My parents are getting a devorce.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by HippyCor$ter, Apr 29, 2007.

1. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

{{{Hugs sweetie}}}

I'm really sorry to hear that HippyCor$ter. My parents divorced 15 years ago, but honestly, it was for the better. They actually get along better now than they did when they were married.

It's not going to be easy to deal with, especially at first, I won't lie to you about that, but you're going to make it through, I promise.

Hang in there, and keep your chin up.

2. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

I'm so sorry. I know what your going through, mine got divorced as well. But it will all work out, you'll see :)

Your not alone in this. =]

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

It's a shame you have to go through what you're going through and it sucks that your parents are expecting you to take sides. We all have our unique little stories- 30 years ago my family broke up starting with me being taken out and placed in foster care. Then mom, who was unwilling to stand up to dad while he was beating us kids and threatening me with a .22 caliber pistol, suddenly discovered enough courage to leave him.

On one hand, mom would have been doing her children and herself a huge favor by dumping her violent, alcoholic husband many years before she did. On the other hand, the family that I was placed with did one hell of a job putting the pieces of me back together; had I remained with mom throughout my childhood there's no telling where I'd be in life so at least from my perspective things happen for a reason and it's usually for the best.

4. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

sorry to hear that you have to go through that.......... really I am.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i honestly believe my own parents would have been much happier had they gotten one before i was born. instead they kept making each other miserable for more then 50 years. my dad eventualy kicked off, more then 15 years ago, and my mom has finaly been able to more or less mellow out, now that she's in her late 80s and no longer able to do much of anything besides watch tv and feed her cats.

well obviously i have no idea what parents going through a devorce is like, i'm just pointing out that the alternative isn't all tea and roses either.

i'm sure it IS hell to be with people who keep looking for and finding excuses to not like each other. that was my hell, even without anything like an actual devorce invoulved.

not everyone is better off living with each other or with anyone. that's all i'm trying to say.

=^^=
    .../\...

6. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

Has your family tried counseling? What about a seperation for a little while. Maybe they just need time apart so they can regroup and realize the love that they have for each other isn't gone.

Your Mom sounds like she's exhausted, rightfully so. It's hard living with someone who has mental issues. Unless you've been there, felt it, experienced it, it's really hard to be patient with someone who has it.

Your 18, your sister is 17? Any siblings younger than her? Maybe your Mom and Dad are worried what will keep them together once you and your sister are out of the house. They probably need to find each other again.

As far as the rest of the family...doesn't sound like they are all that. I don't know your family. If anything they should be there for you all to help give support and strength. Can you reach out to anyone in the family?