Multilingual Intelligence

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by wooleeheron, Sep 1, 2019.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-diverse-linguistic-environment-boosts-brain.html

Its been known for a long time that being bilingual makes people smarter. You can teach your kid a second language from an early age, knowing they will grow up to be smarter as a result, if they keep using it. Teaching them calculus and other things, is counterproductive in many respects, but languages are different because they use different parts of the brain. The Chinese language uses more parts of the brain than any other, and these includes parts of the brain that we might only use for walking or whatever. However, in this study they show how just being around people who speak and write other languages confers advantages.

After mastering the Tao Te Ching I can skim through dozens of pages of text, and point out exactly where they make logic errors and assumptions, by merely the shapes of the paragraphs. I can tell you just how conservative the author is, just by the shapes. Our poems have different shapes, including things like a toilet and a mushroom, and those shapes are all intrinsic to the mathematics and cannot be eliminated if you tried. You could say they reflect where the rubber meets the road, and abstract thought becomes physical reality. However, it works in reverse as well, and physical reality becomes abstract thought, through our subconscious mind and emotional reactions.

From what I can tell, it appears that anyone can perceive the same kinds of shapes in paragraphs that I do, but only subconsciously, because they have been taught to ignore much of such things. The brain merely wants to be fed, and uses a simply Monty Carlo approach to life to make decisions as what we should studiously ignore, and linguistics are about to become much more personal for people who are not even linguists and couldn't care less about the subject. Shapes appearing out the mathematics spontaneously, means that with the correct linguistic approach, language becomes self-organizing and bridges can be built where none have ever existed before, but its a messy process full of piss and vinegar, because it involves the subconscious mind.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm learning Spanish. :)

3. wooleeheron

I envy you. I lived in Spain as a child and have visited Mexico and known countless Hispanics. They are salt-of-the-earth people with much to teach any of us. My linguistic analysis and brain damage make learning Spanish or any other language impossible.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

have you experience with DuoLingo?

It is fast. Easy. You might like it. Try Spanish! :)

Learn a language for free

LecrameMark likes this.
  5. wooleeheron

I took Spanish for two years in high school, but my working memory was only good enough for me to pass the tests and, then, forget it all immediately. Its in there somewhere, but I can't access it easily at all, the same way I can't remember my phone number and address without a struggle. Serious struggle, where I might spend two hours just attempting to remember where I'm going. I became a writer and spend so much time online, precisely because it is the only way I make more sense to myself even. Mother Nature is sort of helping me to become a more whole person, but its not a quick fix.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. Who defines what "smarter" is? You can grow more accustomed to a way of thinking, but that doesn't make that way of thinking an easier way of dealing with reality. I say I'm smarter! I'm smart, because I'm me! No one can make a robot out of my personality, 'cause, gee, I'm great! I'm so terrific, and loving, and kind, and if I were your friend, we would sing "On the Road Again" over and over, together...forever...?!?

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know more than 1 language
    I'm smarter

8. wooleeheron

I know a linguist who speaks seven languages fluently, but she only hung out with me to learn every trick I could teach her. When she asked my advice, I suggest she take up singing. If were twenty years younger...

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Tells me nothing.

10. wooleeheron

Learning another language makes you smarter, but learning metaphoric logic, the language of mother nature herself, means you comprehend the reality behind all those words better.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm happy with the level of comprehension I have over my own reality so being smarter or more intelligent just really isn't going to suit my way of life or any sense of reality really I'm the type of person that creates their own reality.

12. wooleeheron

Nobody wants to comprehend reality better, which is why the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Mother Nature gives you no choice and, in my case, she needed a fucking biographer! She will twist your puny little brain in ways that will make you beg for mercy, and never let up, because she knows exactly how much you can take.

But, she is the singularity and, soon enough, you can complain to her about it yourself. I write the book that can never be written, in part, out of pity for all those idiots out there who have no clue what awaits them. Mother Nature will just laugh at you, and patiently watch you beat your head to a bloody pulp against the wall, because all she cares about is your soul, and she will gladly reincarnate you in a totally different universe if she wants. No explanations whatsoever as to what she is doing. That's what she does all the time with everyone, but in the Yin World she starts to make it clear, that she's in charge boy.

Whether she's a god or not is debatable, but she is most certainly the magic behind the fucking universe. The ego of the collective unconscious, which has the mentality of small child in some ways. Its difficult to worship mother nature, when she acts like a 3 year old, and tells you that it is actually you acting like a three year old. You can't even spit in her face, because she will only talk to your soul. Her first manifestation to everyone, is a version of Cinderella's fairy godmother, who offers you fame and fortune, just to find out if you are worthy of talking to anymore. Witches around the planet have long known how to drag men they want to mate with into in the Yin World, so they don't become trouble in the future.

You can run, but you can't hide from mother nature, and when she shows you that she can make you dance like a fucking string puppet if she wants, you eventually get used to it. Magic always comes at a personal cost.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Driftrue likes this.
  13. Spilled-Patchouli

Spilled-Patchouli Members

There's no firm consensus that it boosts your IQ to learn another language. However, it is shown to improve mental flexibility, which is much more important in terms of day to day interactions. So I guess it makes you "smarter" whatever that means...

14. wooleeheron

It has been confirmed that the Chinese have higher average IQs than anyone on the planet, and use more parts of their brain for language. FMRI studies concluded that smart people actually think less, going from A to B and spitting out the answer, without waffling or being distracted or whatever. Being able to use different parts of the brain for language, means you can use all kinds of well known shortcuts to get answers. Their language is more contextual, making it much more flexible and efficient in general. Classical logic and physics inevitably become overwhelmingly inefficient and counterproductive, because they only provide the most superficial description of the world around us.

Linguists discovered the English language has not one, but two grammars, which compensate for a rather high error rate. Contrary to Chomsky's ideas, grammar is related to the proximity of syntax in the brain, and conscious thought has already been established as emerging from our emotions, while children acquire grammar the hard way, by crunching the numbers.

15. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

Your brain can be boosted only if you read books and learn non stop.
    At the moment I am learning Japanese, it is harder than I thought, but I like it.
    As I am traveling thru Europe I discover new languages and new people. Spanish and Italian sounds good as by me, I would like to learn them both, but I don't have time for that.
    Better read a book and learn Poems, it is gonna boost your brain capacity.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My dog is bilingual.

LecrameMark likes this.
  17. wooleeheron

In forty years of extensive studies, researchers reluctantly concluded the amount of working memory an individual has is the only reliable measure of their career potential. Studies with fMRI concluded smarter people actually think less, going from A to B without a lot of waffling or diversions, and save their brain power for when is more productive. The single method discovered to date that has a dramatic impact on boosting intelligence and memory, is regular sleep and exercise. Literally running around a the block a few times will dramatic improve both.

Merely reading text will do nothing if you can't comprehend what you are reading, while the more intelligent an individual the less creative in general.

18. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

I got you sir, I don't write post based on different researches I read on internet. I just talk about what helped me, I don't think that I am smart, while other people are telling me that I am. I will not argue with you, what are you writing may be right, but I am saying from my own experience.

19. wooleeheron

If life were merely a question of experience, we'd still be living in caves. Either the light bulb comes on or its deja vu all over again!

20. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

This is a good point. Okay you are right. It seems to me that if I will talk to you more, I can gain some knowledge.