My compromise for gun control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maccabee, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

But what threat - what unrest?

Who is he afraid of?

Where does this fear come from?

Oh I know there are lots of gun lobbyists out there stocking the fear but is the fear justified and are the consequences of that fear worse than the remedy.

I mean the problem is easy access to guns so how can the solution be to have even more guns in the system?

To take the pressing problem of the moment – if the problem is a virus that spreads through closeness of contact the solution is not to mix with large numbers of other people.

granite45 likes this.
  2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Partly because of the fact that the US is one of the more violent modern nations out there.

As I stated, it's probably the fact that the US is one of the more violent countries. Sure, you may be able to argue that stricter gun laws will reduce violent crime overtime, but that doesn't help the individual living in the bad part of town or simply the individual concerned about being a victim of a mass shooting today.

This is why I'm hesitant of restricting owning or carrying a firearm for protection only to those who expressed an immediate threat to their safety, or what often is the case, the people rich enough to sway the permit issuer to give them the permit.

3. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Sure you can. You can base a system largely on a working model and add or change it to your own specifications. You can buy a suit a have a taylor fit it to your body. Otherwise, if we really can't adopt a model and add our own twist to it, then technically, we must also adopt the specific statute number Switzerland has and label it as such.

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

But is it – I explained before that actually the US is very similar to other richer nations when it comes to general crime, it is only very different in the much higher levels of gun related injury and death because of the ease of access to guns you have in the US.

So the solution for that is to limit the possibility of guns falling into the wrong hands through prudent gun control (see list above) and by lowering the number of guns in the system by discouraging those that have no real need for having a gun from having one.

As said above the ‘murderous American’ argument that this seems to be a yet another version just doesn’t stand up.

Thing is guns are not a good way of tackling crime they just make it more likely that people will be killed or injured with a gun.

You don’t cure a ‘bad part of town’ by bringing more guns into it, such areas are usually like that or get that reputation because of the social situation of the people and the environment gun ownership is going to have no impact on that and could even make things worse if the gun falls into the wrong hands.

And as said the hypothetical dentist and accountant don’t live in a ‘bad part of town’ they live in a quiet neighbourhood where a majority of the people don’t feel the need to own a gun, so my question is why do they feel they need to and should they be encouraging in that desire?

As I say it seems more like a selfish consumerist choice not an actual need and without proper regulation could so easily end up with that gun been in the wrong hands and so be detrimental to public safety.

[edit] I mean Mac do you see below with a gun lobbyists pushing gun ownership based on the fear of things that happen in science fiction movies, is that really a good reason for getting a gun – that you think the accountant or dentist would have a good reason for been fearful and wanting a gun because they watched Mad Max or the Purge movies?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    granite45 likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

But at the fundamental level the Swiss model is based on a militia/conscription system it is the big thing about the system. It is the suit.

Oh yes once you have that suit (some form of militia/conscription system) it can be tailored but you need the suit to begin with.

But what you seem to be suggesting is throwing away everything but the buttons and then saying it is the whole suit, it just doesn’t work.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

But what threat - what unrest? Covid-19 lock down and shortages in supplies, where the fuck you been B?

Who is he afraid of? People who would do him or his family harm stealing his property.

Where does this fear come from? irl- L.A 92', in make believe- 1st Mad Max movie, The Purge movies.

wrat, Orison and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

I say again what threat? Where is the threat?

And again who? What ‘people’ are you talking about

You think this is going to cause riots – why? I mean the 92 riots were basically about racial discrimination in what way would getting a gun be a good way of tackling racial discrimination?

I mean look at what you are saying – you are referencing MOVIES -two works of fiction as the reasons for why people should be fearful, the fear is based on the unreal?

Do you realise how nuts that is?

8. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I'll get back to you later B.

I can only take your twisting, turning and being naive so many minutes of the day.

These gun threads are dead

^ Lol... you'll probably twist this statement around on me too.

Take another vacation, you need it

You still haven't answered my quote bubble question. At least I attempted to give an answer to your shit

wrat likes this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

What 'quote bubble question'

What have i twisted - are you saying you didn't put forward two sci-fi movies as reasons for been frightened and getting a gun? What next Alien, Preditor or Mr Bean LOL

10. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Go back and look.... this thread is dead anyways......it'll give you something to do.

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

I have looked and i'm sorry if i've missed it, can you say where it is, i mean i can't answer something even you don't know where or what it is?

12. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

[​IMG]

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

‘These gun threads are dead’

I’ve had this before from gun lobbyists they say things like ‘these gun debates go nowhere’ or ‘its useless talking about gun control’

What they actually mean is that they don’t want the subject of gun control been discussed because they know they never come out well in them.

I mean so many of the gun lobbyists seem to what to restrict ‘debate’ to simplistic slogans because they know that anything more in-depth reveals the huge cracks and flaws in their arguments.

That is why I praise Mac so much

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

So are you saying you don't know where this supposed question is and are refusing to say what it was?

LOL you can't accuse me of refusing to answer something that you are refusing to present.

15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I found it in less time it took to blow my brains out. Just goes to show you don't read everything a member posts, you just read what you want and cherry pick
    [​IMG]

wrat and WritersPanic like this.
  16. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

It must be frustrating for you, to be such a genius, and to have to constantly deal with lowlifes and morons. I really feel for you.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Pete

So can you tell us where it is then, because i'm beginning to get the feeling that it doesn't exist

18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Bull

So glad you understand LOL

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The question that never was.

Look I’m sorry to have to say this but it seems Pete is a liar, I know, I know it’s a shock to find out like this but there you are, and this coming on from Bull basically calling him a moron, yes I think Pete is incredibly ignorant and ill-informed but I don’t think him a moron that going too far, shame on you Bull.

Anyway I really don’t understand why people think lying helps their case. But I fear that in these days of Trump and Brexit the ignorant and ill-informed don’t seem to care about been lied to so I suppose it follows that they don’t care about lying and been known liars.

So back to gun control

20. Calling people names totally makes your case. It's amazing!

wrat likes this.