Music and meditation

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by ghost of rat, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

Im getting into meditation and have done it a few times now, andd each time ive done it with music. I find music relaxes me more. I put on some minimalistic, slow, ambient and i drift around in my thoughts- sometimes letting the music carry me away and sometimes forgetting the music and thinking about stuff. I Find if i concentrate on the music then I dont think as much, wheras if there was no music I would just continualy think.
    So what i am asking is this. Does anybody else listen to music while they meditate?, and how is meditation differnt if there is no music- is it harder? Also what other methods do you use to assist you in meditation?

2. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

i find that music is distracting when meditating.

but i guess it depends on what type of meditation you are using

3. Loveyellowandgreen

Loveyellowandgreen Member

You ask does anybody else listen to music while they meditate?, and how is meditation differnt if there is no music- is it harder?
    Well, i tried to meditate with music and I wouldn't say it was great. I think it may depend on your concentration and experience in medetation.
    P.S. Do you work on you mind?

4. TeknoShaman

TeknoShaman Member

Anugama has the only music I can use while meditating. It occupies my mind when sitting in silence does not.

5. ghost of rat

What different types are there. I have read about different types but got a bit confused. Ive been trying traditional buddhist meditation- lotus position, calming of the mind etc. I am also doing tai chi which I must say to be very rewarding and I recomend it as a stepping stone towards more intense meditation.

6. stalk

stalk Banned

I play sitar.
    Playing it IS a meditation.
    om

7. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I use the music of bird's songs as the background to my meditation, as that I am living in a tent for the summer and have no electricity or a cd player.

Peace and love

8. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

do a google search. i personally use zazen-just sitting-and stilling the mind sometimes. some people find that clearing the mind isn't very easy or conductive to what they are trying to accomplish. so, instead of clearing the mind, some recite a mantra or repeat a phrase or something with meaning, contemplating what they are saying.

look up Transcendental Meditation (TM). It's very easy to learn and utilize.

I also like to use cannabis for meditation sometimes. it may not be meditation in the traditional sense, but i feel that viewing things from a different perspective or state of mind can reveal things to us that we wouldn't normally see. that is the point of meditation for me, to realize things i would not have otherwise.

there are many different types of 'meditation', and none will serve you any better or worse than the others, find what feels right.

ask yourself what you want to accomplish through meditation. start from there.

9. ghost of rat

Cool, thanks for the advice.

10. whoisbrian

whoisbrian Member

I feel they are two completely different forms of meditation. I've only meditated in silence once, it's very hard for me to clear my mind, I usually spin out of control with my thoughts and end up in a bad mood. With music, it feels more like a journey. I meditate and let the music guide my feelings, my movements, my thoughts, etc... I really enjoy meditating to Mogwai, Summer At Shatter Creek, and Do Make Say Think. Slow/experimental/abstract music works best with meditating to music.

My ideas on meditation are probably different than all of yours, I got basic idea of what meditation was, sort of a natural inhibition to just do it and let myself form my own way of meditating. Books and things of that nature can't really teach you how to meditate, everyone's different.

11. raynebowz

raynebowz Member

It really does all depend on what kind of meditation you are doing. Sometimes some soothing, quiet music is helpful though.

12. mantiri

mantiri Member

I like to meditate to Enigma and Gergorian Chants

13. Frog_On_Ice

Frog_On_Ice Watercolor Paradise

Music I find is great for allivating my mind and using as an aid in taking me on a journey. I find I can get to the same places that my friends get with weed without it, I've found in the 6 years or so I've been meditating its been an amazing part of my life, I enjoy it alot :) Each to their own whatever works for you and makes you happy is the most important thing, peace and love everyone! :)

14. haru19

haru19 Banned

music is distracting when i meditate but it might depend on what kind of meditation you are doing

15. keli36keli47

keli36keli47 Guest

I think everyone is different. Some like music in the background and some don't. Everyone's mind works differently so keep searching to find what is right for you. I found music distracted me but playing binaural beats with headphones on actually helped me. I've started a blog around this and here is an explanation of binaural beats if you are interested. Good luck!

16. Marina_J

Marina_J Member

Meditation and music cannot be separated. Truly inspired music springs out of the heart or the soul. It is the language of the soul and it communicates itself directly with the heart and soul. A truly inspiring music is almost a substitute for meditation. Like meditation it transports you to another world. The only difference is that while you have to make conscious effort to arrive at a state of meditation, the inspirational music just carries you off on its wings. It focuses your diffused thoughts at one point which is its central theme. In case the theme of the vocal music coincides with that of your meditation, you are doubly blessed.

17. MeditationMan12

MeditationMan12 Member

Wow, that pretty much sums up what I was gonna say on the topic, thanks. I'm going to look into binaural beats, I've been hearing a lot about that. I can't stand music while I meditate, but that's just me.

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Once you can transform the sound of a jackhammer into blissful music in your head, you're ready for advanced meditation...

19. MeditationMan12

MeditationMan12 Member

That has to be an awesome milestone to reach. I was able to meditate while no one knew I was meditating before. They were cracking jokes amongst themselves, that I would've normally laughed at, and I could hear them, however I felt so far removed mentally, that I didn't even experience an urge to laugh.

20. Marina_J

Marina_J Member

Music has and also is the key to unlock the Heart-Door of the Supreme. Music is the inner or universal language of God. Meditation and music cannot be separated. Listen to the music, open your mind and visualize your body, mind and spirit relaxing. You'll find that you achieve the same kind of relaxation response, but experience it in a different environment. Soon, you will learn to achieve a meditative state with only the sounds around you.