup. In one nightly scene you see the foot sole of one girl: nice and smooth, no scratches, no cracks, no dirt. Also, no one has any scratches on the body. One girl pretends to have her hand got burned, but all you see is an overdone bandage covering the whole hand like an oversize glove. There are two groups of contestants in the episode who meet “by chance” on their walks through the savanna – how ridiculous if you know the expanse of the savanna! All film snippets showing the wild animals are probably from an archive and cut among the scenes, you never see a participant and the animals in one shot. There is a pond where they pretend to catch catfish for food, and after a nightly heavy rain it is pretended to be grown to a big stream, but you never see the stream and the participants in one scene. During the rainy night the participants gather in a little self-built hut and lament that it’s too cold, but no one ever has the idea that it would feel warmer snuggling together instead of sitting there isolated. Etc., etc …

Probably the episodes were filmed outside around a lodge or hotel where crew and actors did stay during the shoot time. I also think that those “40 days” were filmed in a much shorter time, maybe one week, concerning the lack of participants’ tanning and hair grow.

I don’t say it’s bad entertainment, but everyone should know for sure it’s not real.

And I think it’s extremely cringey to let the actors go nude and make this the main feature of the series, but then blur all boobs and genitals. I guess it’s somehow bigot.

Branleur and NudistTed like this.
  6. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ok, my take. Since my wife and I live remotely in a Panamanian rainforest off grid and are naked most day, I can tell you it is a challenge of a lifetime. We do have shelter. The only connection to the outside world is a WiFi disc. Bugs bites are a real problem for any newby. The Fer de Lance is a very deadly snake, we have killed at least a dozen. The night time is not your friend. Humid as hell. We’ve been here 4 years. I guarantee they could film a episode on our 45 acres. It is pure raw and rugged, but we love it here. No roads. Just jungle trails and a boat for transportation. You better be tough to do what we do and always, always work as a team.
    We have a saying here. “It’s not who is coming in your casa, but what’s coming in your casa.”

7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I thought about moving to Panama... but found either situations like yours or the opposite - walled compounds with security guards and million dollar mansions for the ex-pats.
    I found a happy medium in Mexico, where I have been for two and a half years now.
    Me gusto!

NudistTed and Granite69 like this.
  8. Granite69

I know the exact XL season of which pixy is speaking since I have seen every episode ever made. And if that particular XL was my only experience watching Naked and Afraid, I might have the same kind of cynicism. To be sure, it was one of the more curious seasons.

Having said that, I just got done watching the double episode season finale of this year’s Naked and Afraid. In the first episode, both participants were simultaneously medically tapped out on day 12 for completely different reasons. The dude (a nice gay guy FWIW) had some ticks literally crawl up his butt as a result of sleeping in the sand at night. They were PAINFULLY extracted but he ultimately developed MRSA and had signs of serious infection with a resting heart rate of 104 at the point he was pulled from the challenge. The chick was stung by a scorpion on her middle finger in the middle of the night (captured on camera) and had a severe allergic reaction. The medics were called in for her situation and also re-evaluated the dude during the same time frame. Hence, the double medical tap ... the first in series history.

I think Naked and Afraid is well aware of the challenges that have been made to its authenticity and has tailored footage in the last couple of years to show more of what happens in the overnight hours. No one is staying in nearby hotels ... not trying to be argumentative but that’s just not something that’s happening even if perhaps, just maybe, producers have snuck a dozen chicken wings to some of the survivalists over the years. But there have been wicked sunburns, bug bite ridden bodies that reach the absolutely disgusting level and a double disqualification for a couple who raided the producers tent for food in the overnight hours when they stumbled upon it.

At this point, I’m 52 and recently took a job that allows zero possibility for three consecutive weeks off ... so that ship has sailed. No chance of ever being on the show although I did get a call from Metal Flowers Media after my second application. But anyway, had I been so fortunate as to have been selected for the show, I know I would have been super pissed if the experience turned out to be anything less than 100 percent authentic.

My two cents.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    NudistTed and ~Zen~ like this.
  9. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Naked and Afraid - Wikipedia

This is the stuff of genius! Why was I not informed?

~Zen~ and Granite69 like this.
  10. nldn

nldn Senior Member

I've not watched the US version but there is a Dutch one without the pixellation, not a survival show but nearer to a dating one.

11. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I think I have heard of that. Isn't it called something like "Adam meets Eve"?

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I've not seen much off it (in the UK version.)
    It seems somewhat appealing - though not enough to hold my attention

13. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I often wonder if producers are eating a 3 course meal in front of them watching them look for food.

~Zen~ likes this.
  14. ~Zen~

I watched one of the first seasons and laughed hilariously at the very same thought... it is all so contrived... like nature films cobbled together from miles of footage to make one 2 minute sequence of an animal killing it's prey.

Totally Yoda likes this.
  15. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

There needs to be a channel to watch humans in the wild. Imagine how funny that would be lol

~Zen~ likes this.
  16. ~Zen~

I think it is called YouTube.

Have you read the novel "Earth" by David Brin? He wrote The Postman, and some others. Anyway, in 'Earth' oldsters lounge about on park benches and sidewalks, etc. wearing oversized dark sunglasses with on air live video and audio feed uploading to the net 24/7/365. They are the watchers... it explores other themes also, like black holes. Most entertaining, I read it three times. I think it was written back in the late 1980s before most of the Internet existed.

Totally Yoda and Granite69 like this.
  17. I'm naked but I'm not afraid.

Granite69 and ~Zen~ like this.
  18. Granite69

19. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

No. Never read it before. Sounds interesting.

NudistTed and ~Zen~ like this.
  20. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Adam Zkt. Eva - Wikipedia

Quite good business idea. They sold the concept to several other countries.

~Zen~ likes this.