Moving to Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Revolver1966, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

Hey guys an gals

I am seriously thinking of moving to Spain next year to work and learn the Spanish.

My question to you is would it be difficult to move there knowing little spanish and hoping to leanr? Are there alot of ennglish speaking people htere?

And would it be hard to find work with little knowledge of the language?

Thanks alot!

Riley

2. Dzone420

Dzone420 Member

I just went to Alicante with the wifey, I gotta say it was the best vacation Ive ever had. I dont speak alot of spanish but I understand quite a bit, it was kinda hard because unlike most of europe they dont speak alot of english. I would move there in a heart beat It was soooo relaxed compared to the US.

I say pack up & go most people say it takes about 1 to 2 years to be fluent & Im sure work is hard to find (alot of street hustlers).

3. pacospain

pacospain Member

yes, sure. Work in USA is a lot of easier than here in Spain, you only have to see our unemployement rate, above all, now in this global market Crash. actually, the rate in USA, despite this bad time, is better than here in our best time. besides, it's still more dificult if you are a young man. But at least it's sooooo relaxed. greetings.

4. beachbum29

beachbum29 Member

Yeah, with little Spanish one of your best bets in terms of work may be backpacker hostels around Spain, being Canadian could work to your advantage as a lot of guests will be your countrymen, and as far as the Spanish guests go, I guess you can pick the basic hotel vocabuary (bathroom on the top floor to the right, breakfas at 10, etc.) up before you go.
    Have fun! Live in Spain myself, don´t speak the language very well either, managed to get a job in Gibralter, the English speaking British colony right next to it, cross the boarder every day, works out fine for me, still, need to get my Spanish in shape.

5. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

I moved to Portugal in 2008 not knowing to speak any. I got a job and now I speak pretty good because no one spoke english. You learn fast when you have to.

6. Abram00

Abram00 Guest

I think yes because working in USA is a more easier than here in Spain. You just have to see our unemployement rate and this global market Crash. In fact, the rate in USA, is quite better than here in our best time. So, take your time and think in a realw mood and take the final decision.

Hotels in playa del carmen

7. I have lived in Spain for 10 years and I have to say that the transition wasn't that easy but not impossible. I studied Spanish here in the government language school and speak very well but I am not totally fluent. It is an uphill battle. I read and watch tv in Spanish without ant difficulty it is the different accents that cause a problem. I studied French before going to work in France years ago so I was prepared for the problems. It's very easy to pick up basic vocabulary in a short space of time but if you really want to get to grips with the language your talking years of study. The work situation here is very bad right now - the unemployment rate is over 20% and doesn't look like dropping in the near future. Sorry to be a bit of a killjoy but it's better to know what your letting yourself in for before arriving. Best to have a bit of money so you can take time to integrate and find work and somewhere to stay. Best of luck!

8. SlayerFan20

SlayerFan20 Member

I go to Spain every year, so I feel I should make my input. Firstly, if you are learning Spanish, make sure you learn to speak proper Spanish (Castilian), not Latin American Spanish. Secondly, the unemployment rate is very high, so you may want to remain in the United States. Thirdly, you might have a learn a different language, depending on the Autonomous Community you live in. For example, the people in Galicia can communicate in Spanish, but they will prefer it if you speak Galician.
    Or if you're in Catalonia, its best to speak Catalan. It's not mandatory--as far as I know--but the people will appreciate your efforts.

If you want to live in a country that is like Spain, but in better condition, I'd recommend Andorra.

Que tus días sean los pacíficos.

9. Meagle

Meagle Member

1 Is no mandatory that you speak spanish with any particular accent, no one would say nothing wrong of it, in the other hand there are more "american-spanish" speakers than anywhere else. If you came to Spain you´d better learn some basic sentences or words, very few people speaks fluent english here, and the rest fear to look ridiculous, so may not speak

2 Unemploiment hig? yes, always nearly 15% now crisis, over 20% but if you came here being a native english speaker with a university degree or studying on it, you may easyly get a job as english teacher

3 Diferent languages: We have 4 oficial ones, but spanish (español/castellano) is the only oficial in all the country, catalonians no matter how mad about nationalism or Independence they are, would speak spanish easyly to any from latin america or some one who is not from Spain, so no problem at all.

4 Que tus días sean pacíficos, is the right way but no one say that in any spanish speaking country, lets say:

¡Que te diviertas!:sunny:

10. Tripples

Tripples Member

The unemployment level is sad but almost irrelevant for native English speakers.

Although the level of English is low, more and more people are hungry to learn English and are finally realising it is important for all fields of work, not just tourism, but business and science etc
    About 95% of my British, American, Canadian and Irish friends here work as English teachers and the one that has fluent Spanish and French has other options.

I suppose I'm just echoing what others have said, but if you have a degree and the right character/attitude for teaching you will find work. There is a lot more competition for teaching jobs in Barcelona and Madrid so it doesn't hurt to have completed a TEFL course. I did the CELTA when I got here(Madrid), (it's very hard work, very intensive) but now work in a state school (publico) and also have plenty of private classes.

¡Qué tengas buena suerte!