My experiences with photography class

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Deleted member 313194, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I did that in Year 10. Loved it.

DrRainbow and hotwater like this.
  2. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

I bet selfies were different back then. lol

3. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I did photography at school, they'd got all the gear but nobody was interested, so it was just me at lunchtimes and after schools, I loved it. Nowadays it's all digital so it's easier, I've done a few weddings for people, just friends and family and one when the photographer cancelled at the last minute.
    A tip for the op, always take several photo's of the same thing, being digital it costs nothing and you can pick the best one.on a landscape photo for example, the sun may just appear from behind a cloud, thus changing the light, or with people you can sometimes catch them off guard and get a more natural looking shot. I remember after my best mate's wedding, I,d done the pics and we all went back to his house for a buffet. His new wife looked really stressed trying to talk to everyone and make sure everything went perfect. I kept an eye on her and eventually she slipped off to a quiet corner for a few minutes peace, she sat down on a chair, slipped off her shoes and sipped a glass of wine, the expression on her face was perfect, it was my 'money shot'. Without her knowing I took about half a dozen pictures in rapid succession, picked the best one and printed it off 10x12 in black and white, they loved it, in fact they've got it on a side table as you walk into the house.
    I get a lot of pleasure from actually taking pictures, oddly enough it relaxes me, I get even more pleasure from seeing the subjects face when I show them the pictures.

4. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

HA, selfies, I remember my first mobile phone, calls only, not even texts, it was like a housebrick, then again it did come in handy if you got mugged, as a club.

5. Did a lot of playing around with shutter speeds and depth of field.
    Had to re-shoot both because they didn't come out in the way how they should.

Anyway my cat Gizmo makes a great model to take photos of.

3F50D467-849F-442C-83AB-A609A5F31B19.jpeg D98D0702-B934-4127-A128-15AF3A51F65A.jpeg FB9A055C-2A28-49E5-977E-FE60FDF41730.jpeg
    They are deliberately out of focus because that was asked of us in the learning task to do.
    Giz let me rub his belly in the first one.

mysticblu21 and DrRainbow like this.
  6. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Oh, I did wonder about the focus, then I read.
    Well done.

SuzanneAU1977 and DrRainbow like this.
  7. That's the ISO shutter speed task.
    Pics that get taken are easily out of focus or come out lighter or darker depending upon the ISO and F Stop is. The higher the f stop the darker the pic, the lower the f stop is the lighter the pic is.
    The F stop i'm referring to is the shutter speed. It goes up to 25 on my DSL Camera and as low as 0.8 on my camera.

DrRainbow likes this.
  8. Depth of field is an awesome thing to learn.
    What it is on about here is the one image that is in focus and the rest of the image is out of focus.
    Here's a couple of pics that hopefully represent depth of field.
    9B20C3EC-CE95-4AE0-8F0F-D327A8E3341A.jpeg 0E538833-3B8F-4AEB-A367-60B0218BA5BF.jpeg

Top one is meant to be in focus but it didn't come out as well as it should.

Gizmo let me take a perfect one of him. The rest of the pic is deliberately out of focus.

DrRainbow likes this.
  9. A couple of others i took around my campus.
    Both are depth of field
    5CFD9D2E-55A0-4D9C-BEFF-389B92D492EF.jpeg 68F07827-C734-4486-BE0C-85E0EA438DF8.jpeg

everything bagel and DrRainbow like this.
  10. That C building is where my class is each week.
    We are right up the top of that building.

Candy Gal and DrRainbow like this.
  11. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Well done.

SuzanneAU1977 and DrRainbow like this.
  12. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Here's an experiment for you. Go back to the wall beside the steps and place your camera three or four inches from the wall. Focus a few feet away. You should get a good shot of the texture of the stone with the near ones out of focus and the farther ones in focus. Use different F stops and let your light meter set the shutter speed. Let us see how it turns out.

Candy Gal and DrRainbow like this.
  13. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Nice pictures Suzanne :)

SuzanneAU1977 likes this.
  14. I will do something like that when i'm back there.
    I must remember not to do things when i'm eating.

15. thanks.

everything bagel and DrRainbow like this.
  16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I taught photography many years ago. We used Pentax K1000s because they required manual settings, no auto mode.
    [​IMG]
    We only did black and white negatives as color needed time and temperature control for development.
    Also did a ton of high contrast stuff on one of these....
    [​IMG]
    That's the exact model I used.​

Flagme15 and DrRainbow like this.
  17. Did that sort of thing in year 10 at school. It was fun.
    But this one is digital photography.

DrRainbow likes this.
  18. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Argus C2 was my first camera with f-stop/shutter options. Eventually moved up to a Nikon F2 that I used until digital came along. Now shoot with a Nikon D5100.

19. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

So he taught you the exposure triangle?
    I hope he has taught you to shoot manual mode, and not auto.
    Also shoot RAW, and not JPEG

DrRainbow likes this.
  20. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

My first SLR was a Minolta, but don't remember the model. I later moved to the K1000. That was a very good camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.