Music

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Penny, May 11, 2004.

1. moonydancer

moonydancer Member

ooooh!!!!forgot

Afro CELT
    Massive Attack
    Bjork
    Tricky
    Wide Open Cage
    Dan the Automator

2. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Here the link to the old Planet Gong forum:

http://www.hipforums.com/forum-1223.html

Here are some more bands I love, that I didn't put in my TOP 10 (in absolutely no order!):

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iggy And The Stooges, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Serge Gainsbourg, The Moody Blues, The Zombies, Procol Harum, Cream, The Beach Boys, The Lovin' Spoonful, Love, Spirit, Traffic, CCR, CSN, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Donovan, The Mamas And The Papas, The Fairport Convention, The Yardbirds, Otis Redding, Simon & Garfunkel,The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, The 13th Floor Elevators, Frank Zappa, Santana, Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After, Todd Rundgren, Roxy Music, Talking Heads,Television, Gong, Can, Soft Machine, Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary, Miles Davis, King Crimson, Genesis (first period with Peter Gabriel), Jethro Tull, Yes, Supertramp, Caravan, The Clash, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, Televison, R.E.M., Bjork, Tool, Radiohead, Oasis, Muse, Blur, Belle And Sebastian, Neutral Milk Hotel, Olivia Tremor Control, The Strokes, Mildlake, Keren Ann, Sigur Ros... (God there must be more!!!! Just can't think of them right now...)

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Just remembered The Pixies! :p

4. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

Thankyou penny! i thought no body would mention the wonderfully beautiful belle and sebastian:)
    As for my list, i dont have time right now (need to revise) but i shall endeavour to do it tomorrow.. just wanted to do a little belle and seb tribute!

5. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

OH!!!! Yeah, Belle & Sebastian are awesome, I love them so very much :) Glad you're a fan too! But I'm not surprised since you're a Nick Drake fan as well! Belle & Sebastian remind me a lot of Nick -

6. Ellis

Ellis Member

I like very different kinds of music, from Jazz to '70s Punk. Some of my favorite bands are:

The Jam, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, The Doors, TheWho, The Police, Jeff Buckley, Tim Buckley, The Pixies, Bob Dylan, The Lovin' Spoonfull, Canned Heat, Yardbirds, Eddie Cochran, Chet Baker, Charlie Parker, Robert Johnson, Beatles, Roling stones, Bob Dylan, Donovan, Fleetwood Mac, The Free, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sex Pistols, The Levellers, Jackson Brown,
    Sham69, Ramones, The Clash, UK Subs, Subhumans, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, AC/DC, The Animals, The Zombies, The Easybeats, Howlin' Wolf,...
    And many, many more.

[​IMG]

7. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I was listening to a Paul Wellar album yesterday and wondered why The Jam/Wellar never seem to make my lists. He is a pretty great songwriter and The Jam at the time were shit hot.

Something else I wondered is how big did The Jam actually get in Europe?

(Nevermind The Style Council, we all make mistakes ;))

8. tulip

tulip Member

I think every band I've ever loved (apart from a few Finnish ones...) have been mentioned in this thread... And there's also stuff I have never heard of and now I will go and find out...

You people ROCK!

oh and an extra special YAY! to the guy who mentioned Wigwam!!! :cool:

~lovetulip.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, i like a lot, but some of the music that belong to my favourites are:

Folk and folk-rock like Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Steeleye Span, the Pentangle, Magna Carta (I love english folk & folk rock, can't help it [​IMG])
    Music like Can, Ozric Tentacles, Chocolate Watch Band, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Frank Zappa and a lot of psych stuff.
    I like drum 'n bass and trip hop as well, some of my favourites: Red Snapper, Crystal Method, Lunatic Calm, Amon Tobin and so on..
    Black Sabbath is also one of my favourite bands for a long time, and the now days bands that are inspired by seventies bands like Black Sabbath, bands like Orange Goblin, Sixty Watt Shaman, Kyuss, Spiritual Beggars and so on.

I like to listen from time to blues, reggae music and some jazz as well.
    other bands: Miles Davis, Manu Chao, Santana, Yardbirds, Steppenwolf, Incredible String band, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull, Grand Funk Railroad, 13th Floor Elevators and the list goes on and on. I'm forgetting a lot but you get an impression now i think.

Of course i like bands like the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and stuff very much as well.

For people who are looking for good music from this time: check out the stuff by the Liquid Sound Company, i really recommend that to the psych lovers here!
    Also the new Masters of Reality album is worth to check out. :)

10. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

my faves
    jimi hendrix
    bjork
    radiohead
    dr.octagon
    dj shadow
    soundgarden
    i rly love jodeci..'freakin u' i love the words, lol
    iv grown up with reggae, so i hav2 go bak 2 my roots and say bob marley aswel

11. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

some of my favourites are;

the flaming lips
    massive attack
    radiohead
    pink floyd
    tankus the henge
    alishas attic!!
    smashing pumpkins
    aqualung
    yfriday
    damien rice
    delirious
    eva cassidy
    led zeppelin

12. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I love the Flaming Lips - heard of their Zaireeka album? That album is just... amazing... 4 cds to play simultanously and it gives such a great music, it's genius! :)

13. VillaVillekulla

VillaVillekulla Member

*Bikini Kill
    *Team Dresch
    *The International Noise Conspiracy
    *Millencollin
    *AIR
    *Morcheeba
    *France Gall (haha...canĀ“t do anything about it..)
    *2raumwohnung
    *Wir Sind Helden
    *kent
    *Cat Power
    *Ani Difranco
    *Azure Ray
    ......etc.......

14. Anjee

Anjee Member

I LOVE many different styles and artists,

60s
    The Doors
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Joan Baez
    Aretha Franklin
    Bob Dylan
    The Mamas and the Papas (California Dreamin is my absolute No. 1)
    The Beatles

Jazz
    Koop.
    St. Germain
    Mojo
    (also psychedelic jazz)

Also GOA and psychedelic trance
    Axon Ishtar
    Hallucinogen
    GMS

Reggae and Ska
    The Busters
    Bob Marley
    The Skatalites

and many more... ;)

15. Anjee

Anjee Member

forgot
    MASSIVE ATTACK (best life performance EVER)

16. Claire

Claire Senior Member

I love music too:)

My favourite new finds are Devendra Banhart and The Stands.

Love Clairexxx

17. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

Does bob hund still exist, Shadowplay?

They are lovely.

18. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

"Zaireeka" certainly is genius! I've only heard it twice, only having one CD player at hand, first time my friend Chris had to come equipped with three of his own, bless! Just Friday gone though I was round his and it was all much easier to get started.

There really is something about it, more than just the volume factor of having four machines on the go, that makes it that bit more emotional than your average album. I gather there's a story and remember something about the guy in "Driving to Work in the Year 2025" pretending to be invisable because of his social anxiety. You feel so worried for him! You also feel bloody terrified for your own safety in "The Big Ol' Bug is the New Baby Now". And I think it must have been "How Will We Know?" which was so lovely I cracked up laughing.

It's great how you can play each album on it's own merit too. Taking Chris's word for this but apparently all four are pretty decent. And how technically you never hear the same album twice. It's just fantastic, I've said it before and still believe- most groundbreaking album of the 90's.

Another cool thing to do but you'll need a lot more luck, is just play any old three or four albums. Three's probably best. Friday we went for...

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
    Air - Moon Safari
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Gomez - Bring It On

It wasn't as smashing as first time where I think we used again 'Pet Sounds' (Decided on Friday that this album will always work!), 'Radiator' by Super Furry Animals and 'Hot Shots II' by The Beta Band. Give it a try :D

19. WatchinUfromtheBridg

WatchinUfromtheBridg Member

Waooowww yeahhh ...why when there's somebody who like good music...He's livin' beyond the Atlantic or even in United Kingdom the rest of the world seems to find his pleasure in mediocrity ...

The Byrds (specially from 65 to 68) the Notorious byrd brother can even make travel Bush's head into the stratosfer
    The Pink Floyd
    Free
    The Who
    The Jefferson Airplane
    Hawkwind (specially 69-75) great band ...born specially for your psychedelic guilty pleasure!
    The Cream ....the greatest fight inside a band
    The Mama's and the Papa's ...the 1st album a real romantic pleasure to my ears
    The Pretty things Parachute's a masterpiece !

20. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Indeed they do! Although they're "on a break" right now, as they're trying to make it abroad under the name Bergman Rock. They released an album in English (all new material, no translated bob hund songs) earlier this year and went on a shorter tour, but I'm not sure how it all went. The music is ok, you can still hear it's bob hund, but that special something which made bob hund so good is hard to find in the English songs. After all, one of the most charming things about the band was the singer's Skane dialect, which has now turned into a plain Swedish accent when singing in English. Hopefully, they'll be back with a new album in Swedish soon! I miss them at the festivals this year. It had almost become a part of summer for me to see bob hund, but I suppose it'll take a while before that happens again.

peace,
    -Pat