Musician's Drug Use

Discussion in 'LSD - Acid Trips' started by Ashevilletime, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ashevilletime

Ashevilletime Member

i wanna know what bands were into which drugs
    obviously psychedelic bands are into psychedic drugs
    but just for starters, does anyone know which drugs zepellin, rhcp, rage agaisnt the machine, primus, sublime, tool and nirvana were doin?
    thanks.

2. misfit4ks

misfit4ks Member

uh who knows, but these i do know.

Sublime - heroin, one of them died from it
    Tool - DMT, Acid, many others prolly

3. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

but just for starters, does anyone know which drugs zepellin, rhcp, rage agaisnt the machine, primus, sublime, tool and nirvana were doin?

Zeppelin - drinking like madmen, heroin, cocaine, lsd, etc.
    RHCP - Insane amounts of Cocaine + Heroin, LSD in the early days, those sleeping pills that get you high, name escapes at the moment, just about everything actually, these dudes were addicted, read Scar Tissue, their old guitarist od'd on heroin
    Primus - I met some dude who smoke DMT with Claypool, probably mostly other psychedelics
    Sublime - psych's, cocaine, heroin - singer od'd on
    tool - probably a lot, lsd too, i would think because of their association with Alex Grey
    Nirvana - lots, and lots of heroin, at least Cobain, thats fact.

Other notorious ones:

Rolling Stones - Heroin, Cocaine, Pills, LSD probably, most likely everything they saw
    The Beatles - Lots of LSD, Heroin, Cocaine, mad shit...
    The Doors - Drinking like fucking fish, Heroin, Cocaine, LSD, Probably every psychedelic under the sun
    Grateful Dead - The Electric Kool Aid Acid Tests took place with them, Cociane, Heroin, etc.
    Pink Floyd - tons of LSD, Heroin, etc.

for starters. i'm not positive, but pretty sure, if im wrong, someone correct me. why is this in the strictly LSD forum?

4. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

virtually all famous musicians have done acid

5. LSDcoatedD0me

LSDcoatedD0me Member

yeaa man ur off on a few.. Pink floyd for one syd barret did a ton of LSD but the rest of the band members and his replacement (David Gilmour) only did it a limited amount of time, and i do not ever remember hearing that they used heroin?

The Grateful Dead- did a ton of LSD in the 60's, drank and did a lot of cocaine in the 70's and 80's while Jerry became a heroin addict on top of all the other drug use.

6. hawaiiankine

hawaiiankine Senior Member

and maybe some not so famous ones too? :eek:

7. y Epitaph x

y Epitaph x Member

n0p

8. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

Ummm ever listen to Comfortably Numb? Because if you have, then I gotta say, people that haven't used Heroin would not come up with a song like that.

Oh, and Motley Crue, they had to be the craziest, along with Guns 'n Roses, doing more Cocaine and Heroin, than most could even dream of. To the point where they got so yay'd out Nikki Sixx flushed like ounces of coke and heroin down the toilet and OD'd like 3 times no joke. Read The Heroin Diaries or Dirt about them.

9. LSDcoatedD0me

LSDcoatedD0me Member

10. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

thats bullshit, like saying Happiness Is A Warm Gun by The Beatles isn't about shooting up. It clearly is, and both John Lennon and Roger Waters didn't want to receive bad press.

trust me man, just a little pin prick = sticking a needle obviously, but you may feel a little sick = throwing up as a result of IVing.

saying its not about heroin is such bullshit, i swear to god, i mean, i can understand if you've never tried it, but to everyone who has, they know the fucking truth including me.

11. White_Horse_Mescalito

White_Horse_Mescalito ""

I don't think Roger Waters was ever a junkie.. no doubt did a few hits of acid back in his younger days

12. prismatism

prismatism loves you

What bands were into drugs...
    The good ones. :)
    I'll try to list some bands that haven't been listed yet...

Scissor Sisters - Lots of acid, probably opium & a basket full of other stuff. They did an amazing cover of Comfortably Numb.
    Modest Mouse - Just about everything. Listed out in The Good Times Are Killing Me.
    The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed - Heroin (duh), probably tried almost everything.
    David Bowie - Was addicted to cocaine, has probably used just about everything.
    Jimi Hendrix - Ha. LSD.
    :p

Most bands that have used drugs make it so apparent either in their music, art, and style, or just by talking about it, that's it's kind of silly to list it all out. Most truly great musicians have used drugs or had drug problems... not that drugs necessarily make you a better musician, but most people who create art do it because they have "the itch", an emptiness that follows them everywhere and is only pacified by intense experiences like music, adventures, and chemicals...

13. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Frank Zappa only drank coffee and smoked cigarettes.

Nuff said.:cool:

ZW

14. March of the Meanies

March of the Meanies Member

Happiness is a Warm Gun is not about heroin.

John mixed three songs he was writing together into one. The first part was from a series of images he picked up while tripping with Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall and Pete Shotton. ("The man in the crowd with multi-colored mirrors on his hobnail boots" was taken from an article he saw of a man who was arrested for having mirrors on his shoes so he could see up girls' skirts) The second part came from Yoko, who he referred to as "Mother" a lot (hence mother superior) The third part was inspired by what John saw in a gun magazine that said "Happiness is a warm gun in your hand" which was a plan on the Peanuts book Happiness is a Warm Puppy.

The second part referenced heroin use in "I need a fix" but the song is certainly not about heroin.

15. March of the Meanies

March of the Meanies Member

Sorry one more.

Do you know how much bad press the Beatles received? I'm sure he wasn't to worried. He was the one who said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus and was shunned by the Pope...member?

16. lou_reed

lou_reed Member

Frank Zappa was one badass motherfucker. Personally i think its a bit hypocritical of him to refer to people on drugs as "assholes in action" because at the end of the day nicotine and caffeine are drugs too. Some people just have it in them to come up with good art without drugs and others don't. I don't think much of what i've written so far is very drug induced but lets see what the future holds. BUT anyone who can release 66 albums in 30 years can say whatever the fuck they want about drugs and still have my respect :cheers2:
    Oh and i never heard of anyone in pink floyd using heroin. Could be wrong though who knows what the fuck they did. Point is they came up with some otherwordly music which i don't think anyone will ever be able to replicate. In fact I just remembered something. If any of you have seen live at pompeii youll recall the bit where gilmour says " people think of us as a very drug oriented band. Ofcourse we're not.. you can trust us." hahaha nice one dave.

17. icecreampheonix

icecreampheonix Member

The Beatles definitely never did heroine. That's a fact.

I think a better question for the OP to ask, is what drugs didn't those bands do?

18. lou_reed

lou_reed Member

19. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

A few years ago, McCartney admitted to trying heroin by accident once. It was handed to him at a party and he took a hit thinking it was something else. Lennon was on heroin for a while toward the end of the Beatles' career. Quitting it is was the song Cold Turkey is about. It's public knowledge. No one knows if HIAWG is about heroin or not. Who knows, and it doesn't really matter. He and Yoko insist they never injected heroin, and they have no reason to lie about it.

It's sad that I know all of this, but here is the lowdown:

The Beatles
    Lennon - drank a whole lot in the early Beatles years and in the early 70's - did plenty of uppers too - smoked a lot of weed in the Beatles middle period and near the end of his life - did tons of LSD with George in 67-68 - I know he did coke sometimes but I don't know how much. Had the heroin phase with Yoko.

McCartney - drank in the early years and moved on to pot, which he smoked a LOT of from the mid 60's until the present day. He is one of the most "underrated" potheads of all time. Did coke during Sgt. Pepper and in the 70's. Only did LSD a small handful of times.

George - smoked weed and did a ton of LSD with John. He saw a bunch of burnouts on LSD at the Haight and quit LSD forever in 68 or 69.

Ringo - like Paul, only dosed a few times. He drank a lot and did a lot of coke in the 70's.

Zeppelin:
    Page - drinking, coke, pot, some psychedelics, and in the late 70's early 80s, was a serious heroin addict
    Plant - pot, booze, coke, some quaaludes, some psychedelics. Partied but wasn't an addict like a lot of the others
    JPJ - the most moderate - booze, coke, pot
    Bonham - lots and lots of everything

As people have said, Floyd didn't do that many drugs. They were pretty lame actually, except for Barrett. Very boring people in general (not that partying is required for someone to be interesting). Barrett was the only one who had more than a few LSD experiences. I think Mason and/or Wright had a coke problem later.

The Stones did your typical stuff, with Keith being significant in his coke/heroin intake and Ron Wood being an alcoholic to this day. They tripped some, but I don't think very much.

A friend of mine who is a Nirvana expert told me recently that Kurt did a lot of LSD in HS. I'm not sure how well-documented it is, but it wouldn't surprise me. He was a weird guy. Obviously he was into opiates later on.

Hendrix did pretty much everything. Not sure if he ever did (much) coke. It's controversial whether he did heroin or not. There was some found in his luggage once, but he said it was someone else's. He definitely smoked a lot of weed, did lots of L, and drank heavily. Barbiturates killed him, so obviously he did some pills, too.

Morrison ate a lot of LSD before the Doors and in the year Doors years, but he turned mostly to drinking later.

Keep in mind that no one knows this stuff for sure. A lot of it is undoubtedly exaggerated, while there are probably other musicians who have done large amounts of various drugs that no one would have guessed.