My epiphany of the gods

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by rjhangover, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I'm fed up with all the gods. I don't like a god that tells his followers to go kill anyone that doesn't follow the teachings of Mohammed.
    I don't like a racist god that says Jews are his chosen people, and everyone else is on the level of dogs.
    I don't like a god that wipes out humanity because they aren't living up to his expectations, with floods and earthquakes.
    I don't like a god that is jealous, egotistical, self righteous and vengeful.
    I don't like a god that tells his priests to burn millions at the stake for being heretics.
    I don't like a god that sends people to hell because they don't worship a guy that lived thousands of years ago, who claimed to be his son, and even forsook him on the cross.
    I don't like a god that lets his priests sexually abuse children.
    I don't like a god that that has "in god we trust" on money.
    I don't like a god that created sex, then puts guilt trips on people that engage in it.
    I don't like a god that that created evil, and lets it run ramped since the beginning of time.
    I don't like a god that lets wars be fought over him since the beginning of time.
    I don't think there's not a god, I'm just not buying into any more of that crap. If God sends me to hell for this, then he's sending me there for being what he made me.

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

It is easier to understand that the deities are not real when one comprehends that they mirror men rather than anything divine.

3. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

It's not that god isn't real, it's just that human perception of god aren't real.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

phone home.. :p

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

If man has no perception of him, how can he be real? It is akin to stating that one believes in leprechauns even though men have no real perceptions of them or skewed perceptions born of myth.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Thou shalt put no other gods before me". As Steve Martin would say--"welll,excuuuusse meee!!

Other gods,eh? Attributive knowledge we aren't priveledged to know? Again--excuuuusee meee!!

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

But still.....God likes you.

8. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Anything can exist, no matter what humans perceptions are. Everyone that knows the word "leprechaun" has a perception of them. So leprechauns exist whether or not they are real. According to Science, everything is cause and effect. So there had to be a cause for everything that exists, all the way back to the big bang. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. "Once you realize that something from nothing that is something, makes it easy to wear stripes with plaid."-Einstein.

Also, god doesn't have to be a "he". God can be a she, or a they, or even something we can't perceive.

9. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Until something can be proven to exist, one cannot know that it does exist. I would rather believe it is not real until it can be proven to be real.

Just because someone imagines something to be real does not make it real. It is imagined for a reason. The imagination is a very powerful tool, but something from imagination cannot be made real.

There is a reason why psychiatric wards are full of people who believe in things that cannot be proven to exist.

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Doesn't matter what anyone "believes". The only thing that matters is the truth, and that is real. Just because the Catholic church "believed" the world was flat, didn't make it so. Reality matters, not perceptions of it.

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Reality has yet to show that a higher power exists.

12. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

That's only your perception.

13. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

It would be the truth.

14. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Then why are you an atheist?
    Welcome to agnosticism, my friend.

15. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Because I do believe that no higher being exists. If, however, it was some day somehow proven that a higher being does exist, I would obviously believe in it but most likely deem it undeserving of worship.

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

So basically you are just the same as any other religious person, just you don't believe where they do believe. You don't need proof against any gods and they don't need proof for any gods.

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

If something apparently does not exist, one does not go in search of evidence to prove its existence. However, if one believes in something for which there is no evidence, the extraordinary claim to its existence should be validated with proof that can convince others of its existence. Otherwise, believing in something for which there is no evidence is unreasonable. After all, there are plenty of ideas for which things exists in myth, but for which people obviously do not believe for the sheer absurdity of stating those things are real.

18. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I do agree with you, however when that thing that apparently doesn't exist is believed in by hundreds of millions of people it does perhaps deserve some more thought and research.

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

That would be argumentum ad populum. Just because many people believe in something does not make that something real.

However, I do agree that studying religion and philosophy is not entirely a waste of time. To claim that I, or any scientist, should attempt to prove the existence of something for which there is currently no proof is rather ludicrous. The supernatural does not belong in the realm of science. If by some miracle science accidentally proves the existence of god by means of natural law, however, that would be a completely different matter. It is not as though science should actively seek to prove that supernatural beings exist.

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Oh but it is the task of science to let us understand the world and the universe. And I believe the metaphysical world is just as much part of the universe as is the fysical world. And thus science should not limit itself and always keep an open mind and preferably study every single possible thing that we could possible think of. Too bad we are way too limited to do so.