Mushrooms and SSRI's

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by bobfirechief, May 14, 2004.

1. bobfirechief

bobfirechief Member

Alright , I now that you're not supposed to take mushrooms with MAOI's but how about SSRI's ?

I have friend who is currently taking Zoloft and she would like to eat some mushies , anyone know if this is a good idea ?

2. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

It is a common practice to take MAOIs to intensify a mushroom trip. I think it is SSRIs that you are not supposed to do if you are going to trip, not because of any bad interaction, but because SSRIs prevent you from tripping.

3. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

So yeah, it's not as bad as some, but I would say that you buddy should stay off the zoloft for 24 hours before tripping.

4. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

dude , stop takein the med at least 3 days before you trip.otherwise yuo might be wasteing shrooms.

5. eat_some_LSD

eat_some_LSD Senior Member

And what is the reason she's taking them?

SSRI's take a loooong time to become active in the brain, and besides the fact that she's probably on anti-depressants would make me say...

No.

6. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

ok your all full of shit cause i tripped harder on mushrooms when i was on 200mg zoloft daily than i did 3 months after i stopped taking the zoloft and it had left my system.

now, im not saying SSRI's increase a trip, or that it is even a good idea, but i know from first hand experience that it does not kill the trip. And i trust erowid a lot, believe me, but i trust my own first hand experiences more.

7. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

On SSRI's you need a larger dose of 'shrooms. It's belived action is contrary to the action of hallucenogenics.

Stop taking them 24 hours before tripping, but no sooner than that, as abrupt stoppage can have bad effects.

8. sag aloo

sag aloo Member

24hrs may not help - many people hav found they need 2 be off antidepressants for 2-4 weeks before they can trip proper - trying 2 trips on ssri's is generally crap bit like ssri's full stop

9. I_Am_A_Robot

I_Am_A_Robot Member

yea im on zoloft and i could trip and i tried both times with 2 grams or mayeb once with almost an eigth

10. gypsy_laurel

gypsy_laurel Member

SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) do what they say, they block the reuptake of serotinin. Hallucinogenic drugs chemically resemble serotonin and stimulate serotonin type receptors at innappropriate times or for longer that usual durations. So the combination of both could produce a greater effect or no effect at all depending on the dosage of the SSRI.

Also, a SSRI has chemical effects within hours of taking the drug, it is just that the behavioral effects are not seen for 2 or 3 weeks. That is why you have to take the drug for such a long time to start to feel anything. Why this is, I don't know.

11. gypsy_laurel

gypsy_laurel Member

Sorry about the seriously geeky responce. I do a lot of research concerning the effects of drugs.

12. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Never apologise for conveying Knowledge again!

However, I believe LSD (at least) stimulates serotonin reuptake- the opposite effects of SSRI's. But this thinking may be outdated.

My own personal experience was once with acid and a couple times with 'shrooms while on an 6 month experimental pain treatment with zoloft and neurontin. It didn't work, and the effects of both drugs were much inhibited.

13. sag aloo

sag aloo Member

In a nutshell; MAOI's send the trip wild, SSRI's make it fucking crap

14. sag aloo

sag aloo Member

also it usual takes 2-4 weeks off of antidepressants b4 u trip proper again

15. MountainDog

MountainDog Member

:mad: .... I take Paxil and I wasted a $50.00 sack of shrooms over Memorial Day weekend - did nothing for me.

MountainDog