moon gardens

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 420MAN, May 18, 2007.

1. 420MAN

420MAN Member

does anyone have one? if you do, care to share your thought and ideas. I'm in zone 3 and thinking of start one this year. just heard of them last week.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

We're also zone 3, Here's the only informative info I could find on the subject
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/moon/
    In our part of zone 3 when its dark enough to get moon light it's freezing. Now it's light until after 11PM. A month from now, 24 hrs of light.
    Where in zone 3 are you......

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

My parents are in zone 3... just 25 miles away ;) Mom has a moon-garden wrapped around the pergola outside their bedroom window.

She has: moonflowers, Artemesia, (aka "Silver Mound" - my favorite!) white Asters & Astilbe, four-o-clocks, mock-orange, (though that comes inside during the winter) and a few hostas with white edges. (sorry, dunno my hostas very well) Oh. And she has a tiny birch stand just behind the garden - that looks incredible at night too!

I know she's got more in there, I'm just not sure what everything else is. Basically, anything WHITE or very very fragrant is considered a good choice for moon gardens :) And a mound of foliage (like the silver mound) will look just as impressive at night as flowers, so don't rule out the non-flowering plants!
    love,
    mom

4. 420MAN

420MAN Member

I'm in south-eastern Manitoba, Canada.on 2 acres, miles away from any large city and I'm looking for a place where I can moondance. In a moon garden sounds so nice. we have darkness here from 10pm to 4 am, in the middle of summer and nice warm nights and I like wearing white, not after labour day of couse. PS if anyone is wondering I'm dyslexia

5. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Would have never guessed you are dyslexic.
    Got a good chuckle from parts of the last two posts when I peiced them together.
    Mama's part about the white flowers in the garden and 420man's moon dance.
    Their is an older native lady here in Seward who has lovely garden, all white flowers. Even the pathways are white crushed rock.
    Now for the dance part. She is a hard-core Elvis fan, has everything he ever recorded. She says she didn't care for his movies, but just loves his songs.
    So in my minds eye I can picture her dancing in her garden under the moonlight to
    "Jailhouse Rock" or " Viva Las Vegas ".
    Hope you can share my chuckle too........Dennis

6. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I don't have a moon garden but I sit outside a lot in the evening. Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) would be great. I can still see the blooms after nightfall, and fragarance is great.

7. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

I have been following this and I love the idea of having a moon garden. The sun went down at 10.30 last night and it was still twilight at almost 11pm - and the moon was up too. I'm on the west coast of Scotland. I love this time of year! - apart from the midges!!

8. 420MAN

420MAN Member

[. I'm on the west coast of Scotland. I love this time of year! - apart from the midges!![/QUOTE]We have warm nights here, between 16 C to 24 C, starting in June. What is it like on the west coast of Scotland? A little cool I think .
    We have alot of mosquitos, but I put up a bat house 3 yrs ago and I think I got some just moving it this year .
    The weather is the shits for planting right how, wet and cold , last time I saw the sun was 4 days ago. Hope things are better in Scotland and also in Alaska .

9. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

We have warm nights here, between 16 C to 24 C, starting in June. What is it like on the west coast of Scotland? A little cool I think .
    We have alot of mosquitos, but I put up a bat house 3 yrs ago and I think I got some just moving it this year .
    The weather is the shits for planting right how, wet and cold , last time I saw the sun was 4 days ago. Hope things are better in Scotland and also in Alaska .[/QUOTE]
    It was really windy and rainy on Sunday and my beans/peas took a bashing, despite the fact that they are caned. Sunday we had a steady drizzle all day which the garden loves. Now we are due temperatures of 23/24 this week. Everything in my garden is flourishing. The salad has gone mad. The raspberries and strawberries likewise with fruit setting already - about a month too soon.

We live on a peninsular and so the weather tends to be changeable. It can be chucking it down where our cottage is and two miles up the road they have bright sunshine.

The swallows are here and in the early evenings we have bats so they tend to take care of the midges but the weather over the weekend was ideal for them.

I cropped some rhubarb and made jam and some crumbles for the freezer. This warm wet weather - great for that too.

I'm wondering where I can put a bed for a moon garden with out taking too much space from Ree's lawn area. Perhaps I should get another barrel from the distillery and put it on the deck!? Full moon last week was amazing the moon was up high and the sun setting over Islay and Jura at the same time. I LOVE living here!!! Even if my beans do get battered!

10. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I've had a moon garden for many years now. We live in zone 8, in Texas. I have in my garden moonflowers(of course), morning glorys, white petunias, dusty miller, artemesia, white angel trumpets, geraniums, poppies, sage, I also have a silver gazing ball in the center surrounded by faeries and a white bench. When the moon is full it's beautiful, when it isn't full, my husband and I fill mason jars and fill with sand and put white candles in them and light them.

11. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

CelticMuse's post reminded me of something else my mom has done. When she has company over, or for special days when she knows she'll be outside at night she puts tealights into glass jars - and suspends them from the birch trees (and her apple & cherry trees) with wire "hangers" wrapped around the neck of the jar. The little points of light look like they're floating, and give the yard a soft romantic/ethereal glow :)
    love,
    mom

12. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Well we are going to use the half barrel as it is the right shape!! Now we just have to get it planted up.

Thanks for the inspiration!