my how times have changed

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by madcrappie, May 27, 2006.

1. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I was reading an article my great grandpa wrote. he harvested corn for 50 cents a week, a week mind you. this was in the 1890s.... crazy. I make 9.25 an hour......

2. steffan

steffan puffin

my first job 160 an hour, my last one was 18, thinking back i had more free money making 8 in the early 80's
    but more to the point, my old man told me how when he was a kid, things like premade bread and clothes where luxury items,

3. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Yeah computers were for large corporations, corded dial phones, beta machines, camcorders that required the extra battery pack to run. Kids could go to the park and play and you felt safe, damn this is all in the wrong spot I bet....

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Damn, Ryan, you make less than I do. I make $12/hour, and I think that's meager for these times.

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Wages are all a matter of perspective. Cost of living in your area, your desires and limits of what you enjoy and lastly are you happy. I know a guy that is a cashier at a gas station and never wants more, he loves his job and does odd things for extra cash and is totally happy.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Don't lecture me. I couldn't care less about money. All I care about is having enough money to live modestly without having to depend on others. Unfortunately, the cost of living in itself is not exactly cheap.

7. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Okay my bad I took the whole Damn Ryan bla bla bla wrong. I dont lecture, not being paid to be anyones parent on here and the job could not pay enough.

8. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

2 years ago I was living on an informal commune in southern cal, spending maybe $5 a day (including tabacco and hanging out at the coffee shop) and making about $40 a day collecting cans.

now I've got an apartment and a decent job and I'll tell you what; if I could go back to the life I had in so-cal, or recreate it somewhere else, I probably would.

9. May Aizelle

May Aizelle Member

I dont know about corn harvesting but I do know that farmers only get 15 cents per hundred weight of milk in PA.......they used to get like 3 cents or something I cant remember I almost wanna look it up....

10. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

hmmmm> I am salary now, but I never earned more than 6 bucks an hour before I joined the navy.

11. AshtonsMom

AshtonsMom Banned

Kinda makes you wonder where the economy is gonna stand 70 years from now

12. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

"stand"?

13. AshtonsMom

AshtonsMom Banned

lmao yes..."stand" or if you wish, "be" or "be like" lmao

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

haha, nice one naykidape.

ps, economy may not be an issue in 70 yrs.

15. AshtonsMom

AshtonsMom Banned

economy may or may not be an issue. nothing wrong with wondering. :D