Most embarassing craving.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by ericf, Jan 12, 2005.

1. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

I used to live with my family and they were meat eaters, not every meal but more than not...My mum very kindly used to make alternatives to go with what they were having and I also learned to cook for myself so that I could have something that went with the veg part of what they were eating. Wasn't that hard to do once I had really decided that I wasn't going to eat meat again...eg: roast veggies don't have to be cooked in animal fat and there are a million and one good veggie things that go with them!! I unfortunatly have a severe roast potato addiction so never need anything to go with them, apart from salt and pepper!!

:p

2. USCpisces

USCpisces Member

Hmmmm I sometimes crave chicken after finishing fish or shrimp that doesn't make me full enough. However I never have thoughts bout red meat and especially pork... I don't think I could even digest it anymore without getting sick... it just feels too heavy. My body would spaz out and be like "What am I supposed to do with this?"

- Ashleigh

Hey check out my journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ash_leigh_c
    and add me on MySpace: http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12064969

3. kristina777

kristina777 Member

I've been getting pizza at school and sometimes it's impossible to take the time to take out every single sausage in it so I end up eating a few...I still hate them tho!

I think every once in awhile I crave chicken...but proably if I ate it, I'd either get hooked on it or I'd hate it. At the end of this ear, I'll've been a vegatarian for three years.

4. stephaniesomewhere

hating eating something and eating it are far different things...Why don't you get something other than the pizza? Maybe you could talk to the peple that run the canteen and ask them to make a vego pizza, there are so many good vego pissa toppings available that I find that I tend to have to fight my meat loving mates when it comes to sharing, they would probaly find themselves selling out of the vego one before the meat one (good for business!)!! Really I am 1 million percent sure that there is a vege alternative on the menu and if there really isn't why not take your lunch, you could make a pizza and take the leftovers...we all know cold pizza rocks!!
    I hate being puritanical about being a vegetarian but you can find an alternative to eating meat if you look hard enough and picking meat out or off things does not really meet the mark
    :) .

5. USCpisces

USCpisces Member

Kristina-

If you are craving chicken why don't you ever give in to the the craving? What happens if you do get hooked? Is that such a bad thing?
    I was a vegetarian for 7 years and very recently I started to slowly integrate chicken back into my diet... I am still alive, ya know?

- Ashleigh

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Well obviously she wants to be vegetarian. In case you hadn't noticed, you're in a vegetarian forum.

7. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

i think picking the meat off or out of something is okay... i mean, you aren't eating meat, right?

8. stephaniesomewhere

well as long as you are the one doing it and not me that is fine by me!!
    :)
    as I figure it all the juices and fats from the meat soak and seep into whatever you are cooking it in/on...not what I want to eat as I figure thats much the same as eating meat but I am not going to pick a fight with anyone as long as they don't expect me to eat it...unfortunately I have been in a lot of situations where people figure this is ok, and as it's not by me it can make it confusing for them and really hard to understand if others are doing it..if you are vegetarian you don't eat meat oils.....

9. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

See, I'm just the opposite... food waste is a huge issue with me. I even (somewhat queasily, and morally conflicted the whole time) ate chicken a few months ago when a restaurant made a mistake on my order, because I knew they'd throw it away otherwise.

According to an article I read recently, around 50% of the food produced in the US is wasted. Production of meat is already terribly wasteful; adding to that by throwing the product away just compounds the problem. If you throw the meat out, you aren't taking it into your body, but you are still contributing to meat consumption, and factory farming.

I've always felt that, if the general population cut their meat consumption, and if waste was more carefully managed at every step, there would be no need for cruel, unsanitary, polluting factory farms.

I'd like to hear from a few other people on this:

1) would you pick the meat off something, throw it away, then eat what's left?

2) What are your reasons for following a veggie diet/lifestyle?

I have a feeling the two answers will be linked.

10. USCpisces

USCpisces Member

Artful dodger-

I totally admire your commitment to not contributing to America's wasteful behavior...you are sooo right, consumers are extremely wasteful in that they have no idea (nor do they care to concern themselves with) how much food gets tossed out on a daily basis.
    I cant believe you ate an entire chicken dish tho... that's crazy!

Well, to answer your question, my reasons for becoming a vegetarian began out of curiosity. I wanted to see if I had the self control to make that type of commitment. Recently after 7 years of not eating any chicken or meat... I began getting cravings again and I now eat chicken and turkey on rare occasions bc I don't believe in keeping yourself from enjoying something you want--- life is too short.

What's your reasoning for being a vegatarian?

- Ashleigh

11. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

This is indeed the difference between moral vegetarians and the rest of 'em. You see it that way, a moral vegetarian might draw a comparison like this:

Yeah, y'know what? I fancy a fuck. Think I'll go rape someone. I don't believe in keeping yourself from enjoying something you want--- life is too short.

12. ( ∞ )

( ∞ ) INFINITY

I hate meat...

that is why I became a vegetarian in the first place.

13. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

on some rare occasions i crave chicken, but most te time i realize what a fool i am being and stop mylsef

14. JohnnyATL

JohnnyATL Banned

Im not a veggie but I live in the south and Sausage and Gravy buiscuits are my favorite meal ever. Technicly its not that bad for you...well yeah it is nevermind