My Lifestyle change - switching to a vegetarian diet

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Roach, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Joshua Roach

Joshua Roach JMichaelR148

A lifestyle change which I have undergone this year was my switch to a Vegetarian based diet which I followed on the first of January. I switched to a Vegetarian diet over my previous diet which was basically eating anything and everything in sight :grinning: as I love animals and just didn't like the thought of the pain involved just to satisfy my hunger. I've been Vegetarian for almost Ten months now and haven't looked back once on eating meat! especially as going Veggie has encouraged me to try all kinds of new things which previously I probably wouldn't have tried. Camel milk is the one thing which I have tried this year which was very refreshing!

What lifestyle changes has anybody else went through lately they would like to share?

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I switched to veggie in April. My motivation was to use less of the Earth's resources for food production and reduce the effects of climate change. I may go vegan at some point. I need to spend more time on cooking fresh food to do that I think.

Joshua Roach likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Bully for you. I can't say enough good things about switching to vegetarianism. It's been almost a decade for me. Let me know if you want any ideas or pointers.

Joshua Roach likes this.
  4. Joshua Roach

That's a very thoughtful motive of you to be wanting to cut back on nature's resources. I'm the same but with electricity since there's always a lot of electronics all running at the same time. I'm just a huge music fan so I have my music player on all of the time haha :) That's nice you're wanting to go Vegan. I think as long as you can cook and have plenty of recipe ideas and nutritional knowledge it'll go a long distance for you!

Joshua Tree likes this.
  5. Joshua Roach

Thank you very much! :) I really appreciate that. Honestly I have usually similar meals these days with stir fries and meals with different bits I buy from the shops. I haven't much practice with cooking and have had some pretty bad experiences with cooking :fearscream: I remember cooking an omelette and I flipped it over like a pancake and the yolk dripped over myself which made me drop the pan on the floor. Another time I put poptarts in the toaster and it completely broken the toaster. I don't have the best of luck when it comes to cooking hahah
    I'd be delighted if you had recipes I could follow though. Maybe my bad days of cooking are over Lol

6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

7. morrow

morrow Visitor

Vegetarian stews currys etc are so tasty.. Asda has a great slow cooker for only £10..

I guarantee it's worth every penny, and cuts your fuel Bill's down..

No I'm not vegetarian but I love vegetarian food.

8. lost in Earl Grey

lost in Earl Grey Members

I’ve been vegan for a little over a year now but that’s actually not the change in lifestyle I want to talk about! Believe me it was a huge change and I’ve seen so many wonderful results from it and love every second of it but honestly deciding to stop shaving and then dreading my hair was an even bigger change.. I suppose before that I was considered very beautiful by many people and part of why I chose to stop shaving and dread my hair was to cut down the amount of attention I got... and to attracted the type of open and loving people that I want to associate with. And lastly but most importantly it was a “radical” choice to accept my body as it is (not shaving I mean) and I dreaded my hair because some cultures believe hair holds spiritual energy and that knotting the hair holds EVEN more energy. That idea has stuck with me for years and this summer I finally changed my hair. 90% of the time I’m in love with the change I’ve made but sometimes I do feel a little uncomfortable in my own skin. Not anymore than before though!
    It’s just a process to more love and acceptance ☺️

Make love!!

morrow and hippie's daughter like this.
  9. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

I went vegetarian, and occasionally go back to it. It's the best thing one can do for the environment.

Good on you! Proud of ya. Anyone that is trying to better themselves is rad in my book

10. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Wow where do I start ?

Approximately just over 7 years ago I was 18 and half stone and was that unfit that I couldn't tie my shoe laces without being out of breath . My diet was similar to yours ie eat everything and that normally consisted of pizza + something else . I am only 5ft 10 and so I was considerably over weight . I also started developing pains in my chest but I hadn't the bottle to go to the doctor. My blood pressure was in the amber section as well . Not looking good ! To make matters worse I had just turned 50 which is the age group things start to fail if you don't look after yourself

I had to take action and quickly. First of all I altered my diet slowly and dropped a lot of foods including all junk food and anything that includes high amounts of the bad saturated fats . This includes pies ,poor cuts of red meat ( burger sausages) ,pastries, some dairy products and foods with high amounts of sugars including fruit juices ,breakfast cereals and bread . There are probably many more examples that I could list.

After losing the first stone the pains in the chest disappeared completely and I just carried on. When I was down to around 14 stone I bought my first Wonder Core Smart exercise machine and I am currently on my third machine. I tend to hammer these somewhat and they tend to last me around 16 months on average. I work out 4 times a week minimum and each session lasts just for one hour which includes getting dressed and showered after. This is still cheaper than a gym membership . These machines got rid of my "beer" belly and now I have wonderful Abs of which my wife likes to kiss .

I am currently 12 stone exactly and now fit medium sized clothes. I was originally 40 inch waist and now 31 inch. My blood pressure is in the green safe section .

My diet is now what is termed as flexitarian which is basically semi vegetarian . I still eat a little white meat ( chicken) but no red meat . I have found the vegetarian and vegan alternatives such as burgers very tasty once my taste buds got used to them .Vegetarian or vegan foods don't have to be tasteless . There are many tasty things to try out there .

My message to anyone thinking of just going on a diet is to forget it. It has to be a lifestyle change otherwise your weight will just reappear when you go back to your old eating habits. So just change your diet slowly like I did and you will succeed.