Moving to Va

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Takemenow, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

ive been taking online tours of houses all morening and its drivng me nuts....its really hard to buy a house from a billion miles a way... but i hear its warm there today...lol and its -55c here today..so thats giving me the will to keep looking..

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

[​IMG] 76 degrees fahrenheit...

If there's one thing I love about Virginia... I live on the bay and everything is really waterfront and around here we have a lot of commercial fishermen that are really interesting... (guineas... they're a lot like cajun people [​IMG]). Also, the weather is really good most of the year and we're lucky to get about 24 inches of snow a year and it'll usually melt in a day... I like it here... but there's lotsa rednecks and hillbillies [​IMG], but I deal with them... they aren't that bad. The humidity in VA is pretty good... once you start getting down into the Carolinas, the air feels a lot heavier... Ooh, and Virginia has the best leaves in the fall... we usually go to the mountains in the fall. But the only problem is that all the jobs are from Richmond to the bay... Hampton roads is a pretty safe place to live... but the futher south you go on the bay, the more murders there are and the population is higher... I live in Gloucester which is just north a ways of Hampton Roads... kind of like a bedroom community. Chesapeake, VAs (far south) homicide rate quadrupled in the past year [​IMG] The only thing I don't like about it is that you have a lot of gov't people in the area, but... eh, they won't hurt you... usually. We did have someone tap our phones once.

Where in VA were you thinking of moving

3. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

I am moving to Roanoke

4. Orsino2

Aah, that's probably the only place where there's jobs and such in the mountains... I have family around the mountains, mostly in the cleghorn valley and spread from southern VA... Abingdon/Marion to the Bristol area... most live in Chilhowie. Just wait for the fall :D That's probably one of the most beautiful areas on the east coast.

5. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

well im moving there cuz the guy i have fallin head over heels for is in Vintion....but vition is to small of a place for me. Roanoke is the next large city.

6. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

Pot laws?

7. Orsino2

Yeah... there's laws here on it, but most of the time it isn't too bad... depends on where you live. :p Nobody seems to make a huge deal of it here, but the christian fanatics are kinda touchy with it.

8. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

good cuz im used to not having to worrie about it all that much

9. Orsino2

I just wouldn't walk around on the street doing it or on your front porch in mid day. :p

10. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

lol yea i know... im gonna miss being able to do that

11. Orsino2

It all depends on where you live :p

12. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

well i'll just be carful

13. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Member

ummm... the truth is everything outside of northern virginia sucks ...

14. Orsino2

Yeah... that's pretty true. Well, Williamsburg isn't too bad. Fred-vegas is kinda interesting... I like it there... VA Beach is nuts, though... they've got some fucked up laws, sometimes, but there's a lotta crime, so I can understand why. I've seen some wild shit happen there :D. I like the boardwalk... nice place to go walking... Keller Williams sums it up well in his song "Vabeeotchay" :D

15. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Spoken like a true Northern Virginia elitist:p

Roanoke is the probably the hub of southwestern Virginia (which means boooooooring if you crave neon-lit skies and all night bars). It's a nice enough city. Don't know anything about Vinton. You are close to Floyd, VA, which hosts Floydfest, a very kool, kind festival. You will also be close to Blacksburg and Virginia Tech, one of the larger unis in Virginia. There will ALWAYS be something going on in Blacksburg (unless Tech is out for the holidays). You will be in the Shenandoah Valley which is nestled between two mountain ranges. The Appalachian Trail runs through the eastern range. Good hiking. Smith Mountain Lake is nearby. There you can wade, swim, fish, loll about in the sun, and become acquainted with the southern phenomenon known as the redneck AKA Billy Bubba. Most of them are harmless, some of them are salt of the earth folk. There are the odd few who are... well, I'm sure Alberta has them, known by another name. They are the same, regardless of latitude and longitude.

Weed? Be smart, walk free. Don't let on that you might even think about toking. Seriously. Your head-over-heels mate will know the deal. Truly, it can go either way here. But I've heard enough horror stories to make me walk the straight-and-narrow (HA if they only knew!!).

Hope your transition is smooth and your welcome cordial.:)

16. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Member

are you still moving to va

17. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

yes i am

18. ColonelForbin44

ColonelForbin44 Member

I live in Blacksburg and go to VA Tech...its about an hour away from Roanoke...if you ever need something to do, i'd love to take you around to some of the local college parties or shows... i met some really cool heads down here... 4 of them are in an awesome jam band called jungl-ed, so if your into jam music, you'd like that... there's also The Kind, a really good Dead cover band, which plays a free show every tuesday at champs... well anyways, maybe i'll hear from you sometime, good luck with your move![​IMG]