my question

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by hippie_au, Jun 1, 2004.

1. hippie_au

hippie_au Member

are we heading back into the 60's/70's type era???

i have heard that the war in iraq might be the new vietnam, if so where does that leave us??

will our men be picked out of a hat again and shipped off!

2. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

well, i didn't live during vietnam so i guess i'm not a really good person to make comparisons, but here's what i got-

1. in vietnam, the majority of the people we were fighting "for" didn't want us to. same in iraq.
    2. the government is using the word "terrorist" to scare us all into suporting them, like the red scare with "communist".
    3. there is a bill to start the draft up, and, well, i would hope everyone on this site knows vietnam used the draft.
    4. mainly, its not OUR war. if the country wanted to have a revolution, they should be leading it. not our dopey president. same as when nam happened.
    5. the govt is lying, but this is ALWAYS the case

BUT in contrast-
    1. the radical left isn't being as radical as it was :( .
    2. we didn't start nam, we started iraq.
    3. we have a lot more people helping us. (along with a LOT not.. just to clarify)

I'm sure there's more but I just woke up so its hard to think about it.

3. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

I don't think it is possible to predict when a philosophy/lifestyle will attain enough critical mass to become a movement. That said, there are huge differences between now and the sixties.

Your post was mostly about the war in Iraq. I certainly believe that an anti-war movement will grow if things continue, and particularly if the war escalates. But that does not mean that other aspects of the sixties counterculture would reappear.

The biggest difference I see between now and then is that Consumerism has become the dominant religion for America. Corporations/government have become masters at using the media and manipulating the masses. Most Americans, even Liberals, believe that a "high standard of living" is an American's birthright.

Bear in mind that an essential element of the hippy philosophy was that material possesions were mostly things that got in the way of spiritual progress. Hippies were either poor, or lived like they were. The idea of living a lifestyle that would be achievable and sustainable for the entire world population has pretty much disappeared from public debate.

Peace.

4. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

well i had said i didn't live back then. i'm only 18. i can't tell everyone how it was compared to now in spiritual terms. i used the facts i knew and presented them. i don't think i'm going to see an overabundance of hippies anytime soon. history repeats itself, but not identically. a lot of things changed in the country because of all the movements that went on back then and so its not going to be exactly like that ever again. i was just trying to inform whoever on why people are comparing this war to nam. i thought someone else who lived back then should be saying more on it.

5. hippie_au

hippie_au Member

i didnt mean exactly like the 60's.. the lifestyle has changed alot, drugs,money..

just some things, like protesting,clothes,the draft.. all seem 2 similar 2 the 60's

6. Acorn

Acorn Member

i think if junior gets relected, it might turn into somthing very simular to vietnam.

7. YogaOfLove

YogaOfLove Member

i think society in general is shaping out like the 60/70's, except more comercialized, half the people dont believe in what they say they do, they just do it, lets smoke some pot because thats what everyone else does, lets protest bush and the war cause everyone else does...i think(i dont know)back then there was a lot more freedom, and openess, and comfortableness(if thats a word) but a general exceptance of who you wanted to be, everything was groovy, and today i dont think its like that:(

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

it certainly looks that way...

9. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

I'm not sure. We haven't been there long enough to really know.