My Taste Of The Band Died After Hearing About This Announcement From The Grateful Dead.

Discussion in 'Grateful Dead and Phish' started by lenini56, Aug 5, 2015.

1. lenini56

lenini56 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sorry I reacted like this since I badly wanted to go to the reunion shows but from where I live was too far away. This show at MSG will be the make up show and why am I like this? Have you experience what the vibe of the Grateful Dead is all about? A community where hippie tribes from all around the country gather with peace, love and unity while embracing the music of the dead with full passion. And since this might be their last time playing together (I'm aware Phil Lesh is not gonna be there), see this as the very last high school reunion in history.

2. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Who did Hanson perform with?

3. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I couldn't disagree more. I don't know how familiar you are with GD guitar players or with playing guitar but there isn't anything mind-blowing in that video. The dude is good. Not knocking him at all but that video doesn't come even close to proving he's better than Jerry or Bob. There are probably 10,000 blues guitar players out there who could go up there and play what he played in that video. I can probably think of 8 or 10 people just on my local scene who could do it.

Edit to say....I didn't watch the last minute or so of the video.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

I tried to learn john mayer piece, stay inside the lines, damn difficult little jazzy riffs. Never did figure it out.

5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I'm not going to argue the point but I did make an effort to avoid the subjective aspect.

And you're right, I'm guessing there are thousands of guitarists out there that can play about any kind of style.

I'll just conclude he would be an interesting musician to see with GD.

1 person likes this.
  6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I think its obvious they hired someone that would attract some pretty [young] girls to the shows instead of the usual 60 yr old drugged out hippie chick groupies

haha....this thread is hilarious.....

2 people like this.
  7. Gongshaman

Lol, Oookay then. :dizzy2:

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

the Other One members Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and Mickey Hart, this happened at bryce jordan center in late 99, or late 2000 cant remember exactly .. but I was like "who are those girls on the stage?"

9. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

"The Other Ones" essentially they were The Greatful Dead without Garcia.

Personally I thought this was kind of surreal:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-XazrwECZQ

Yeah Bobby has a wife and kids now too. He can't be the Pussy Wrangler for ever.

@Leni. Everything you are criticizing John Mayer for he pretty much stopped doing about 10 years ago.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  10. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I used to love Hanson back in the day, when I was like 11-12. I got to see them in concert 10 years later, and to this day it is the worst concert I have ever been to. I could tell that what they do is just a job to them, they have no passion for it at all. It was really heart breaking.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I sent my partner to Chicago.
    I'm broke now.
    But traveling was a big part of the magic.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

9/17/2000 Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA

Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, Easy Answers, Baba Jingo > GDTRFB > Drumz/Jam > GDTRFB > Ramble On Rose, Victim or the Crime@bw/bh/sk, Friend of the Devil@bw/mk/sk/aj/bh, Uncle John's Band@aj/bh/mh, Preacher in the Ringaj/bh/mh, Samson and Delilah, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider*

E: The Weight*

*-with Hanson (Vocals)

(Furthur 2000; Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers opened)

knew I could find it if I looked hard enough. 2000..

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

He's busy with Phish and his solo band I'd assume.

14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You don't get it I see. But it's special to us.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Much like the Dead, John Mayer is better live than on record. Mayer's guitar style relies on a lot of crisp tones and subtle parts which I'm not sure how it will mesh with the Dead's more psychedelic type songs but as others have mentioned, he is a very gifted musician.

16. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

It might be an interesting texture/contrast.

C/S,
    Rev J

17. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Just forward me the tickets if you get some by default or fault or anything.

18. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I'm serious too. I promise I won't sell them. I'll go to the show and give any extras to family, friends, and miracles.

From what I read, they are going to stick to the format and not gay out with bad songs. Mayer will probably do better than Warren Haynes did.

19. Gongshaman

Gay out? Bad songs?

LOL, I'm sure they just love you die-hard fans

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I never cared for john mayer's pop music but I caught him jammin some bluesy stuff on the idiot box once and I thought it was very nice.

to be honest I like the idea of Mayer playing with them more so than Trey, I never liked him or his musical stylee

2 people like this.