motorcycles!

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by xscoutx, Jan 28, 2005.

1. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

does anyone else out there ride a motorbike (scooter, motorcycle , etc.)??
    they are sooo good on gas!

2. element7

element7 Random fool

..ever get the cash, I'm getting a Harley but for now it's the bipedal human powered transportation for the most part. Two wheeled transport just doesn't feel as restrictive as a moving box.

3. thespeez

thespeez Member

FTR, one of the advantages that a Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 has over bikes in its class (believe it or not) is that they are probably more fuel efficient. I remember reading about this in a comparison that Motorcycle Cruiser magazine made several months back (included in that comaprro were the Honda Aero 750, the Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic and the Yamaha V-Star 650). The only thing that you'd have to watch if you got a Sporster is that they have a higher center of gravity and tend to be more high maintenance than the Hondas, Kawasakis and Yamahas of similar ilk.

Good luck in your decision!

4. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

motorcycles are toooo loud and for me.. when they WHOOOOSH by me while im driving.. wheeeeww scary!

5. stuntdragon1

stuntdragon1 Member

Man I was so trying to get a motorcycle...I even have the permit because I was planning on getting one. Ended up getting an economy car anyway. But yea they are good on gas and carry cheap insurance.

6. element7

element7 Random fool

Thanks for the info. That's awesome.

7. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

This is what l'm aiming to own very soon..
    Ducati ST4s is a Sports Tourer motorbike featuring the beautiful Desmoquattro 996 engine....Yum...

8. puddin

puddin Banned

Its a yucky shade of red. Get a deeper red.

9. Love113

Love113 Member

Im buyin a scooter sometime this year, I've been a pedestrian for a really long time and I've decided I am gonna upgrade to something a little faster than feet. I want some sort of Piago vespa.

10. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

This is my '90 Sportster 1200 Its not a very good picture but the bike is awesome. I get close to 100 miles to a tank. Its so loud. Just how i like em. But yeah i always prefer motorcycles over cars.

11. Gurkadurk

Gurkadurk Member

Bikes are awesome. Wish I had one.

12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Small cars are almost as good on fuel as the larger motorbikes?

13. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

ahhh, vespas! i have a scooter: a kymco people 50...its baby blue!
    also just got a suzuki GZ 250 and i love it too! yay bikes!!

14. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

anyone know anything about Victory motrcycles?I was checkin em out cuz they got the Harley look,they are U.S. made,but a lot cheaper price tag.anyone hear anything on em,let me know.ideally,i'll have me a restored 1940-something indian,but thats probably a good ways down the road

15. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

Victory sounds familiar but i may be thinking of Triumph's I dont know man, good luck on the Indian though

16. thespeez

thespeez Member

Victory is owned by Polaris out of Minneapolis, who produce ATVs. They were started about five years ago or so and have gained market share since the introduction of the Vegas in 2003, which has been the basis thus far for their subsequent models, like the Kingpin, 8-Ball and Hammer. Only one of the origional models, the Touring Cruiser is still in the lineup.

Hate to break the news to you, but the entry-level 8-Ball model starts out at about $13,000 and the top models top out at about $21,000.

I have heard mixed stories with regard to their reliability.

www.victorymotorcycles.com/

17. EricZ123

EricZ123 Member

any1 like to ride offroad ? i sure do..

18. vw1989

vw1989 Member

I think bikes are ace much better than cars. Im not old enough to get one but i am a keen xc cyclist. What scares me is incompitent and stupid drivers who dont look out for you. Ive have numerous near death experiances of people opening car doors on me or pulling out into me. I nearly got sucked into the wheels of an articulated truck. Something should be done to get the car driving public to look out for bikes of any type.

19. keowyn

keowyn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bedlam, you are so sexy right now.

Sportsters get good mileage compared to all the larger harleys. But being harleys, all parts and maintanance are going to cost an arm and a leg. And there are many bikes that get better mileage than a sportster.

An economy car will get better mileage than a large motorcycle. The new hybrids get arround 50 mpg, where as my roommates harley gets arround 30 mpg (but it is heavily modifies and very fast). But my Ninja 600 gets 55 mpg and I ride the piss out of it. My Riva 180 got over 80 mpg with a gas leak, lol.

Motorcycle insurance is way cheaper than car insurance. Obviously gas is less. Maintanace and repair is almost always cheaper and less frequent. Bikes rule!

20. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

Oh wow....Ducati, so beautiful. I'm looking at this when I get out of college:
    Aprilia RSV 1000-R Factory. I love European Bikes.