Moomin books

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by sky_pink, May 9, 2004.

1. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Just how popular are the Moomin series (books such as Moominsummer Madness, Moominland Midwinter etc.) by Tove Jansson where you live?

I think they are great. I loved them as a child, but I love them even more now that I'm an adult (well... at least technically I am... :D).

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

They were popular in Russia when I was 3-4... I used to love them back then.

Here in Honduras, they do not exist.

3. miabubble

miabubble Member

In Russia.. as said above... It was the best bedtime reading ever...

and sky_pink you need to talk to moominmama and moominpapa, they are the coolest moominparents ever and they kick around in the UK forums quite a bit :)

4. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

Well as you might guess by my moniker, the books are just rather slightly well read in this household. Loved them as a child, didn't realise just how much there was to them until I read them to my children, and I still read them as a great escape from the stresses of day to day living.

I love the moomins and their amazing extended family, they are for me the archeypal free living, caring, peaceful hippy family, that just happen to look slightly like well rounded white hippos.........................

Are they popular in the UK (where I currently reside, although of course I really live in Moominvalley) Well they are still in print(Moominvalley in November did go out of print for several years though) and lots of "liberal parents" read them wistfully to their children(when they have been dragged away from GrandAutoTheft etc etc). And they have aged well, so will be with us as a childrens classic for sometime I hope,

will be interested in replies from Scandinavian hipforumers to this thread,

with love
    Moominmamma

5. sky_pink

I think the thing I absolutely love about them is their philosophy of life. House underwater? Well, we needed a change anyway, now if there just was a way to get marmelade...

6. acid*rain~bow

acid*rain~bow Member

:)

my mum is finnish so she introduced me to the stories at an early age, hee-hee

i agree that the books are perfect for both children and adults...because both generations can never grow too old for that magical/trippy/inviting/timeless place called imagination - and i really think that the fantasy of the reader plays a big part in reading them

7. Graham

Graham Member

is the cartoon serioes the same as the books? because i used to watch those alot :)

8. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

It's so wonderful that the Moomins are known in all over the world. :) I'm from Finland and the Moomins are naturally very popular here. We even have this adventure park over here that is all about the Moomins and there's this huuuuuge Moomin house that looks exactly like the one in the books.
    Anyway... I grew up with the Moomins, my mom started reading me the books when I was very little and been loving them ever since. They're wonderful books, I still read them from time to time. :D My fave characters are Nipsu (I don't know what his name is in the English translation, but the one who's always either eating or sleeping) and Little Myy.

9. sky_pink

Well, I absolutely love the little animal that loves pretty things and wanted to tame the kitten... Naturally, I also love... Myy did you say? (The Latvian translations are totally different.) Heck, all of them are great!

Which is your favourite Moomin book? Mine might very well be Moominsummer Madness... although now that I think about it, I don;t know, really.

10. paix

paix Senior Member

I've never heard of the books, but now I'm intruiged, I'm gonna go look them up!

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I always liked Snufkin (not sure if that's the right translation in other languages)... he had that traveling musical soul to him.

12. God

God Member

God (myself), haha, they are so great!

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Snufkin is in Finnish translation Nuuskamuikkunen. :D Gotta love the name, Nuuskamuikkunen.
    I really can't decide which of the books is my favourite. I love them all so much! :)

14. acid*rain~bow

acid*rain~bow Member

täällä kummittelee siis muitakin suomalaisia...?

:p

my fave characters are little myy (of course... ;)), hemuli (the *scientific* one..he collects everything? and is always a bit confused..), nipsu and haisuli (the small evil-grinning troll...*hee-hee*)

[​IMG]

but actually i love all of them..they´re so individual

15. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Hyvaa paivaa!

I've never read them, at least I don't think so. But with my recent discovery of a love for all things Finnish, I'm going to have to find them! :)

Good to see a few Finnish people here!

16. katherine

katherine Member

I used to love the cartoon series, although sadly I havn't seen it for ages, but I never knew there were books aswell. I'll have to have a look for them some time.

17. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

BÖÖÖÖ!! Kummittelee nimenomaan. ;)

Ohh how could I forget Haisuli (is it Stinky in English translation?)?!? I absolutely love him, he's such a meanie. :D

18. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

Hmm I find it so hard to pick out a favourite, but I love Little MY, and of course snufkin is the ultimate in cool.

But you know Moominmamma has so much going for her,she is so mellow,yet self sufficient and capable,I've modelled my whole mothering style oh her! When in doubt I ask myself what would Moominmamma do next?

19. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

But i'm intrested all stop by the libary right before i leave to get breakfast and some warhamer stuff.

ever heard of winnie the poo???? and anne of green gables????

20. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

i was just on google did a quick search for Moomin books and they seem familar some how???

Weird, i've seen then before but i can't recall where, maybe when i was younger i saw them.