Music that’s getting you excited about music these days.

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by fem_fatale, Jan 29, 2019.

1. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I recently started listening to this band, Jinjer, from the Ukraine . It’s not a style I typically like, but there is just something about them.
    I’m not sure if it’s the funky, bass heaviness or the singers amazing ability to isolate two completely different vocal styles.

Courtney Green likes this.
  2. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

3. I don't get how one is supposed to be able to relate to music like Jinjer. Like, maybe if you're bipolar or something. I'm just supposed to be calmly appreciating a mountain setting and then suddenly become filled with angst and rage or something. I don't get it. I've seriously always just been curious about the mindset that gets into that kind of screaming (?) vocal. Or is that growling? I don't know. Is it because you're enraged? Seriously...like, under what conditions would that song really speak to me? Granted, I can't understand what she's saying anyway. Maybe it would be better if I knew the lyrics. Maybe if I was really mad at someone? I just don't get it. Do people drive around and listen to that and once the screaming starts they think about something that is really wrong in their lives, and that's how they relate to it? Is it rebellious?

No music is getting me particularly excited. It's kind of hard for me to imagine that a band will ever excite me again.

4. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Why can’t you just give your opinion without being insulting to people who actually like it?

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:thumbs up:

I'm at this point that im not really into actively exploring new stuff where it comes to metal. There's a lot from past decades that I enjoy more. This doesn't mean there isn't anything worthwile being made of course ;) but in my fav subgenres I'm sooner tired of new bands and new stuff these days than the (for me) established classics. Of which i have a lot lol. From the 80s until 2010s.
    If I would share something here its gonna be more of the same id share in other metal threads... because I'm mostly interested in new metal that does exactly what I already love in my fav subgenres

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Okay I dont normally like the growly vocals but I gotta give her props for being a female who can do that. holy shite

fem_fatale likes this.
  7. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I don’t normally like it either. I didn’t even like this the first time I heard it, but I think she uses it well.

8. How was I insulting anybody? I was trying to make it as clear as possible that I am seriously curious as to the conditions under which that kind of music speaks to a person. Maybe there's just a rage that exists in some people that is absent in me. I'm just trying to understand. Like, is it cathartic? When I hear it, it just strikes me as kind of humorous, because I can't imagine that level of rage.

But yeah, props to her. I guess it is an ability.

9. Asmodean

This could be a factor. Are you also talking about music that used to get you really excited? Btw: if i only look from my own perspective i would not get anything about other peoples very different taste either, which also counts for the shared song in the OP. But fem_fatale did elaborate on what she digs in it, and I happily also know other folks who are into bands like Within temptation to name another example, so yeah, sometimes it is about acknowledging that although we all listen to metal, the 3 posting in this thread so far do so with entirely diff associations, preferences etc. My fav metal from the last decades has shrieking growling black metal vocals. But im terribly picky on growling vocals. Someone not into it at all might wonder wtf is he on about: its all growling to me.
    I can also really enjoy a mix of clean vocals and good growling but here as well: terribly selective and most of the time it isn't to my liking. It can roughly be put like this: death metal grunting: meh.. black metal shrieking: yay!

10. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

That my friend is insulting.

To answer your question. I’m not sure. I typically have a fairly strong dislike of growling vocals. I just happen to like this particular band. Especially if I’m working out or running.

11. Asmodean

This is why I love Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. But at the same time am indifferent about Arch Enemy

12. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Yeah. Arch Enemy I don’t understand. They have a huge following though.

13. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I know Tarja isn’t for everyone, but she’s one of my personal favorites. I picked this at random from her recently released live dvd.

14. Asmodean

I used to have Nightwish's first 2 albums and saw them live around the time they released them too.

15. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

That’s pretty cool. I love early nightwish, but I actually prefer Tarja solo.
    I’ve seen nightwish three times with their current singer, Floor .

16. mike1269

mike1269 Members

i havent really heard anything new but i still love cannibal corpse

17. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

This woman has a great voice .

18. I don't even know what's supposed to be exciting about music anymore. Sometimes a song will really move me, but I wouldn't say that's excitement so much as deep feeling. Excitement seems to revolve around other people for me. Like we're all getting excited. But I don't trust people anymore, and I really don't believe in music as a vehicle for social change. Everyone is just childish.

You read too much into it. I have always just been curious as to why people like that growling. I suppose it takes a certain talent that you might think is cool, but I still don't understand it as a means of evoking emotion. Or maybe it's a way of shutting out emotion. Or shutting out compulsive overthinking or something. Like I say, I'm fairly open-minded and it takes all kinds. Sometimes I will jest, but I understand that what works for me doesn't work for everyone else and vice versa.

It's funny... I've been toying with the idea of just being into random 80's pop songs. Like, anymore, I'd just as soon listen to Careless Whisper as any contemporary rock song. Or Heaven is a Place on Earth, things like that. I used to be heavily into punk. But I kind of gave up on that scene, too, after they all turned out to be a bunch of dicks. I think I'll just start listening to Bryan Adams and Chicago and call it a day.

19. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

You should try some classical music. I find it very pleasant to just relax with classical piano or guitar.

20. mike1269

mike1269 Members

absolutely i love the sound of a violin