My Hero!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by West Point, Jun 17, 2004.

1. danip

danip Banned

The only positive reasons I can see to legalize post is for cancer patients that are going to die, and to tax the hell out of people that are stupid enough to smoke it. Pot smoke is very hard on your lungs but people do not usually smoke as much weed as they do tobacco. Pot does not have good effects on your brain. Every heavy smoker I knew at school was as dumb as a brick. They had simply smoked themselves stupid.

Yes smoking a joint CAN hurt someone else. You arent thinking straight when you are high, you do stupid things just like if you are drunk. Sure it could threaten national security just not very likely. Insite riot? of course it can people do stupid things, pot has different effects on people you could be agitated more easily while high and start fights which could lead to riots. Molest children? Sure again people do stupid things while high, they are not thinking straightly. So the correct anwsers would not be no, no and no it would be YES, YES, and YES!

2. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

hey max, sorry about skipping your post...i was in a bit of a rush to get some things done.

west point - i responded to kc post with my experience and so did lucifersam. and i just read max's post. it wasn't just about the brain. i know the risks of smoking, anything you smoke has a bad effect. but the article still didn't say anythign about drastic effects on the brain.

------

i wouldn't say low blood flow to the brain is drastic. there is also some stats on that webpage that are wrong, just like lucifer pointed out. the 50% of people having a bad trip is wrong. alot of what they said on that website, like decreased muscle strenth, lower exercise tolerance is the complete opposite of of me. my muscle strength is not lower that what it normally is. and i do the same amount of exercise i would normally do. i go for complete muscle failure whenever i work out, which is quite often (4-5 days a week). poor memory...actually when i smoke i can remember more things than i would when sober and my memory is effected by the concussions i have had. amotivational syndrom does not effect me, nor does it effect my friends. we do more when we smoke. "depression, especially in new users", i have never once seen anybody i know become depressed from smoking. them smoking might have brought them to realize they were already depressed, but it was not the cause of them being depressed. i have experienced paranoia, buts thats when i was a newb to smoking, i don't experience it anymore.

3. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Guess I'll tackle this point-by-point with bullets.

- National security... I'm puzzled as to how pot relates to national security in any specific way.
    - Inciting riots... well based on my own experience, stoned people really aren't prone to violent riots - that's kinda too much effort :p I think it's much more of a sedative than an agitator. In fact there was the recent story regarding the notorious "hooligan" soccer fans of England... they had a match against arch-rival France in Portugal, and the Portuguese police informed the fans up front that they'd turn a blind eye to them if they toked up. The police knew that a stoned crowd is way less rowdy than a drunk one.
    - Molest children... if someone molests children while high, it would be because the person is apparently prone to molesting kids far more than the pot, although the pot can cloud judgment. Still, it's a stretch.

4. West Point

West Point Banned

If you think that by drastic I mean death, paralysis, or brain damage my post must have mislead you.

5. fitzy21

-death by marijuana is practically impossible.
    -death by having an accident such as a car accident could happen, but more than likely alcohol was invovled. the number of people who just have marijuana in there system is a lot lower than people with just alcohol. i'm not saying it doesn't happen with just marijuana, but its a lower percentage than the percentage of alcohol.
    -i never heard of anyone getting paralysis or brain damage from smoking marijuana.

6. West Point

West Point Banned

glad we can agree on one thing.

7. fitzy21

see, theres always a middle ground:D

btw, west point...what was the reason for you to choose west point. do you go there, by chance? just wondering. just struck, doesn't actually apply to the thread, but i dunno.

8. danip

danip Banned

Marijuanas threat to national security is far out, I'll admit it would be hard to find a direct connection there. Inciting riots? We'll I will also admit stoned people are alot more calm, but I have been around alot of stoned people and there are a select few that do get rather violent when stoned so that is possible. Pot I do not think impairs you as much as alcohol to molest children and rape people but I am sure that people have done stupid stuff like that because they were stoned. I have to admit I am for legalizing marijuana, I do not think its HORRIBLE drug but I do think that it is bad I do think that the people that smoke it are stupid and I do know it makes you stupid, I ve seen it to many times. But I think if we legalized it governments could get a hell of alot in taxes, and I think the tax on it should be extremely high.

9. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

as for drug use, habitual heavy use of anything is going to be bad for you. i think everything exists on the planet for a reason, and drugs, when used with respect, can do you a world of good. it's the abuse of those drugs that brings people to grief. havea little respect. and quit trying to deny that these drugs can permanently alter your brain and body chemistry. respect is a very healthy emotion. learn it.

10. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Just an interesting side note, it was pot and an obsession with classic rock that started getting me interested in politics... questioning the integrity of the government's drug war, and about the social strife and civil rights movement in the '60s respectively... and it just sorta took off from there. I used to be a really apolitical kid who didn't understand nor gave a fuck for anything related to this sorta stuff. Heh, so there's a drastic effect I suppose [​IMG]

11. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yeah, when used properly, many drugs can really jump start your mind. too much, though, and the usage becomes all about the drug instead of broadening your horizons. when i was on coke, i found myself able to address and ponder many of my personal problems and problems with my family that i had always shied away from. it was a huge breakthrough for me, and then i quit. had i continued using, i would have lost all the gains i had made. so i'm grateful, but i have enough respect for the drug to stay they hell away from it from now on.