My room is too childish, help

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by RetroGroove_Grrl, Jul 3, 2006.

1. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

My room, its cool, but I've out grown it I think. I want to make it more... grown up

My walls are green and purple .... I dont want to repaint but does anyone have any adultifying tips

pics soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

just changing the bedclothes and curtains would make a world of difference.

and get rid of those stuffed animals LOL ;)

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

sit down in the space when it's a clean as you can get it.
    close your eyes.
    think about your room, what you use it for, what it means to you and who you are within its walls.
    now shift to who you want to be, and how the room already supports that. What can change to help your growth?
    do you simply need to declutter? do you need more light, less light?
    are the textures too young? do you have too many stuffed animals on display? can you have fewer out at a time but a rotating display (true of any collection)?
    Start to imagine a dream room growing from what you have. Get wild , even improbable, this is how plans get made.
    Now, open your eyes and see the wild dream over the room you have.
    What are the easiest or most rewarding changes you can make now?
    do those. Repeat exercise as often as needed.

4. RetroGroove_Grrl

Drumminmama, thats great advice.

and everyone else. An more... its so hard to change things, no mattetr how much I want to

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

from the pics, your room already looks better then mine
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I think your room looks quite nice, but... I guess you want to change it, right? *shrug"

Whatever YOU are happy with, "childish" or not. It's your room, you have the right to have it anyway you want.

7. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

nice photos, it's beautiful. What's the fung shui like? How about rearranging some things, move the bed so you sleep with your head pointing east (I don't know why, my gramma does this, and I always sleep better that way). Some different curtains and an area rug would really make a big change.

8. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

Hey whats wrong with being a kid LOL I undestand what ur sayin though. I think drumminmamas ideas were great though and mama boogie meant to say Feng Shui(pronounced Fung Schway) is the art of placement. It literally means the way of wind and water in chinese. I followed this art of placement to declutter my own home and help wit the chi within it. Check out my website if you want to get a jist of what Feng Shui is. At least in my own terms:) Hope we helped you. Keep us posted on how the room comes out
    www.dawnson64.piczo.com

9. drumminmama

well, you room is retro more so than a kiddie room.
    And I guess that's fitting.
    I gather you find it stale.
    change the posters.
    drop the cash for poster frames and stack a few in them. this is safe wrinkle free storage and you know where they are when you want to change. just rotate which one is visible.
    You can do the same with records in a 12 inch by 12 inch frame.
    framing will give that polish that will appear adult.

Look for a solid colour duvet cover (or whip up your own from sheets), even a two sided one that works with the wall paint.
    pull those retro "tiles" together into a larger square to give them emphasis.
    and is the beaded/disc-y hanging around a ceiling light?
    look at something different there.

I know you were not interseted in repainting, but what about a sponge layer to add texture?

10. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

lighting affects the mood of a room as much as colour... try experimenting with differing styles of lights

11. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

I don't know if you like it, but I put several pillows and blankets on the floor, because I like sitting on the floor. Then I'll add more lamps, some at a lower lavel, not only one lamp at the ceiling. Then I'd try to have colors in the room that fit together. And finally i'd add a bookshelf with a big pillow in front of it to chill... But your room is already very nice. I always like changing my room and I wish you good luck with it.

12. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

I don't have too much to say about what to actually do, but when I want to change a room, I look at it and close my eyes and try to 'feel' how i want the room to look. Just relax and don't think at all. If you want the room to feel warmer, just let the 'colors' of warmer flow into your mind. One you're in the frame of mind, you can start to picture things that would look well.
    It kinda sucks that you don't want to repaint, as that could give the room a whole new feel. But as an earlier poster said, definately get/make a new douvet (sp?) cover for your bed, that will also make a world of difference. Or curtains, those are wonderful.
    If you can't really do the 'feeling' thing too well, I would also recomend finding something you like that represents the way you would like your new room to be, wether it's an ordament (sp?), the bed cover, a new head board, or curtains. Once you have one thing done, the rest falls into place really easily.

13. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i'll have the bed covers and pillow cases if you get rid of 'em :):)

14. IllusoryFreedom

IllusoryFreedom Member

*looks at the pink poodle blanket covering the mirror on my desk and the menagerie of stuffed animals around my room* Sorry, I can't help you. ;)

15. Forgotten-holocaust

Forgotten-holocaust Member

well your room is cool looking

well goodluck i wish i could help you being 16 is a problem lol :D

16. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

OMG that green is awesome! :)

Well, if you're just looking at decor and not repainting... hm, why not go for a bit more of a romantic look? you can probably find 2 or 3 glass vases that match the colours in your room, with contrasting flowers.... ie a light green vase with dark orange flowers, and/or a purple vase with pink flowers... there's a way of doing it not tacky. But vases of flowers and a few candle displays (3 candles, each a different height) would 'adult' it...

17. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

that bed has gotto go. a real man would break that in seconds!

18. drumminmama

always helpful, aren't we, Wayfaring?

19. RetroGroove_Grrl

its stronger than you think you know!

Thanks for all the tips guys, Definitely going to get into it!

20. campfirejam

campfirejam Something-Something

:) i would get a new bed set, a darker color one and hang some dark colored tapestrys on the wall, get some cool candles and a neat rug.

dannayelli