Music that you just DON'T 'get'?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Adamskiffle, Nov 22, 2019.

1. onceburned

onceburned Banned

Hollywood country is more like the old school rock n roll

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That peak at like 3 or 4 am where everyone is on a transcendent level with quality trance, house, or techno sets seemed to be completely missing with Dubstep sets.

I could dance to it somewhat... Outside of tempo, it's not that different than DnB but it's abrasive in a way that half the time, I didn't really care to dance. Dnb fills that synocapted dance void vibe for me and I don't even mind when they throw in dubstep interludes here and there but I can't do whole sets of Dubstep.

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I never liked rap music though I tried. I was never really exposed to it until I joined the Army in 1987 and it seems to have gotten worse since then. And then there is today's music, Taylor Swift and all. I don't know what it is called but I hate it. And then there is country music. I was never a fan but my dad was so I got to listen to my share of it growing up. I wouldn't have thought it possible but it has gotten exponentially worse.

4. Bands. Sports. Hear me out: sportsbands.

5. Even better: bandsports.

6. Everything is manufactured but genius.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Celtic music

8. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Never say never !

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That was a bit better than the traditional Celtic music I've heard

Mallyboppa likes this.
  10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin and such.

But I can find value in most kinds of music, except the really commercial stuff that is being churned out.

Oh... and soundcloud rappers. I don't get that shit at all.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Really? I think it's a musician thing. That's the starting block, @Pressed_Rat. It's the place where you can upload your stupid demo. ;)

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't understand noisy screaming music. It's mostly the noise that I don't like. I like loud music, and I don't mind occasional screaming, but there is a certain type of song that I just can't stand--I'll have to find an example, hang on.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

20191201_071918.jpg giphy-8.gif

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

16. Rap music..I can't stand that shit..

Mysteron and MeAgain like this.
  17. Devan Rojek

Devan Rojek Senior Member

Genre-wise, I don't think I necessarily dislike any, unless I have yet to come across something that truly doesn't agree with me. What has gotten old really really fast to my ears is the type of singing style that so many of today's singers have adapted; I'm talking about the kind of singers who typically belong in the mainstream music, indie pop, that sort of stuff. I'm constantly hearing these "different" singers sounding either like Adele, or Kate Nash, or both, and the sheer number of singers who are doing this today is ridiculoous. It's this weird layer that these singers put on their voices, and you hear this everywhere now! I'm sure you'll know what I', talking about if you hear it. I think part of it is due to this rising popularity of whispering type singing. I mean, you put like ten of these singers up there and you won't be able to tell which one's which. If there were like just a few Kate Nashes and a few Adeles, then it wouldn't be as bad. But there are hundreds of them sounding virtually identical to other another these days.

Back in the old days, even the pop scene had more unique sounding singers. Put singers like Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper, Sarah McLachlan, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Annie Lennox, all up on the same stage and you could tell apart which one was which. A lot of the more modern mainstream stuff tend not to focus on the original sounding singing styles. Instead of really putting forth the uniqueness of their true voices, a lot of the modern singers are now all about whispering and putting some weird muffly layer to their voice, or do this Adele-esque twang to an excess. All of which can mask the true unique colour of their voice, while they can be excellent techniques when sounding like other singers who also sing in those styles. The result, though, in an unfortunate phenomenon where virtually every singer you hear featured on your favourite TV show sounding the same.

Hmm, maybe that's why I like good metal singers so much, lol.

ncbumpkin likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

there is a song on satellite that is currently number one on dance charts and I can't figure out why people like it that much. I think I've heard the main melody before. So it might be a cover of something else. I mean, I guess that's catchy, but I don't get it.

19. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

There are 2 Genres of music I cant stand . The first one is Rap . For me its not music anyway its more like poetry which I don't like either .

The other type is Ska music. This may seem strange to some as I do like 60s Beat, Northern Soul, Soul ,Motown and Reggae of which Ska has been derived from . I just think its a unhappy marriage of those music types and the Ska dance is just plain daft IMO.

20. soulcompromise

Have you heard Reel Big Fish do it? They have a track called "Sell Out" that I like about making money in the music industry.

That, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are a viable force in alternative music. That they're a ska band seems secondary. Very powerful stuff, imo.

Tags: