Murderous Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by redgingergirl, Jun 6, 2013.

1. tubahead

tubahead Member

That's a good point too. If you go in for Utilitarianism, the idea that the morally correct choice is the one that creates more good than bad, then it may be morally imperative to get an abortion. Utilitarianism holds the non-existence of rights. A human has no right to live, nor does a baby have a right to be born. Animals also do not have the right to live, but if their living conditions are such that they create lots of pain with little added pleasure (think factory farming), then it is morally imperative not to take part in such a system.

I am glad that you said this because it does answer the OP's question. How can there be such a hypocrisy? The answer is that under utilitarianism, there is no hypocrisy. Each moral decision is deliberated on a case by case basis, and as such, there are instances where abortion is the moral choice and not consuming animal products is the moral choice. Of course if you don't buy into utilitarianism, which most neo-conservative individuals do not, then the hypocrisy still exists, but you actually have much deeper underlying theoretical issues that you would need to square away with the utilitarian.

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

There is no reason that understanding abortion rights should be linked eating things that are raised, intentionally and systematically, only to kill.

The odd hypocrisy is the lifers who eat meat. They'll commit terrorist attacks to prevent the abortion of things with no consciousness, and in the next instant, eat something grown with frivolous cruelty.

3. tubahead

tubahead Member

This reminds me of the quote

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them."Alfred Adler
    Austrian psychiatrist & psychologist (1870 - 1937)
    You get this the other way around too. You have animals rights individuals willing to cause great suffering to people in order to stop the great suffering of animals. Maybe that is the same, maybe different. I am not sure at this point.

4. acuarela

acuarela Member

I’m pro-choice, but I don’t think I’d get an abortion. I think there are better options if you don’t want to become a parent, like adoption. There’s many people who want to have kids and can’t.

I guess I’d get an abortion if I was raped or something and somehow became pregnant, but everyone knows nobody gets pregnant from rape lol

Sometimes it’s good to ponder what kind of life will the child of parents who do not want a kid will have? There are lots of horror parenting stories out there and I think they’re more likely to happen when the parents feel like the child is nothing but a encumbrance to their life.

5. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

How do you reconcile this hypocrisy?

6. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I'm vegan and have children of my own and while I'm pro-choice (because I think a woman has the right to make choices about her body), I could never imagine myself getting an abortion. So then am I actually pro-life? I don't know. I would rather not associate myself with such things, actually...
    I can understand a woman choosing an abortion though in certain circumstances. I just don't know how they go through with it because I find it heart wrenching. I'm not going to judge them for making the choice to have an abortion. If anything, I feel empathy for them.

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What about animal abortions?

My cousins dog has had an abortion. What do pro choice vegans think about that?

8. acuarela

acuarela Member

This is exactly how I feel.

9. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

this is the best discussion on womens rights i've heard in some time, from a catholic nun of all people.

if more Christians behaved as these ladies did, the world would be a much more beautiful place.

On the criticism from the Vatican regarding human sexuality

Radical :sunny:

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/17/156858223/an-american-nun-responds-to-vatican-condemnation

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Why do you use assume that anyone who has an abortion feels that an animal's life is more important than an unborn child?
    That seems to be an overly simplistic view of the decision a woman must make when contemplating an abortion and lumps all woman into one category, it assumes that they all think an animal's life is more important than their unborn child. And you don't even differentiate between the 55 or so edible species of domesticated animals. To say nothing of the wild ones.

Anyway, just some things to think about:

An unborn fetus is part of a woman's body, and thus at least partly her own person, and it can be argued, she has a right to act upon her body as she sees morally fit, edible meat is not a part of her body.
    An unborn fetus is not conscious, or possess the awareness of an animal.
    An unborn fetus is not a food source, many types of animals are.
    A potential child is a huge, sometimes overwhelming responsibility, eating meat is not.
    As stated by others, edible animals are often abused before they are killed and refusing to eat their meat can be a moral choice irregardless of any contemplated abortion.
    An unborn fetus is not an independent entity and as such it could be argued that an independent entity has not been killed by an abortion, an animal is an independent entity that is terminated when killed.

Just saying....

11. RainyDayHype

Excellent points.

12. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

There are cases where I believe abortion should be excepted. Such cases include medical difficulties and rape victims. Other cases are selfish destruction. If you have sex you are taking on the responsibility knowing you could get pregnant, therefore condoms and birth control should be used. If said condom breaks and the birth control doesn't work in combined fashion I could also understand having an abortion because many steps where taken to avoid such consequences. Otherwise it is irresponsible of both parents to abort the child. The child could be adopted instead of murdered. My argument was that involving irresponsible pro-choice vegans. The unborn child’s life is worthless compared to an animal in need. I don't condone animal cruelty in any fashion I am simply stating that In the society I live in I have noticed plenty of cases of contradictory points of view saying life is sacred but a growing life in the womb is not. The argument where it is said the unborn child is apart of the mothers body therefore she should do whatever she pleases with it does not sound fair. It sides with the feminine aspect but what of the fathers genes? The child is half made up of him and he should also have a say in whether or not the child lives. I know many will state that he doesn't have to carry the child for nine months but when they agreed to have sex together an unspoken agreement was made acknowledging the responsibility of both parents if a child is conceived. Responsibility must be taken into account instead of turning abortion into another form of birth control.

13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In your view, what does "taking responsibility" entail in a situation such as this?

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I agree with you. I can understand it ONLY in those cases, otherwise I don't support abortion at all.

15. RainyDayHype

I don't think discussions about abortion ever go anywhere. It's such a controversial subject and a very personal and private choice. Every woman's story is going to be different and maybe their choice will only make sense to them, but that's okay because it's a personal matter.

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This thread probably exists so that someone who didn't have an abortion can pat themselves on the back.

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

See, why can't someone be anti-abortion? Everyone has the right to an opinion. Why do you have to be like that?

You're all very openminded people, but when someone has opinions that are different to yours (and that are unpopular here), you're all sure quick to make snide comments.

18. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

There is a huge difference between liberal and openminded. Most people here seem to be liberal.

19. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

All I wished to point out is the contriversial statements I have heard time and time agian where many vegans and animal rights activists will say life is sacred and we shouldn't destroy it in the animal kingdom, Then those very same people will turn around and promote abortion because their mindset says and unborn child is not a life. Why am I seeing this hypocrisy and why is it when I call on others for their opinions as to why people act this way I either get attacked for my opinions or ignored.

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Think about it, I am pretty sure it makes sense to you once you use logic.