Music that’s getting you excited about music these days.

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by fem_fatale, Jan 29, 2019.

1. God, I hate country rap. I hate how everything is being homogenized into one grotesque sound. There seriously is hip-hop in country. I HAVE to listen to the radio, so I know this. And there are rock songs that could easily be on the country station.

I keep hearing about country story telling, but it's all like, one or two stories. I'm not seeing how there's real storytelling in country. It's not like you hear something on par with Huckleberry Finn or something. Gah!

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well if you're music knowledge comes from the radio then that's your problem, country music on the radio aren't really story telling they're just bunch of goofs swigging bourbon doing burnouts in a paddock, that's what mainstream country is these days. Flick on the country music channel and all I see are blonde chicks flashing their gear around, that ain't country to me. It's all a polished sound with edited vocals. The stuff I listen to is raw and quite frankly, their voices aren't that great, but that's not what it's about because passion and emotion easily outweigh polished vocals for me.

You need to actively find the good ones. I could point you in a direction but I don't think you'd take it all that seriously, nor appreciate it for what it's worth and how good it could be because I think your mind is already closed on the subject.

When you find the right country music it speaks to you, that's what it does for me. It chokes me up because I can feel and experience it. Nobody feels and experiences anything on mainstream television or radio. No one's out there in hotels every night living the dream with new hot women and stacks of cash at the clubs having a good time. I don't know how that speaks to anyone, but whatever, they can dream lol.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Country Rap :tonguewink:

Irminsul likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thanks, you pretty much just proved my point.

Each of those, you can count album sales in the thousands

If one looks at the metal album sales for last year, the top sellers are bands like Metallica, Five finger death punch, Perfect Circle old farts that have been around forever, and even then only unit sales around the 100,000 mark

Not saying those bands are shit, but they are just not getting enough sales, which flows on to not enough people bothering to go to concerts

Metal is still dead, its been this way for a good 20 years now

McFuddy likes this.
  5. . . . will have to think about this
    (so so many women testifying out there)

6. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

You’re only counting albums sold in the US.

7. What do you mean

8. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Maybe these days the amount of plays on the most significant streaming services should also be taken into account if we gonna look at it like that.

Seems to me though that metal is not so much dead (like punk), but segregated into certain niche genres. There are no new bands like Metallica or Slayer (which suits me btw :p ), well.. there likely are, but not in the sense of record sales and overall popularity. There seem to be quite a few thriving subgenres that differ greatly in what they're trying to convey, how they wanna sound, etc. If none of these current subgenres appeal to a 90s metalfan metal may seem dead. I also would proclaim it dead if the female fronted stuff you generally share would be the best thing happening in metal. Not trying to insult just to be clear, but it doesn't interest me or appeal to me in any way. Which says more about what i (don't) care for and want in metal, than something about this band and its sound in all objectivity. But yeah, if this was metal today i would be out. Happily it's only one aspect of metal today.

10. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

@Asmodean thats fine. It’s totally subjective. I prefer female voices .
    Metal is such a diverse genre we both be hardcore metal heads, and actually have completely different taste.
    Metal will never be dead, and hopefully it’ll never be as popular as the music we get on the radio in the US. I’m perfectly happy to go see my favorite bands in small clubs instead of giant arenas.
    Whenever a metal band hits the big time, like Metallica did with theBlack album, it seems like they’re not really metal anymore, but kinda hard rock.even Tool isn’t what they used to be.

11. mcme

mcme lurker

I keep hearing that Hell Yeah has enough stuff recorded from before Vinnie Paul's passing and are going to be releasing a sixth album. I'm looking forward to hearing their somewhat unique sounds.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My problem with metal is it all sounds the same to me these days I can pick when riffs and solos will happen and I can even make the noises with my mouth during a song I've only just heard because I find it all too predictable and the stuff that's isn't, like progressive metal is shit anyway.

I'm happy my music taste is very diverse I can pretty much listen to any genre but I don't like all music within that certain genre.

Tbh I haven't checked out any new metal for a few years now so I'm probably out of the loop a bit. Stopped going out every other week to shows too as they've been less enjoyable over time.

13. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I’ve seen this band twice as an opening act. This new single is, in my opinion their best song to date.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Never been a huge fan of female vocalists. I enjoy Leaves Eyes.. That's about it I guess. Nahh prefer my metal aggressive and masculine.

15. Asmodean

Raw and unbridled outbursts of energy, freedom and/or (often unorthodox) ideas. That's what I always appreciated and looked for in metal. It could have an agressive inclanation, or even a romantic one, or both :-D It can go in many directions really.

16. Asmodean

17. Asmodean

18. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

This album just came out today. I’m very excited as Within Temptation is one of my favorite bands!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  19. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

This is how covers should be done.

Happyme and jmadre like this.
  20. AstroShark

AstroShark Member