Most annoying day in a while n now stranded

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, May 31, 2013.

1. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

those numbers are about right...

make sure you have someone working under the umbrella of a legitimate certification.

this ain't a back yard job, especially if your HG's have been failed for a while...

2. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I probably wouldn't put that in it if I were you. I can guarantee that it needs a bunch of other shit too, or will soon. If it were mine I would fix it yeah, but I wouldn't pay someone to.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hey, Deviate...

Hubby said to tell you that the engine light flashes only if doing a fast acceleration. Other than that it's just been burning steady.

We are going to make a shorter trip for our errands today, under your advice...

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

That's really weird. I hear stories like that all the time, but I haven't really run across that kind of mentality in this industry. But I've also worked in top tier repair shops for 95% of my time in the field. If anything, I'm more likely to go more out of my way for a woman and do things above and beyond what she is paying for, simply because she's a woman.

There are so so many variables when it comes to cars that sometimes you legitimately have to fix what you can confirm first and see what happens. Otherwise you might be selling them a bunch of parts they didn't really need. But I make sure I explain those situations beforehand clearly. Also, there are a lot of idiots who think they know what they are doing and they don't. That might be the case there.

5. deviate

deviate Senior Member

You have an ignition misfire.. probably a bad coil. If you keep driving it you are going to melt the catalyst because the engine is sending raw fuel down the exhaust.

Go by autozone or something and get them to pull the code. If it's a coil on plug system, where an ignition coil is mounted directly on top of each spark plug, and you replace the coil and spark plug in that cylinder chances are that will fix it. Hard to say for sure without looking at it.

P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire
    p0302 - cylinder 2 misfire

and so on.

6. Aerianne

Thanks alot Dev!!! There's an auotzone right when I'm going to the store.

I've pulled up a brilliant youtube video of a guy changing the spark plugs on a mazda similar to mine.

You're great and I'm loving youtube right about now.

Thanks, Home Skillet!!!!

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Ah, mazda coils go bad a lot. If that's like a tribute with the 3.0 duratec engine (v6), hopefully it's on the front bank (closest to the radiator), because to access the rears you have to pull the intake plenum off. Let me know what cylinder it is on the code, and what car and I can tell you where that is on the car.

Either way you should probably replace all the plugs and do that fuel service I was talking about, on top of replacing the bad coil.

8. Aerianne

EDIT: It's a 2007 Mazda 5 - 4 Cylinder. I'll get back to you with the diagnostic code.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

So that's a 4 cyl? That will be easy.

10. Aerianne

Yes, we've looked at the assemblage there and know we need the deep socket to get to the plugs.

EDIT: This is the video we've started looking at about how to change out the plugs...I don't know if he goes into how to do the coils...haven't gotten that far yet.

Kind of hectic with trying to entertain the Pit pup right now, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wtwl0bvII"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wtwl0bvII

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

You can use a regular 5/8" spark plug socket and a 6" extension. Just be careful taking them out, don't do it on a hot engine. If you rip the threads out of the head that is not very fun to fix. And get some anti seize to put on the threads of the new plugs. Just a small amount.

If you have a code for one cylinder like I described, it's probably safe to assume you can buy one coil and 4 plugs while you are out.

Cylinder 1 is closest to the belt(s) and it goes 1,2,3,4 toward the transmission.

12. Aerianne

Thanks, you probably didn't see the video I added to the last post. He's even using the anti seize. Very thorough.

13. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I can check my oil, change a tire, top up my washer fluid, pump gas and wash my car.

And that's about all I've ever had to do.

I am impressed by everyone here who has tinkered with cars. I feel pretty useless now.

14. Aerianne

Lots of us started feeling useless after they put those computers in cars...

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My turn, my turn

Sooo deviate....my clutch has been doing this thing where there's really just nothing there..I don't know how to describe it in technical terms because I'm a girl lol but when you press the clutch in you have less than a second to change gears before the clutch completely loses pressure and you can't change gears.

So we were reading that if there is a sign of a leak around the master slave cylinder it just needs to be replaced...so we did that, bled the clutch, and it did fine for a few minutes then started doing it again.

Whatdoyathink?

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Well on a clutch hydraulic system you have the master cylinder that bolts to the firewall and has a rod that connects to the clutch pedal under the dash, then the slave cylinder that bolts to the transmission and pushes the shift fork.

You probably replaced the slave because it was leaking right? The master can leak too, mostly internally the fluid bypasses the seals and doesn't produce or hold pressure.

You probably need to replace the master and rebleed the system. Either that or there is still air in it from when you opened it the first time.

I always replace the clutch master and slave together so that this doesn't happen haha.

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I love driveability diagnostics on computer controlled cars. I've had to put a lot of time in and money in tools and equipment, but that's my specialty. And it's cool that it's so complicated. Just means job security to me ;)

18. deviate

deviate Senior Member

No, didn't see it. But sounds like he is doing it right. Most heads now are aluminum and can chemically react to steels basically welding themselves together.

19. Aerianne

I'ma have some coffee and then head to AutoZone...letting the Pit laze on the porch for a while.

20. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Mmm coffee. Good call.