My parents won't let me go.

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by WoodstockChild, May 13, 2006.

1. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

2. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Woodstock, just so you know, I didn't assume you were a cop or anything :).. I probably was saying flower power when I was 15 too, and in middle school I was a total "hippie" (or what I thought a hippie was, at that point). So, I've been into the full hippie cliche too, and know it isn't necessarily a failed attempt at blending in for other purposes.

My not suggesting you go wasn't an attempt to cover my own ass, but because I'm genuinely concerned about the safety of a 15 year old traveling alone (especially one who isn't seasoned to it.. as I think being "shelthered" is more dangerous in that situation as you know less of what to expect..etc etc)

Good luck to you.. and life gets better, I promise..

Looking back there are things I miss about being 14/15/16 that I couldn't see at the time because I let "them" get to me too much, their taunting and their ignorance (if that's the right word) tore me down and only in retrospect can I see the good that was then. Hopefully you can see it while it happens, more than I could.

3. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

getting ridiculous? glad you are so wise that you would let paranoia keep you from offering heartfelt advice. so what if some of the people who ran away themselves thought of it as a right of passage; for many it is (especially males); but many of those who posted on thread have given WoodstockChild positive (and legally safe) advice. Why would you post hurtful accusations based on your own fears? I wrote 'flower power' on all my notebooks when I was a teen, complete with hippie peace daisys & all the other typical mantras (war is unhealthy...., ect), and I am far from being a cop.

As far as potlucks; your profile says Neb; plenty of stuff going on up that way; Texas is a whole other story, especially west TX. Please do some research before you place your paranoia on others.

4. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

woodstockchild, ill repeat what people have been saying over and over. go to a local rainbow gathering! someone posted links for you about the local drum circle and potluck in your area. go to that! why are you so convinced you have to get to the nationals? you're mom would probably be more supportive of you going to a local gathering, then a weeklong gathering hundreds of miles from home. you'll meet the same type of people, with the same common goals.

and i apologize for how harsh this will probably sound, but you have nooooo idea what to expect at a rainbow gathering. if you're life so far has consitsted of reading articles about hippies on wikipedia like you said, you will SHIT when you get to your first gathering.

all that said, if you do decide to go, then best of luck. hopefully your aura doesn't have any holes at the time, and you find positive vibes. maybe ill see you around sometime at a festival or gathering down the line. stay safe.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

actually, those links are for a LONG way away

6. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

well post a better one, i gave it a shot :p

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

woodstock, could you get to Las Cruces easily on occasion?
    Unity Church on Alabama has drunmming meditation

8. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

there are drum circles in Austin too; the info is on the Texas chat group

by the way, thanks for posting that link rob

we've been trying to get the chat group built up to have folks from all areas of TX but so far there are only a few of us who post regularly, mostly from central TX (or folks who will soon be in cen. TX)

9. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

I've found something I can do to bring the hippie spirit into El Paso. There is a mountain range going through the city, and on the one of the mountains is a huge light-up star that, for 30 dollars, you can light for someone, and they post who it was lit for in the paper. On December 8th I will be lighting it for John Lennon. What do you think? His light still shines here.

10. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think if it makes you happy you should do it, but keep in mind there are probably a lot of things you can do with 30 bucks (or your time) to support the living such as homeless shelthers or women's shelters, or animal welfare. That would in my opinion be more of the hippie spirit, but of course honoring Lennon is fine as well..

11. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

got to agree here but there's no reason that you can't honor John while volunteering your time (or money...time is actually more precious) The most important thing in John's world when he died was his child & children from all over the world; maybe you could donate the money to a children's charity & volunteer at a day care for homeless children....

12. WoodstockChild

Maybe so, but my heart is set on doing this. It's symbolic. His light still shines here today, even 30 years later. I want people to know that. :)

13. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA ROLMFAO!!!!!!:p
    LUVIN YOU BROTHER..

HEHHEHEHEHE,, TO FUCKIN FUNNY..:)

14. WoodstockChild

Nothing anyone says is going to diminish my desire to be at this thing, you know. Try to scare me all you want, but I can assure you it isn't going to stop me :)

15. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Some of the issues people have brought up about you going alone SHOULD scare you.

16. m6m

m6m Member

WOW!!
    Struck by lightening!
    Your buddha strength carries you into this world as a Rainbow Warrior of Light!
    Just knowing that there's still one person existing in this world with such a powerful light makes this a world worth living in!

17. WoodstockChild

18. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

A while back there was a child molester who had a bus full of toys to entice the kids in, thankfully he's now in jail thanks to out Rainbow Elders (back in the 80's), the pervs and perps like to camp around kiddy village to get to know the young nubiles. It's just wrong, we aren't camping anywhere near there.

One time at a gathering there was a mud cuddle puddle and this guys tried to rape a Sister right in front of us.

Sometimes people get their boundaries way too far out into counter-culture, one Sister (whom shall remain nameless) was trying to breed her 13 yo son to a 13 girl because she wanted to be a *young grandmother* and enjoy it. She facilitated the 13 yo girl to run away from her Mother (the Mother really wanted her girl by her, not be under the influence of this other woman), luckily the girl didn't get pregnant, but she did do everything else and now won't be going to the Gathering this year.

19. optitom

optitom Member

The pic is a grateful dead pic from when they played at jones beach in long island new yor.

20. Anagaharad

Anagaharad Member

When i was 15 i thought i was invincible as well. i was fearless through ignorance.
    At the age of 24, i wouldnt go to a gathering alone.
    If this girl goes, she is just going to be a burden on whoever has to take care of her while she is there. She isnt even capable of making plans to get there on her own. How responsible (for herself) do you think she is going to be for herself when she is there?
    It's not fair to others.
    Especially her parents. Ok, so they may be a out of touch (my mother said I couldnt even have a boyfriend until i was over 16).... She certainly isnt going to prove her maturity to them and gain their trust and confidence by running away. It is the most childish, immature, hissyfit-temper tantrum she could possibly throw (and inadvertantly proving her parents completely right about her)
    im not even going to go into the dangers of rapists, murders, and theives since everyone else has brought it up already