My Views On 'First Contact'...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I think I may have made my views on this more clear in the past.

Anyways then, if you don't know, I believe that humans are now just basically waiting for first contact. Perhaps an advanced alien entity is just waiting for us to cross certain ethical and technological thresholds. And this topic is often best explored in the fictional sci-fi series Star Trek. It's fictional. But the writers I think were very perceptive, to how the future will be like. I am reminded of sci-fi authors like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. But you know it really doesn't take a genius to predict the future and to speculate on alien races that may exist now. We can make educated guesses. Can't we?

Anyways, as in Star Trek, some believe that this advanced entity will share its technology with us, but when they think we're ready for it. Perhaps now, they are simply observing.

I am reminded of that ST: TNG episode First Contact (original air date, February 18, 1991). In it Malcor III is preparing to develop warp drive technology, and the Federation is beginning to observe them, in anticipation of this. But unlike other races, the Malcorians are more suspicious of the idea of being observed, and this creates unanticipated problems.

This story is interesting, because in the end, they decide to delay first contact instead. But what I like about the episode, is Science Minister Mirasta Yale decides to stay behind on the episode, she essentially does experience first contact you could say. You know that idea does sound tantalizing, doesn't it? What if only one human could see how an advanced alien race lives, and stay on their home world? Because think of it. Then he or she to continue on as a kind of ambassador or liaison between and two races. I'd sign up for something like that. Wouldn't you?

Also, I wanted to tell you, last year I finally was able to get one of the 10-north glasses from ST: TNG on Ebay. I searched high and low, but I finally got it (they were really just fancy candle holders, in case you didn't know). And I immediately made an Absinthe Martini, my second favorite drink (a Manhattan is my first) and took a picture. I might try to even post it here. But you know, if I ever was in the above situation, the first thing I would have to have is a synthehol Manhattan. Wouldn't that be nice? But the holodeck or simulated reality would be the first thing I would have to try (of course once you got a matter replicator first, you'd be all set—think about it). I may try to attach the picture as I said, along with a couple of links describing the episode.

And I've got to ask, if you were taken to the advanced alien home world like Science Minister Mirasta Yale, what's the first thing you'd have to try? It just fires the imagination, doesn't it?

Here are the links (please read, I think you'll find the topic at least amusing :) ):

First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia

First Contact (episode)

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

"First contact" may never occur because of the nature of technological civilizations. Before a civilization's tech becomes advanced enough to make interplanetary contact, it may be that they self-immolate; imploding due to the consequences of industrialization; pollution, environmental degradation, overpopulation, resource depletion, climate change and warfare.
    Somebody first got the idea of burning charcoal to smelt copper & tin only about 5500 years ago; the planet is 4.5 billion years old. In terms of galactic time, technologically advanced civilizations may just "flash in the pan"; arising and disappearing in what to the universe is the equivalent of a nanosecond, long before they can develop the technological capacity to contact anyone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  3. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't know, I do have a theory, and it's just a theory. Ask anyone who knows me. But maybe they leave "Easter eggs" (—correct term?) for anyone to see.

One of the most obvious, is the curse of Tippecanoe: Curse of Tippecanoe - Wikipedia I am not the first person to think of this. I think it's becoming more mainstream now.

Classic one they've been talking about all my life, even before the age of the internet ironically. The Miracle at Fatima. The "Blessed Virgin Mary" appeared to three peasant children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917. Finally the miracle of the Sun was witnessed by hundreds of people there. Anyway, BVM? Utter nonsense. So what else could explain it.

Now some eminent scientists have been literally bending over backwards to explain it. But like Ned Flanders says, they're just straining to do some explaining. Okay, maybe there are some optical illusions that could account for that. But they were standing in several feet of rain that mysteriously vanished. Explain that.

This next one I am rather proud I discovered myself in 1988:

Mount Rushmore:

Abraham Lincoln has 14 letters in it...

Thomas Jefferson has 15.

George Washington has 16.

Theodore Roosevelt has 17.

This seems to almost "build" on the number thirteen.—the number of our original colonies. (Also interesting, "Mount Rushmore" and "Gutzon Borglum" [the sculptor of Mt. Rushmore] have 13 letters each.)

Oh, and I think that so-called ghosts are them. Ghosts will never show up in a laboratory, or remain under a microscope. But some stories of them are striking.

But as I said, it's just a theory. BTW I don't think I've shared this theory here, at least not for a while.

4. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

These visitors that we are experiencing in our skies, are only observing us and getting us used to their ships .
    They know that we are a divided people, living in separate Nation / States, that wage War on one another and are suspicious of each other. They know that we have Governments ran by Psychopathic Oligarchs that divide People within their borders and they will not open any Diplomatic outreach or trade their technology with us .... and I don't blame them .

We are not ready for First Contact .