"Mothership Connection" by Parliament

Discussion in 'Music' started by Carnivore, May 12, 2004.

1. Carnivore

Carnivore Visitor

[​IMG]

It's been a little while since I last listened to this album, but I decided to pull it out again last night from my dad's collection (he has it on tape). This is truly a great album; one of the best works of funk that I have yet heard. I was laying down in bed while listening to this, and the sheer groove of these songs put me in a trance which was hard to pull out of.

The instrumentation of these songs is just incredible. As one friend of mine said, it is amazing how many funk/soul musicians always keep in time with an ensemble, no matter what the structure of their song is. This album is no exception. The beginning song, "P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)" begins with a synthesizer and a dialogue, and as soon as the narrator says, "My motto is...", the band swiftly changes into the chorus, with a pulsating bassline, courtesy of Bootsie Collins, blaring trumpets, and other assorted instruments. "Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)", probably the most well-known song off this album, is another good example of this, because the musicianship constantly changes, yet the main groove and chorus remains intact.

Music like this is so fun and uplifting to listen to, yet it manages to be visionary at the same time. I cannot see how anyone wouldn't enjoy an album such as this one. While this album is good to listen to in ones' own company, I imagine that it could be enjoyed in more hectic settings, such as a party, when one has friends over, etc. The song titles are great too! "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication (The Thumps Bump)"...I rest my case.

2. SamIam

SamIam Member

totally! Parliament Funkadelic is awesome. I actually saw them live a few months ago. They played for almost 3 hours. Its like a non-stop party! They were always switchin who was playing and singing n stuff. It was a lot of fun. And yeah, Mothership Connection is a great album.

Sam

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

That album is off the hook, for lack of any better words. Great album!

I like Funkadelic a lot, too.

4. Jim

Jim Senior Member

Indeed that is a great album... I've been a Parliament and a Funkadelic fan for a while now and I used to have this album in my car for a while... So funky and fun... Great Stuff.

If you liked that album, I'd urge you to get more from the Parliament and especially the Funkadelic canon... Albums like 'Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein', 'Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On' and 'Let's Take It To The Stage' are all essential listening (I think), for some classic funk(rock/soul)...

Really, you can't go wrong with any album up to around 1977..

5. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

hey hey hey....don make me those handcuffs on you mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!