&%@#$ Mormons

Discussion in 'Cults' started by Levi, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The last time some mormon folks came to my door, I kindly explained that I believe in many different things and was not very much interested in the mormon religion and then chatted with them (not about religion). Then wished them a good day, they thanked me for my kindness of not slamming the door in their face or yelling at them. They have not been back since.

2. rak

rak Senior Member

thnx

3. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

4. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

I'm actually talking to a mormon right now about their beliefs and although I don't agree with it, it makes much more sense to me and doesn't sound as strange as it did before now that it has been explained.

5. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I don't believe that Mormon is a cult. It is like a later addition to the Bible we all know and trust. I was approached by some Latter day saints in Lewisham. They were young, about 19 or 20ish. They looked like they came from Public school and were non cult-like. They spoke to me, I spoke to them, outside a pub which heralded the title Fox and Firkin. It was a hot summer's day and there was a rumble of traffic etc. I have since read some of the Book of Mormon, and I just wish that there was infact some kind of Mormon community in the UK. It all seems to be in good old America, land of the free, home of the Eagle.

Now Jehovas witnesses seem to be a cult. There is something about them that kind of marks them out from everyone else. They don't tolerate any other religion, they continue to have this thing about turning up on your doorstep.

Jehova is God's name apparently. Now I was unlucky enough to share a prison cell with a JW. Now we spoke about this specific. I still believe that one should address God as God. I mean, you wouldn't say Elizabeth, if you were greeting the Queen of England. It is out of loyalty and respect I suppose that you wouldn't use Gods name. But JW's don't see it like that.
    I have had Jws turn up on my doorstep. Typical foot in the door and a sort of longest hour of attempted dogma.

6. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i just answer the door in a tshirt you can kinda see through. they're so flustered when i tell them to piss off that they GO.

7. mamaKCita

i've been around LOADS AND LOADS of JW's (my best friend in high school was devout, but cool) and mormons. frankly, aside from that friend of mine, i pretty much can't stand them.

8. Aldousage

Aldousage Member

I ALWAYS invite religious door-knockers into my home. I (at least) once converted a J.W. to agnosticism while his elder was standing right there beside him.

As far as hating people for this - of course I don't.

One: That would validate their belief that those outside of their cult are hateful, close-minded and unfriendly..

Two: They mean well. If I believed in the concept of eternal damnation, I'd like to think I'd try to convert as many people as I could. To me, that would be the ONLY ethical thing to do. If I think someone is about to fall into a pit, I feel it is my moral duty to shout out a warning.

Three: I think that loving people, and trying to understand them, is WAY better than the reverse.

Four: It seems that many of these people live in fear. I hate that. When I enter into dialogue with these people, there is a chance I can persuade them into rethinking (what I perceive to be) their bizarre, psychologically-damaging worldview.

Peacelove,
    Aldousage

9. mamaKCita

nope. just like telemarketers, they're trained in not taking no for an answer. i don't have that much patience. and i never let strangers into my house. that's just stupid.

10. Aldousage

Aldousage Member

Why is it stupid to let strangers into your house? Reasons of fear? I personally can't imagine living comfortably with such a crippling, guarded fear of humanity, but I do understand that it's fairly common in some parts of the world.

11. mamaKCita

yeah, welcome to world of women who have been stalked, cornered, abused and threatened frequently. strangers in my house? fuck that shit.

12. mamaKCita

ESPECIALLY to let them drone on about something i've no interest in. i mean, REALLY? no way.

13. Aldousage

Aldousage Member

I'm honestly sorry to have upset you. I hadn't considered the possibility that you had been a repeated victim of such vicious and frequent violence. That was insensitive and close-minded of me. If I shared a similar past, I would DEFINITELY have severe difficulties in terms of social interaction.

Peacelove,
    Aldousage

14. mamaKCita

no worries. a girl has to look out for herself and her daughters.

15. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I hope this gives you an idea of what Mormon is about. This is the web address the two Latter day Saints gave to me. I now share it amongst my brothers.

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/

16. burnabowl

burnabowl Dancing Tree

damn I wish i'da known about this thread before. I actually served a two year mormon mission. I can tell you that out of those two guys that knock on your door, only one of them will stay true to mormon mythology, so the better the energy you give them the more likely they will use what you say and apply it.whenever I saw a sign that said "no mormons" or whatever, I definitely went out my way to knock on the door. if the person then said "go away" I would without hesitation. I wanted to hear it from the person, not some dumbass sign, that's just inviting them. most of the missionaries I knew were incredibly stupid, and didn't know what to say except the stuff they'd memorized. I wanted to prove the image wrong and listen to people more than lecture them, and no one with a paper sign referred to it after i'd knocked on their door because I didn't piss them off.I prefer missionaries to lay mormons. the missionaries are the ones that are more in touch (even if it doesn't show; most of time they're just trying to reach a quota). the rest of the mormons are so crippled with feelings of entitlement of doctrines of exclusion and denial. they like to think they are accepting of others, but inside they only look at you as a nonmormon. they wouldn't limit themselves so much if they wouldn't think so highly of themselves

17. famewalk

famewalk Banned

I mistify these guys. They're always appearing on the scene when I'm trying to get that one I liked a lot to review in the right parts of town. Are the Mormons anything polygamous as a sect?

18. Blondieblue

Blondieblue Member

This has been a pretty interesting thread to read with all the differing opinions. It's too bad that no matter what the religion, the minority who are obnoxious or pushy give everyone of the same faith a bad name, once you told them you wern't interested; they should have just left. My mom years ago had an experience with a JW that was even pushier than that, my mom told them politely she wasn't interested, and went to shut the door; and this guy put his foot in the door so my mom couldn't shut it! once the dog came over to investigate though, the guy left :) on the other hand, I went to high school with a girl who was a JW, and was a really nice person; and well liked by the students. Even though she would sometimes go out to try and spread the word, if someone said they wern't interested; she just told them to have a nice day and left them alone.

I saw that someone else mentioned dressing in goth clothing and telling the people who knocked on their door that they worshipped satan LOL; it really does work :) years ago, some people always came to my paren'ts house wanting to convert us; but they always came after we had left for school and work- so a guy staying with us would always run into them. He told them nicely and more than once we wouldn't be interested, but they kept coming back. He finally invited them in one day and offered them a beer, and told them he was a satan worshipper, ( which he wasn't) and they never did come back after that. lol. I just think to lump all people of one faith together because of some that are self rigteous assholes, is to stoop to their level; because they do the same with others who don't think like they do.

19. ToastLovesMotherEarth

ToastLovesMotherEarth Guest

It feels like I can never get rid of the mormons. Their always coming to my house, and the Jehovah's witnesses always go to my neighbor's house. I think I'm gonna put up a sign that says "My dogs eat Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, crackheads, strangers, and cops. Stay out!"

20. burnabowl

burnabowl Dancing Tree

I think one sign that actually will keep mormons, etc., away is one that reads: "day sleeper-do not disturb!" that was one that no one in my mission would touch.