More Waxy Stuff

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by amybird, Feb 14, 2009.

1. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

u dont gotta add a handfull at 1 time to end up with a handfull in your hair its so hard to remove that a grain of rice sized chunk adds on to the previos rice grain chunk which adds on to the previos till u have a bowlfull of rice sized chunks

if u use thye tiniest bit possible your not gonna see devastating harm for a good lonmg while but eventualy you'll have enough buildup to cause issues

thats not the point though..you dont need any..none belongs in there to begin with
    u may get awawy with some use if your very very careful
    but the same can be said of dutura, u may not go into a coma if your lucky or u may eat a few seeds too many and die
    its better to not mess with it in the 1st place right?
    it doesnt do much good (wax i mean not dutura) the potential for harm is greast unless u use extreme care
    theres no reason to risk using any at all

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i think people definitely need to use common sense when using it.
    as i stated, dilli hasnt even used a 1/3 of a jar in 3 years.

if it feels like to much,it probably is..

3. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Yeh.

I think, no matter how much we all advise against wax, there will always be people who want to use it. It isn't just about marketing tricks; it's fair enough that a person may simply not wish to see a head of frizz in the mirror, or be able to get away with it at work.

There are all sorts of instances where we choose to use a substance against all better judgements, because the risk of it seems worthwhile, or we simply don't care.

Frankly...if there are smokers in this forum daring to rant about wax...well I'd better not go there!! lol :p

If a few teeny slivers of wax are enough to see someone through the first 4 months of their dreads, to the point where they may no longer feel the need for it, surely the "damage" done by that point is not so earth-shattering or irreversible?

4. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

aaaaaaaahaha, no wonder i fuckered mine up big time. had an 8oz tub and it was pretty much all gone within 6 months =/

5. menghele

menghele Member

lol this wax discussion is really stupid. No matter what arguments we bring there will always be people who are for and the ones who are against.

6. Smelly D

stupid discussions are often the best ;)

7. hippiehillbilly

:eek: woe!!!! thats A LOT of wax!!

did they stand straight out like pippi longstocking??:p
    [​IMG]

8. amybird

amybird Senior Member

?!?! :eek:

What is a discussion?

9. Smelly D

they were bone straight, i could bend them into allsorts of positions and theyd stay =/

10. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Wax really drags a lot of natural character out of dreads doesn't it? Like even after you quit using it, a lot of the fun kinks and squiggles may be long gone.

11. hippiehillbilly

thats actually kinda cool.. a nasty reality to it,but it would be cool to be able to do that with a head fulla dreads..:D

12. Smelly D

saves putting wires in for the medusa look at a fancy dress party, thats for sure

13. bcmama

bcmama Banned

I used KB wax on my first set of dreads for the first six months. I used less than directed and melted it in with a hair dryer. I cut my locks 2 years after I stopped using wax and I found wax in the core of my dreads.
    In comparison, my wax free set of dreads knotted up faster, smell cleaner , have less fuzz & lint in them and feel nicer than my waxed set.

14. soaringeagle

exxxactly bcmomma
    no matter how muchjh you use under the recomenbded, or how short a time u use it..its still wax and its still there hyeasrs later (along with years of dirt stuck in it)

that is something u wont know untill u cut the dreads and rip em open

durinmg the 2 years after stopping wax didnmt u also believe that u had gotten all of it out and that the lil bit u used wouldnt be a problem? but then when u open em up...surprise surprise

and as u said they dread faster and nicer withoiut

case closed..no advantsge whatsoevder certainly not 1 worth the core of wax u carry around for years (or presumably for life if the dreads survive the wax_)

15. soaringeagle

btw

watch that pro wax vid very very closely
    watch him bounce all over the screen ..but focus on his dreads
    see if u spot any dread movement whatsoever (theres 1 dread that cumes unglued from his face, moves almost 1/8 inch but stays bent in the shape of his cheek) even when he goes to push his dreads back with his hands they dont really move (and he pulls his hands away likle he touched something slimy and gross)

he was bouncing all over really animated yet the dreads styayed perfectly stigff totaly unafected by movement
    i bet if he hung upside down they still wouldnt move

16. SethHasDreads

SethHasDreads Member

his videos are edited, thats why he bounces.
    hes not actually moving.
    he records a clip, then edits in the next clip.
    the slight movement makes him look like he is bouncing around.

its like stop motion animation...kind of.

17. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

I do understand what you are getting at..really I do. I guess my logic would of been about the same as yours when you began your journey and backcombed and waxed. My hair is very thick and coarse...and I knew my locks would be resistant to locking (my hair is even resistant to perming)..so I suppose I felt I needed the extra hold.
    My choice to stop waxing happened before I found this site. Hey..I washed my hair and my locks were firmer and I just didn't feel that I needed to use it anymore. I find it hard to believe that people lack their own judgment when it comes to their hair. I did go through periods of "withdraw". Afraid of them getting looser...afraid that maybe I stopped waxing too soon. Now I'M not so concerned..and just letting them do their own thing. My maintenance now is sea salt, baking soda, and some root rubbing here and there. Oh and I do still palm roll sometimes when they are damp.
    I'm not telling anyone to use wax....I really don't care what other people do with their heads. I'M just saying that I don't think wax is the devil incarnate. Know what I mean?

18. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Yes :)

Yeah I remember you leaving a message on my site saying your dreads were at the same stage as mine, so it was handy to follow along. Hope I didn't take you down too many routes of bad advice! :p Do you reckon you still have any wax in them?

I've been feeling pretty sure that I don't, until recently. I did that hardcore dread clean with all the baking soda and stuff the other week, and since then my dreads have felt softer. I don't mean as in texture when stroking them. More like, less turgid, less hard. So I think maybe there was still some wax and it started coming out a little more.
    I've done so many really hot soapy thorough washes since last using wax 5-ish months ago. My dreads aren't very fat, so I really thought the wax would be gone.

Yesterday I had a much hotter shower than usual and was in there for longer than usual. When I was drying my hair afterwards, I noticed a very slight strange feeling over the surface, almost like I had just rubbed lotion over my dreads. I think that may have been even more wax coming out.

Also, yesterday evening I was just sat fiddling with my dreads, bending them around, and noticed that when I bend some of the harder parts of them, which I've just been assuming were very well knotted, I could kinda get them to hold their shape in a bent position. Could this be anything other than wax? (That wasn't a rhetorical question...seriously, is it definitely wax?)

19. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

Yep I found your site when I was in the "okay I have them..now what" stage.....and no you are not responsible for anything I had done. :) I knew the advantages and disadvantages before I began.
    I really don't believe I do still have wax.....I too have done the deep cleanse a million times...minus the tea tree...1. I think that it in itself leaves residue (it is an oil right??) I have read on several sites that it will cause your locks to loosen...I think that should be more for people with more mature locks maybe. 2. It smells like ass
    Also aloe from what I have read should also be avoided on newer locks...or used very sparingly. It too will cause new locks to loosen.
    What I have found is very little useful advice for folks with newer locks ...who have chose to go the backcomb method. So maybe that is why there are so many "wax heads". Do I think I am just wanting a temp. hairstyle to look cool for my band? No
    Do I think my journey is less rewarding than anyone else's? No
    But like I said maybe I didn't use it long enough to see what damage could of been. I just know my own experience...and mine wasnt a bad one.

20. hippiehillbilly

yep that video is edited like every 3 seconds, has nothing to do with him jumping around. its just very poor editing..