My FIRST PAP SMEAR!!!!

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by randomuserhaha, Jan 19, 2005.

1. randomuserhaha

randomuserhaha Member

Ok I'm due for a pap smear tomorrow. I've never done it before. I'm a bit scared. If anything goes wrong I won't know because it's my first. Please tell me what to expect tomorrow. *cry*

2. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I don't know if you're a virgin or not -- so I don't know if you're used to people poking at your vagina... :p But while I'm not a girl, I understand that they're going to be taking some sort of swab or something from your cervix or uterus... They'll use a speculum to hold your vagina open, and I think sometimes the complaint is that those are cold. Your biggest discomfort will probably be from having your feet up in the stirrups and your vulva exposed wide for a guy (or woman -- is your doctor a woman?) you don't know to examine. That'd likely magnify any real actual physical discomfort. But you know, like giving blood, sometimes there's a little pain involved in medical procedures, but when it's done, the pain goes away, you forget about it, and you've done something you had to do.

Don't forget, the doctor is experienced at this and knows about the reactions that people have. If this were a big traumatic thing, people wouldn't have it done. It could save your health or your life, so don't back out because you're a little nervous. Don't you realized, you'll be a stronger person who knows more about facing down her fears and how strong she can be, once you're through it?

Good luck. Take deep breaths. Don't fear.

-Jeffrey

3. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

It's not bad at all sweetie. It's a little awkward the first time, but no worries. Don't let the speculum spook ya, it doesn't hurt. Just relax..:)

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

pap smears have never hurt for me. Yeah, the speculum is unpleasant, but it doesn't hurt. They basically just use a q-tip with long handle for the pap smear. A lot of times it'll come up with a 'problem" and they test again, and nothing's wrong. So don't freak out.

5. gentle revolutionary

gentle revolutionary Member

6. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

I had my first pap smear a few months ago.
    It is absolutely nothing to be worried about.
    I walked outta there about half an hour later wondering what the crap was I so worried about??
    Seriously, it's easy like cheese.

7. ~jane_says~

~jane_says~ Member

OK Random...What Jeffrey said pretty much sums it up...I would like reiterate that this procedure last a couple of minutes and does not hurt. The doctor will often do three other tests if you are sexually active, which are chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis. All depending on how thorough the doctor is. Your only real worry is if the pap smear comes back abnormal, which means your cervial cells are changing. This most likely means you have contracted HPV, the human pappilloma virus, which are internal warts that can lead to cancerous cells if left untreated...Well Good luck to you...Jane.

8. lynsey

lynsey Banned

make sure to tell them if you're a virgin.

9. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

I still find it uncomfortable, and I'm old. I've been through FAR worse experiences, believe me. Hopefully you'll have a decent OB-GYN who will be compassionate. Just tell them straight up that you're scared, don't know what to expect, and you're nervous.

10. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

yeah i hate em yick... but they don't hurt, it just makes me uneasy to have two women viewing me with my legs spread open and one touching my breasts and other areas.. hehe.. i think it relates to an earlier bad experience of a doctor though... when i was 13... *shrug* just relax and it'll be over before you know it...

11. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

you can request that your doctor use the smaller speculum. i forget the term for it, but your doc will definitely know which one you're talking about. and for the bimanual part, you can also request that she use one finger instead of two.

relax and breathe and don't tense up.

some women have some cramping and spotting right afterwards, so you might want to bring a pantyliner or something. i've never bled from a pap smear, but they do give me cramps. it depends on the individual, i guess.

12. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

haha thats funny, the first post on pap smears was from a guy... thats like asking a girl the best way to give a guy a blowjob or something

13. randomuserhaha

randomuserhaha Member

I just had my pap smear this morning and I was crying. The doctor said I was too tight cause I was so nervous. I am just glad it's over and not looking forward to doing again next year. On the upside I got the patch (ortho evra) and she gave me some emergency contraceptives as well.

Anyhow thanks for all the advice. It helped me. I think I would have been even more nervous to the point where I would have not gone for my appointment at all.