My kitty isn't fixed....yet......

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Elle, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Elle

Elle Senior Member

My cat is 2.5 years old now and he's never been properly fixed. I know, I know.......:& There is no good reason for it, other than where we live is a very small apartment complex and it's isolated near an open field, and it just so happens that there are no other cats nearby, so I never had to worry about him getting into fights or getting another cat preggers. He does spend alot of his time outside in the field and he does spray everwhere (outside only though). Lately he runs around spraying like mad and crying so loud! I felt so awful for him, and I do want to get him fixed but I worry that it wouldn't be good to do at his age. I have read that when cats get to be his age that it may not even be effective to get him snipped. Plus I remember with my last cat, when he was fixed he had to wear one of those cones on his head for a while and he hated it! He cried all the time and struggled to get out of it, and he couldnt properly get to his water and food bowl to drink or eat with it on, and it weighed his head down so much that he was almost immobilized. I hated to see him like that and I don't want to put my baby through that now. I'm just so hesitant seeing as how there are no other cats around so it isn't causing any problems that I can tell. But then I also feel so bad knowing that my kitty is in heat all the time (yes I know that's the female term but I don't know what to call it for males). I don't know:(.....opinons please?

2. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Cats roam a lot further than you might think, so I wouldn't be at all sure he didn't impregnate any kitties... They don't call like that for no reason; even if they normally may not go that far, if he's calling here and she's calling way off somewhere, and they do manage to hear eachother, well, they may go a little further out just once, and that's all it takes. :) It's possible he'll continue to spray to mark his territory, however he'll not be able to impregnate any kitties anymore... there are already so many kittens out there in shelters, kittens are cute but we really, really don't need any more litters...

Also my cat never wore a cone, I don't know if it was something your vet did just in case he'd lick, or whether something had gone wrong, but that's not normal procedure for getting a cat fixed.

3. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Oh well, that's really good to know (about the cone). I was really especially hesitant because of that. Yeah, I do know that he roams pretty far, but luckily where we live is really isolated and there is nothing but forest on all sides of us. But still.....yeah I know. I definatley don't want him getting another cat pregnant. I have always been concerned about the growing amount of homeless animals in shelters. Well, I'm glad I know that now (cone thing) although wouldn't they need to do that so that the cat wont bite at his stitches? That's what I'd always thought. And does anyone know how much it usually costs? I suppose I could call my vet, but they aren't open today. Thank you Myranya:)

4. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

A male kitty shouldn't have any stitches, or maybe one.. It's mostly external with just minor surgery needed, less than with a female. My female had a few and she didn't have a cone either... just dissolvable stitches and she never licked... vet said just to watch her and only if she really started to mess with it would she need one but she never did.
    The biggest downside I find neutering has is that Zeerox got a lot fatter soon afterwards... gotta watch their diet 'cause they often tend to fatten up after.

5. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

Yay...I want to offer my opinion.

I been working in an animal hospital for 4 years now. (reception,vet-tech)

1_E-collars=cone are needed so the pet don't try to lick or pull the stiches out. It may seemed unconfortable but it's harmless. Pets with the e-collar on can eat and drink, even tho it looks odd.
    2_Males and females get stiches. Even with dissolvable stiches some vet recommend the e-collar.
    But let me add, some pets are good with insicions and they don't even feel pain nor need the e-collar.
    3_I DO RECOMMEND YOU SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR PET. By doing this you prevent your pet from getting diseases such as CANCER. (you can search on the net for more info) It might seem cruel but I prefer having my dog for many more years than suffering at the age of 8 from some cancer that could have been prevented.
    4_I neutered my dogs, Angus is on the pic below, myself of course with the help of a vet! and it's not a big deal. It takes 15-20 min, then a couple of hours later they are fully awake. The first 2 days is not going to bee easy for them, 'course they went throught surgery!!! but before you know it they are jumping and running like nothing ever happened.
    5_I neutered Angus when he was 5 years old. So age has nothing to do with anything. At the hospital we also rescue cats and we fix them at any age. (we do blood work first to make sure everything is good)
    6_I live in Jersey and every 3 moths the state offers money for people that can afford the whole amount. Also there is an organization called Friends Of Animals and what you do, you go on the net type Friends of animals, see if any local vet takes the certificate. Then you make a donation and they'll send you a certificate that covers the surgery. But then again. I don't know where you live. But I'm sure if you go to your vet they'll inform you of any certificates or payment plans. Here in Jersey is about $400, including all the blood work and pain killers to take home.

I would recommend you neuter your cat, but that is all up to you.
    I just wanted to put my opinion!

Have a great day!

Fer;)

6. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Thank you Fernanda, that was very informative.:) Yes, I do want to have my cat neutered and I have decided that I will as soon as I get some extra money together. Thanks.

7. apple seed

apple seed Member

our two 6 mounths old pussys are not ether so i know how you feel.

love and blessings apple seed.

8. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

Yay...I glad I was able to help!!!!!

Once you get it done...let me know how is everything!
    My Angus is getting a dental soon (I'm going to be doing it!!!!!) and I'm going to do it on a friday and then I'll take the weekend off from work so I can be with him and keep an eye on him.
    If you want you can get the surgery done on a friday and then spend the weekend with ur kitty!

Fer;)

9. Elle

Elle Senior Member

How wonderful to actually be able to go in there yourself and do the procedure or help with it. Are you a vet tech? Yes, I when I get him fixed I'll definatley be scheduling it around a time when I can be home for him as he gets better. Love the pic of your dog angus....makes such a cute firefighter!

10. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

my kitty is fixed... he went to the vet early in the day, like 9 or 10ish, maybe; by 4pm he was ready to come home. his bill was a little over $100 -- because he was a "stray" and i didnt have any paperwork for him, he needed to get his shots and i also had them do bloodwork and he had ear mites (the total cost included the medicine, too). so hopefully you can find a better price for your cat, assuming you have proof of his shots and he doesnt have anything else going on. my cat didn't get a cone around his head, and he didnt pull out his stich/es. he pretty much slept until the next afternoon. it was kind of scary, though, to open up his kitty carrier and have him stumble out, hopped up on whatever it is they used to knock him out. the vet said not to pick him up for a few days (i guess because his stiches could tear?) but he was back to normal pretty quickly. male cats are easier and cheaper to fix than female cats. anyway, i figured i'd just toss one more experience your way. hopefully your kitties experience is as easy as it was for my kitty. best of luck!

11. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Thanks!

12. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

Yes, I'm a vet tech!
    I'm soo happy I was able to help u
    And thanks....I looooove my Angus....soo much that I went to Burguer King and got a huge poster with his name on it...(too bad it advertises meat...and I dont' eat meat!)

Fer