Muscle building

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by StonerBill, Jan 25, 2005.

1. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

I want to build muscle and muscle definition a bit (not like body builders, just to like a normal level) caus my arms are scrawny and while ive not got much fat anywhere on my body, ive not got heaps of definition either)

what are the best dietry tips, simples excersises, and results that id expect to achieve, assuming i put in substantial effort (but not all my time), to grow muscle and muscle definition.

While my arms are scrawny i really only want to focus on growing physical muscle, and not necessarily muscle strength or my stamina at the moment.

If its a common question here then jsut refer me to a good source of info

thanks a lot to those who can help!

2. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

every day i get less healthy! help me!

3. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

is not health the right forum to put this in?

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yer i tried 5 kilo weights, doing as many different repetitions of as many different muscle groups as i could and id work out until i couldnt move the muscle anymore, physically. then id havea rest and do it again about 10 mins later, but less reps were possible of course.. but i dont know why i stopped.. i only did this for about a week or two.. i think my stepbro took his weights back haha thats probably the reason

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

The best dietary advice I can give you is this: (mostly advice from my personal trainer)

• Replace your carbohydrate intake with whole grains
    • Carbohydrates will provide your body with necessary energy for performance. Therefore, eating a meal that consists of carbs is recomended before your workout.
    • When you breakdown the muscles with weight training and the tissue is rebuilt stronger, the body uses more proteins. Eating a meal that consists of protein after your workout will replenish your intake.

6. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

Make sure you get enough protein, try some protein powder or something. For serious muscle development its reccomended that you get 1g per pound of body weight per day. I think that is actually to much but you should be getting plenty of protein. Thats what muscle fiber is, protein. If you go for the supplemental powder make sure it has the essential amino acids in it. Your body can't make those, the others it can. They are: Arginine, Histidine, Isoleudine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan, and Valine.

7. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

Alright, diets aside, here is a workout you can do without a gym or weights.

Do several pushups while maintaining a good breathing pattern (inhale when going up, exhale when down for 10 pushups, then reverse for 10 more.) Without taking a break (or with a very short break in which you can do situps or something) continue to do 5-10 reaaaally slow pushups, while breathing in and out quickly many times for each pushup. And by slow, I mean as slow as possible. At least 10 seconds per pushups, 20 is even better.

This is based on my training in the Systema martial art (the unarmed form of combat of the Soviet counter-terrorist forces), and I find it to be very effective. It sure is helping me build muscle, and also make me a lot stronger. The same technique can be applied to situps and squats.

By the way, you are still 17, which means you shouldn't really be concerned about gaining that muscle fast. At this age, people with certain body types (me being one of them) just don't build muscle very easily.