Mormons?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Adamskiffle, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

If you're not voting, you forfeit your right to bitch about the outcome. Just sayin'.

Varmint likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

people keep saying this as though voting makes it possible to have a non-bitchworthy outcome. that's about as illogical as refusing to vote just because no candidates had joined the military previously.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I had a few Mormon friends and classmates growing up. Some of them partied, cursed like sailors, and drank like fish. Then once they finished high school they became puritanical.

4. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

Actually, I see it as saying the opposite. No matter the outcome of the election, there will be disagreements and "bitchworthy" moments or events. However, if you haven't voted...your bitching is meaningless. So, if you care to reserve the right to bitch about the end result...you need to be involved in the process. No involvement...no bitching!

At least...that's the way that *I* see it. YMMV.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

but you can't be involved in the process. you can give your opinion on which guy you would rather helps out his rich buddies, but no way to say that you don't want either guy to help out his rich buddies. other than not voting.

6. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

Okay. I'm not sure how *not* voting is any more involved in the process, nor how it sends any signal to anyone. I guess perhaps I'm hearing that people would like a "None of the Above" option on the ballot? Which would definitely send a signal.

But...assuming that the majority of voters vote for "None of the Above"(or however the system would be setup. I guess if "NOTA" votes prevent some Electoral votes from being cast for a candidate, and no candidate gains the required 270 votes...?) ...then what happens? The election process would have to start over. Who presides in the meantime? The President already in office? Or would Congress choose an interim President...do we really want that? And...the two previous "non-winners", would be disqualified from running again? Food for thought...

7. Visexual

Visexual Member

Actually, if you vote when you don't want either, you're supporting this two party system that's corrupt. How much power would those two parties have if nobody voted?

everything bagel likes this.
  8. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

Uhh, let's see...the exact same amount of power that they have now? Not participating in the system...does not change the system. In fact, there's a decent chance it will make things worse. The politicians will figure, "Hey...no one's voting, so they apparently don't care *what* we do!" You can't just "not vote", and believe that things will magically change. You'd have to do *something* to bring about change. So, without voting...you can't change the system from within. I think that only leaves...revolution?

9. My best friend in high school was a Mormon. He was funny as heck. He couldn't leave his house on Sunday. We'd go over to see if he could play, and he'd be in his pajamas all day long. He never said a word to me in four years about Mormonism, though later he kind of flaked out on us. I was a delinquent punk rocker and he was just a good little boy, so I guess it figures.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree that the two party system and how votes count in the US is what makes people lose faith in politics and interest in voting but:
    I agree with this even more! If americans wanna change the two party system or other aspects of voting (like the electoral college) you have to participate. Work together. Don't be a passive complainer. Advocates of the current system LOVE it that people like you (Visexual) don't vote. It actually suits them.

What i disagree with is that if you don’t vote you lose the right to complain. I understand the sentiment though.

11. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I was a Mormon.
    I loved the missionaries, they were brilliant. They were never pushy with people and respected someone saying no.

Some members on the other hand are total twats.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Really? Where? In the UK?

13. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Yeah.

14. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I got a religious sermon from an exterminator once. In college. they were spraying all the dorms for bugs and the exterminator said something that to me sounded very Buddhist in its philosophy. So I asked her if she was Buddhist and she launched into this tirade about Jesus Christ the one true savior and all this and that

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Mountain Meadows Massacre: google it.

Adamskiffle and Tyrsonswood like this.
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's not, it's just equally useless.

i really don't have an answer to the issue, i just don't see how supporting the broken system is supposed to help.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Mormons I swear man I love em
    They're knocking on the front door
    I'm on the opposite waiting for em
    Puncture wound victim right through the door
    Come back motherfucker!
    I stab you some more!

:D

18. Barking Spider

Barking Spider Members

I've had a few door knockers of late. When I informed them of my non interest, they've always been polite and move on quickly.

Other religions on the other hand have nearly felt the wrong end of my baseball bat.

19. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I remember a Johova Witnesses guy , I was discussing parts of the Bible that don't make scene . He told me not to read all the Bible just certain parts . Mormons/Witnesses can be fun to get into discussions with .

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, real fun. I invite them in for coffee, tea and biscuits and talk bible it's so fun.

:tearsofjoy:

Tags: