My DVD Player Crapped Out

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Lucifer Sam, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I can't figure out how to fix the damn thing. I was hoping that maybe someone here could give me a few tips.

All right, here's the story. I was playing a DVD, and for the first forty minutes or so, everything was fine. Then, all of a sudden, the player stopped reading the disc, and I could hear strange clicking noises coming from the player. I couldn't pause, fastforward, or stop the disc. So, I had to turn off the machine. I turned the machine back on, ejected the disc, checked it, but it was perfect. There are no marks on it whatsoever. It's brand new.

So, I cleaned the disc off anyway, put the disc back in, and tried to play it... it wouldn't do it. It just sat there and made those strange clicking noises while it tried to read the disc. I took the disc out, thinking that maybe the disc was just messed up. So, I grabbed another DVD and put it in. I got it to play, and I selected a random scene to view. Well, after maybe five minutes, it happened again.

Feeling a bit frustrated, I took one of those cleaning CD's with the little brushes on it and put it in the player. It couldn't read that either. Then, some how, I got that to work and let it clean the lens. Then, after the cleaning, it started screwing up again.

So I finally grabbed the user manual. I checked the help/troubleshooting section, and I couldn't find any information on this kind of problem. So, I have no idea what I should do now.

The thing is, I've only had the thing for three years, it's not a cheap model, I've always taken very good care of it, and I rarely use it. This shouldn't happen. There is no way this thing should be broken. So, there has to be some way to get it working again. Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you ever had a similar problem?

2. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

Throw it out and start over again. Thats what I had to do with my old one. Something went wrong with the laser and it would have been more expensive to get another one of those than to buy another one.

3. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, before I go and do that, I'm going to contact the manufacturer. Pff, piece of shit electronics...

4. fickdichskkip

fickdichskkip Banned

I highly doubt that you'll be able to fix the problem.

5. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

Good luck with customer service..... I've never had much luck with them

6. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I never understood machines, so can't help ya there, sorry....

7. Children of Bodom

Children of Bodom Senior Member

It could be that the laser just isnt calibrated right. Ive had cd players do that to me alot. I dont know about dvd players, but cd players have a few tiny knobs around the laser on the circuit board and. I would just fuck with those for a while and the machine magically sprang back to life. but who knows. Maybe theres a piece of dirt on the track that the laser follows.

8. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

i hate it when they "crap out"...lol