My Two Arguments Against Eternal Punishment.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have to tell you all, I think I've always been skeptical about religious matters. But in any event, these are two arguments that I came up against eternal punishment. I conceived of them shortly after HS, ironically when I was somewhat more religious.

ARGUMENT #1— Consider a man. For the sake of argument, we'll just call him Joe. Joe isn't too good, or too bad. Actually he's not much of each. But just before he dies, Joe gets just a hair over the bad range of things. Maybe he stubs his toe, and lets a "damn" slip. So Joe is condemned to an eternity of hell, just for being a hair over on the morality scale.

Does that sound fair?

ARGUMENT #2—Consider another man. We'll call him Tim. Tim is a really evil dictator. And he rules for ten years. And he makes a million people's lives pure hell in his unfortunate country. Sounds like a nobrainer. Of course he should go to hell, most people would say. But wait a minute. He made a million people miserable for ten years. Ten times a million is ten million. Okay, so he deserves ten million years in hell. That's long, but hell is eternal. Infinity still far surpasses even ten million. So how could indeed even the most evil, evil person on earth deserve that?

See my points?

Comments? Arguments for or against what I just said?

IAE thank you for your replies :) .

2. Desos

Desos Senior Member

What if Joe has a chance to pay for his sins but is still spared eternal punishment? That is what I believe anyway.

Why should years in this life = years in the afterlife? Aren't our mortal years much more precious?

What if Tim does the 10 million years and afterwards he just resents it. So then he makes a million people miserable for 10 years again?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022