modest mouse!

Discussion in 'Music' started by pink floyd, May 12, 2004.

1. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

have you ever listened to a cd for the first time and not really liked it at all, but then listened to it again and the music really grew on ya? thats whathappened to me with modest mouse.
    i think they are a kickass band, one which i find myself listening to all the time. i used to not like em as much at all (the lead singer's voice really got on my nerves), but now i almost crave that offbeat voice.
    one of my favorite modest mouse songs is "talking shit about a pretty sunset"
    anyone else have some favorites?

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I like the cd ¨Building Nothing out of Something¨ best I think. I wasn´t that into them at first, but they grew on me, especially after I saw them play.

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I don't have a cd, but I know a few of their songs, I really like the way they sound.

One of their songs reminded me of a Nirvana(I think) song from back in the day that I can't really put my finger on.

But do you know how you can hear a song for the first time and swear you've heard it millions of times before? That's what its like and everytime I hear that song(and now I can't think of what it's called) I think the same thing!

4. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

My favorite song by them is probably either Dramamine or Birds vs. Worms. So awesome. I love the guys voice, there's just something about it that gets me.

5. sonik

sonik Member

They are OK. THough I could be suffering form the same probalem as I have only heard there stuff a wee bit.

:cool:

6. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

I felt the same way about Modest Mouse. At first I thought they were ok, but they grew on me. The lead singer's voice is that kind of voice that makes you sad or melancholy though....atleast that how it is for me. I haven't heard their new cd yet, but I've heard it is really good!

7. dobro

dobro Member

yeah, i wasn't too into them at first, i had about four of their songs on my computer before my brother and his obsessed gf took me to their show at the norva. i must say that their choice of opening acts was terrible..and that the lead singer, isaac brock, acts like a real asshole, and that we've heard the city called norfuck instead of norfolk way too many times before...but that i still went home and downloaded twenty of their mp3s immediately and fell in love with them.

eh, it happens. anyone notice how theyre suddenly becoming popular, since they "sold out" and everything? i just hope that everybody who's hearing them for the first time doesn't lump them in with the new wave of whateverness ala the von bondies, franz ferdinand etc..

8. Mintaoism

Mintaoism Member

Yeah that happens To me especially with new music. "toxic" by britney, I thought it were crap the first time I listened to it but I'm bopping to it all the time with my friends. I generally don't like rap music so I keep away from the rap section in HMV so i don't start to like it. Give me the chili's and leave me be!

9. Melody

Melody Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've only heard a few of their songs. I like them, but they all sound the same! Their mainstream song isn't the best I've heard.

10. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I love Modest Mouse! Favorite song by them is 3rd Planet.

"The Universe is shaped exactly like the earth, if you go straight long enough you end up where you were." ;)

11. TheGuyOnCrack

TheGuyOnCrack Member

yea Modest Mouse is a really good band. I fell in love the song Dramamine after hearing it while i was on Dramamine :p . That song is so awesome.. i mean, what other bands have made a song about what it is like to be in a dramamine like state?

Travelling swallowing Dramamine
    Feeling spaced breathing out listerine
    I'd said what I'd said that I'd tell ya
    And that you'd killed the better part of me
    If you could just milk it for everything
    I've said what I'd said and you know what I mean
    But I still can't focus on anything
    We kiss on the mouth but still cough down our sleeves
    Travelling swallowing dramamine
    Look at your face like you're killed in a dream
    And you think you've figured out everything
    I think I know my geometry pretty damn well
    You say what you need so you'll get more
    If you could just milk it for everything
    I've said what I said and you know what I mean
    But I can't still focus on anything

lol great song... btw, the new modest mouse cd sucked big time! :(

12. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I did'nt like that song float on, it was too damn depressing, but I saw them on lenno and they were pretty good. So idk.

13. PhanPhavorite

PhanPhavorite Member

I wrote them off at first, but a friend persisted and I now own to of there CDs.
    My favorites are:
    Dark Center of the Universe
    Bury Me With It
    Bukowski