moving.... help!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kyndmama, May 29, 2004.

1. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

We are moving from Colorado Springs to New York state next week and I'm a
    little nervous doing so with an 11 month old. We just moved here to Colorado when my daughter was 2 weeks old and luckily she was young enough to just sleep the whole time. Now she is really active! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how to make the road trip a pleasant one.

2. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

My kids are much older now but we traveled great distances all the time when they where little. I found with that age the best thing is to get some kids music like Barney or Seaseme Street and play them i the car stereo. I know you will be bored senseless but they will love it. 11 months is a bit too young for eye spy and that sort of thing we played the other things that could be good are board books and a lunch box filled with snacks that they can have and get to when they want. Mine each had their own little packed box of rasins and fruit snacks and spill proof cup with a drink. I found if they could just help themselves when they wanted something (even as young as yours) they felt more in control and found the trip easier. Also they will sleep if they are at all like mine. My 10 year old still can't be in a car for a long journey without having a nap. Best of luck with your move!!

Love & Suggestions
    EnonEmouse

3. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I drove from PA to SC when my eldest daughter was 9 months old. It was @ a 12 hr drive. I left around 4 am so she would sleep for 3-4 hrs. Then we stopped and got breakfast, changed her diaper, etc. Got on the road again and she fell back asleep and slept until I stopped for lunch. She didn't cry until we got to @ 30 min from my house!

Plan on making a lot of pit stops. how long of a drive is it?

4. kyndmama

kyndmama Member

It's a 30 hr drive!!! We plan on taking about 4 days(hopefully thats all it will take!)It's going to be hard because my husband and I each have to drive separate vehicles and she's not going to have anyone in the back seat to hang out with. Plus she is out of reach from me. She definately sleeps a lot in the car but not that long! It'll be an interesting week for sure lol

5. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Wow. Yeah, you definitely have your work cut out for ya! An 11 mo. old is not going to be happy spending 4 days in a car. Are you planning on taking extra long breaks, so she has time to run around a bit?

6. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

If you are going to spread it over 4 days do you plan on staying in Motels or what? If you can make sure you go to places where she can do lots like swimming or what ever. After about 7 hours a day in the car she is going to need to be able to burn off some of her energy. Find a park or forest and go for walks and let her run around and play so she will not feel to cooped up when she has to be back in the car agin later. I would suggest an hour break for play as well as what ever else. make sure you have Barney tapes and sing along with her it let her know you remember she is there.

Hope it all goes well.

Love & Best Wishes
    EnonEmouse