my new apartment... is boring.

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by tree_huggin_veg, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

I have this old chair sitting in my living room tat came with the apartment, and I draped this gorgeous (and cheap- you can get them for $10 here) sari over itm and threw a couple of cheap Indian-looking throw pillows on top, then I used tacks to pin another sari above it in the corner to create sort of a tent over top of the chair, so it hangs down around the sides of the chair. I just loved how it looked anbd thought I'd share :) It totally changes a room!

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

sunburst that sounds so sweet.
    I'd love to do that but I have allergy issues and have to lean to Zen over Moghul Empire.
    I can imagine the conversations asking my sweetie with help every other month to wash all the ceiling fabric:
    Sweetie? I need your help within the next hour.
    (him) Why?
    Because I'm washing seventy-leven yards of fabric that is curently on the ceiling.

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Oh my God that almost made me spit out my water laughing!

4. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I made myself a wall of inspiration. I cut out tons of magazine pictures, found tons of awesome quotes, and just went nuts. Where it is is where my desk is...so when I write, I have an entire wall to look at that inspires me. I also painted and added some of my work on there...I included pics of my friends. It's awesome! I suggest everyone does this!

5. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

it depends on the look you're going for. thrift stores and such are good for getting weirdly cool old furniture and stuff. one thing that really makes a room cooler is little holiday lights, like you put on your house during christmas. you can get them in white or colored and either one is really cool. if you use some tape to stick them around the edges of the ceiling and then plug the end into an inconspicuously colored extention cord (neatly tucked into a corner of course) and plug that into the wall. voila! cool lights. a bunch of those in an otherwise unlit room look really neat and are surprisingly bright.

6. keysha1980

keysha1980 Member

If you want to give your new house a great new look you can start with the windows coverings. They are attractive, affordable come with all the necessary fittings and are delivered to your home. Check out this website and tell me what you think. Personnaly, I'm not very talented in making original things but these blinds really changed the entire look of my home. Trust me

www.hants.gov.uk/links/buslink.html

7. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

on the other hand badwolf, ikea has some really groovy chairs and lamps, i also am a big fan of their dishes and cutlery but that is neither here nor there. but yeah i hate when i walk into a room and instanstly go "oh, your mommy shops at ikea doesn't she"
    haha, i'd also say just to get lots of fabrics, rugs, pillows, fabrics .. textures are so nice