Mopeds

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by free2fly, May 31, 2006.

1. free2fly

free2fly Members

Who owns one? Do you have pics/stories about your travels? I'd like to hear anything you can share....

opinions on them, comparisons even, or...

If you were going to buy one right now... which model moped would you choose??

Im asking because I am thinking about maybe getting a moped ...

I wasnt sure where the best place was to post this thread so I just posted it here under "hippies" .... but I'd really love to hear your opinions and stories and anything else you wanna share. Pics too, if you have any of your moped!

2. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

aww i want a moped. they look like so much fun. you just hop on and its like you're sitting in a chair. i guess that's kind of like a car too...but i like mopeds:)

3. free2fly

free2fly Members

lol, yep
    I see quite a few people driving them on the roads around here... it seems NC is lenient on the rules ...

I think theres alot of advantages to having one. I dont have a car or a drivers licence and I have no desire to go that route now, what with insurance and gas prices etc etc ... but, I DO like the idea of getting a moped. Its more my style ... hehe

Ive been reading some stories of people who have driven on journeys on mopeds... it sounds very cool.
    :)

4. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

that does sound cool. how easy is it to get a license? and they're pretty cheap right?

i think we should all get mopeds:)

5. I'm curious as to why more people don't use them, better millage and cheaper?!?!?

6. free2fly

free2fly Members

Im not sure... but I know it varies from state to state... heres a website Im lookin at right now.. http://www.moped2.org/main.htm

prices dont seem too bad ... I guess the best place to start looking is in the classifieds, Ive also seen them for sale at fleamarkets or on ebay .. just depends on if you want a new or used...

yah, we should! :)
    I'd like to see it safer for them to be driven on the roads tho... Ive heard of some nasty accidents where people on mopeds have been run over...

7. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Where my partner lives there's actually a "Moped Army"...it's a group of gutterpunks who drive around mopeds...usually they are rebuilt ones that are made up of more than one model of moped. They are dirt cheap too...a big group of them live down the street from Adam and there is always one or two in the yard to be sold.

You should definitely check the classifieds. You'll get the best prices. Just shop around. I think they are pretty cool...especially if you live in the city.

8. free2fly

free2fly Members

moped army ... haha that sounds awesome :)
    power in packs! bet its safer that way too

9. spooner

spooner is done.

because you can't take them on the highway or out in the winter.

because wet roads make them dangerous.

they are only really useful to the severly impoverished or as second vehicles.

10. hemp726

hemp726 Member

ya arround my house the only people that drive them are 14 or 15 yr olds who dont wanna wait til theyre 16 to get a vehicle, they are fun to ride on, but u cant haul much stuff on them unless it can fit inside the seat or u put a basket on them.

11. free2fly

free2fly Members

severely impoverished :rolleyes: whatever... well there are some of us who would rather not work our asses off just to make car/insurance payments and then pay for the ever-growing costs of gas for the gass guzzling cars .... sometimes its not worth the "luxury" of having a car .... oh wait I forgot... many kiddies have their parents give them cars so they dont have to worry about that cost there, anyways...

12. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

i got a like new 1987 Tomos, Bullet model, only for short tripz.

13. free2fly

free2fly Members

cool ... got a picture of it?
    :)

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Here's two models that I own. The first is a Sachs Prima G3. I have one from 1979 and one from 1980. The 1980 has the bigger 2HP engine and does about 35 MPH. These were made in Austria and the engine was made by Sachs in Germany. It has stainless fenders, a two-gallon gas tank, and a sturdy cradle-frame like a motorcycle. It's more like a motorcycle. It's the biggest moped I've ever driven in the U.S.

The second is a 1977 Batavaus HS50 made in Holland that I refurbished. It looked pretty bad when I got it. The HS50 and the Sachs above were the few motorcycle-style moped in the U.S. in the late 70s (note the seats). I modified the engine and boosted it up to about 2HP. It has stainless steel fenders, a baked powder epoxy coating (better than paint in many ways), and triple chome platings.

Tomos seems to be one of the more popular current mopeds in the U.S. They had good quality in the late 80s to early 90s. The Tomos Targa and LX are popular models.

The 70s was the era of moped use in the U.S. due to the gas crunches. It peaked around the late 70s. We're seeing a similar trend today as a result of the increased gas prices in the U.S.

The Midwest and New Jersey have a lot of vintage mopeds from the 70s lingering around. I'm not sure why that is. Ohio, Michigan, and NJ seem to be king in that respect. If you know how to fix them up, you can find them for as little as $50 to $100, especially in the Midwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Putting up a want ad is a great way to get one. You'll be amazed at what shows up. It's better than waiting for one to show up in a for-sale ad, and it's a lot less competitive from a buyer's standpoint. They also show up in metal scrapyards.

16. free2fly

free2fly Members

sweet rides!
    Thanks for the information and advice ... I dont have a clue about fixing something up.. lol .. but that would be great if I did!...... how hard are they to work on, by the way? and if one were to break down, are they expensive to get repaired by like a mechanic?

I love that vintage look.....

17. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Finding someone to fix up a vintage one could be difficult. Most bicycle and motorcycle shops probably wouldn't deal with them. Sometimes one can find a friend in the neighborhood who is good at those things and will do it for a reasonable price. If you bought a new Tomos from an authorized dealer they could probably fix it if something goes wrong.

The ease of fixing up vintage ones depends on what's wrong and what type of make and model you're dealing with. Puch and Sachs from the 70s are relatively easy to find parts for. So are Tomos from the 80s up till the present. Batavus are more rare and harder to find parts for, especially carburetors.

Special tools are needed for some repairs, such as a magneto puller. Most repairs use regular tools. There are places such as MopedWarehouse in NJ that sell parts and tools. There was a place in Michigan called 1977 Mopeds. I'm not sure if they are still in business. I think there's a place in Florida called Steve's mopeds that sells parts. The Moped Junkyard (in NJ or CT, I think) sells vintage parts also.

18. zerokool280

zerokool280 Member

dude i love mopeds they r fun to ride.

19. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

20. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

More people don´t pilot them arround because they are dangerouse and unstable !!
    I used to have one a couple of years back but I still have the scars !!
    Those things are terrible to pilot in the rain and vulnerable to fall over because of the slightest irregularity of the road, yes they are a lot cheaper to maintain than cars but there are so many disadvantages but that´s only my opinion... do what you please !!